Rory-Class Act | The Boneyard

Rory-Class Act

Reaction Score
For the golfers/golf fans.. As Rory is walking off the green yesterday after winning the Championship.. He gives the Scheffler family hugs/handshakes.. Apologizes to them for winning.. And compliments them on Scottie's great year.

Refreshing to see in this day and age . Class act.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Rory's a good dude and you'll rarely see him act any other way.

Scheffler should be comforted by knowing he picked up $5.75 million for a weeks worth of golf.

But this is more of Tom Brady comforting Peyton Manning over a loss than it is a superstar taking out a journeyman for whom a win would be a life altering event. Both will be fine and while this is another line for Rory's legacy, it most likely doesn't affect Scheffler's legacy at all. He's got plenty of chances going forward to write his legacy.

I'll also add it says a bit about competitors and fandom that a simple act of sportsmanship catches our attention.

Reaction Score
Rory's a good dude and you'll rarely see him act any other way.

Scheffler should be comforted by knowing he picked up $5.75 million for a weeks worth of golf.

But this is more of Tom Brady comforting Peyton Manning over a loss than it is a superstar taking out a journeyman for whom a win would be a life altering event. Both will be fine and while this is another line for Rory's legacy, it most likely doesn't affect Scheffler's legacy at all. He's got plenty of chances going forward to write his legacy.

I'll also add it says a bit about competitors and fandom that a simple act of sportsmanship catches our attention.
It seemed a little more than just good sportmanship.

Reaction Score
There is a void with Phil jumping to LIV and Tiger's future so uncertain. Phil lost a good chunk of his fanbase with their loyalty to the PGA and its history. Sheffler needs to continue to be great for a few more years and his following could explode, but the way Rory defended the PGA brand and called other guys out made an impression with many of its diehard fans.
Rory just feels legit and genuine about his love/loyalty for the PGA and is easy to root for.

Reaction Score
Rory has improved year after year with me but jumped to a new level these past few months, including his communication with Tiger as he recuperated. And his stance on the PGA has put him near the top for me, great kid period!!

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Rory off the course is off the charts outstanding. On the course I don't think I've seen anyone drive the ball consistently as straight and long as him since Greg Norman. But I found Scheffler's play really surprising. He came in with a huge lead, and couldn't put the ball in the fairway all day, even missing sometimes with his often 300 yard 3 wood. Rory made birdies, and he didn't. That 4 iron he hit on 18 that wound up in the bunker so far right was not what you'd expect, given the position he was in and needing at minimum a birdie if not eagle.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
There is a void with Phil jumping to LIV and Tiger's future so uncertain. Phil lost a good chunk of his fanbase with their loyalty to the PGA and its history. Sheffler needs to continue to be great for a few more years and his following could explode, but the way Rory defended the PGA brand and called other guys out made an impression with many of its diehard fans.
Rory just feels legit and genuine about his love/loyalty for the PGA and is easy to root for.
Regarding Tiger, although he can play really well, he's both in his late 40's now (47 later this year), and hobbled. Playing against younger, physically sound and really solid players he's on the outside looking in now. His leg injury and what he went through to even walk again is terrible, and just getting on the course for four rounds is and will continue to be a struggle. His leg might improve for a year or two more, but not back to "normal", and he'll keep getting older. If they didn't let Casey Martin, who has now lost that problem leg, a cart then they won't let Tiger use a cart.

Reaction Score
Regarding Tiger, although he can play really well, he's both in his late 40's now (47 later this year), and hobbled. Playing against younger, physically sound and really solid players he's on the outside looking in now. His leg injury and what he went through to even walk again is terrible, and just getting on the course for four rounds is and will continue to be a struggle. His leg might improve for a year or two more, but not back to "normal", and he'll keep getting older. If they didn't let Casey Martin, who has now lost that problem leg, a cart then they won't let Tiger use a cart.
I don’t think Tiger would use a cart even if they let him. Too much pride in playing the game….

Reaction Score
Meh… he’s still kind of arrogant. He’s no Shane Lowry but kudos for the win and hugs all around.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
I don’t think Tiger would use a cart even if they let him. Too much pride in playing the game….
I agree, didn't make that clear. But even if he asked, they'd also say no.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Rory off the course is off the charts outstanding. On the course I don't think I've seen anyone drive the ball consistently as straight and long as him since Greg Norman. But I found Scheffler's play really surprising. He came in with a huge lead, and couldn't put the ball in the fairway all day, even missing sometimes with his often 300 yard 3 wood. Rory made birdies, and he didn't. That 4 iron he hit on 18 that wound up in the bunker so far right was not what you'd expect, given the position he was in and needing at minimum a birdie if not eagle.

Interesting observation on Rory's driving.

I caught most of the back 9 on Sunday and was thinking Rory's driving might pit him only behind Tiger and Jack as far as a weapon separating him from the field.

Norman was great and DJ when he is striping it is in Rory's category.

Compared to Tiger, Jack, Norman and DJ, Rory is a small guy
5'9"ish and maybe 180 lbs.

Back in '09 I got his autograph in the parking lot at Sawgrass a week or so after his first US win.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score

I caught most of the back 9 on Sunday and was thinking Rory's driving might pit him only behind Tiger and Jack as far as a weapon separating him from the field.

Back in '09 I got his autograph in the parking lot at Sawgrass a week or so after his first US win.
They have the swing track to follow the ball on drives now. From behind most of his drives are just dead straight. He aims it at a spot, and hits that spot. He seems to get into more trouble when he has to move it right or left. A lot of guys have gone to the "controlled fade" - DJ has, saw him talk about it on a video - for consistency. It's also Scheffler's favored flight, but he was off and was hitting pull-hooks an awful lot on Sunday. Jack moved the ball around when he felt it was needed, so does/did Tiger - hit a fade sometimes, a draw when you need it. Norman was just long and straight.

I agree on his size though. Phenomenal length for a guy who's maybe 5'9", maybe 5"10". He gets in such a strong position, lot of torque, at the top. Same with Schauffele, who isn't a big guy either but was poking it out there 335. You expect that from a bigger guy like Cameron Young, or Jason Kokrak. Those launch monitors and swing speed training seem to work when you've got the stability to control it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Upon further research it would have been 2010 when I got Rory's autograph. Right after his first PGA Tour win and just turned 21.

Reaction Score
My brother-in-law is a chief and he worked the players kitchen at East Lake during the tournament for years. He did it long enough that the players knew him and knew what special orders he could make. He speaks very highly of Rory and what a good guy he is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom