Rooting for Perfection | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rooting for Perfection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Listen, I know I'm going to be hated on the board for posting this thread because for some reason people think we have this rivalry with Kentucky and Calipari because we've played them in big games over the past couple of years (which we won btw), but hear me out.

Without UConn in the tournament, I'm starting to come around and root for UK to run the table. Their team has an opportunity to complete a perfect season, and that is an incredible feet in a sport where most of the great players are required to only stay for one season.

Everyone loves to hate the villains (Patriots, Yankees, Miami Heat) in sports, but why can't people just appreciate the greatness of certain teams? Sure Calipari has had his run ins with the NCAA (UConn also has too) but being able to recruit nine (9!) McDonald's All Americans and getting them to check their egos' at the door to buy into a pro style system in college basketball is remarkable. They play an entertaining style of the game in an age where guys are "over-coaching" literally every single position, leading to boring, awful games in the 50's (I'm looking at you Virginia). As a basketball and sports fan, I've realized that you can be the blowhard who refuses to acknowledge greatness, or you can be the person who can appreciate it.

Without a rooting interest, I'm going to enjoy watching quality basketball the rest of the tournament and will acknowledge that this Kentucky team is one of the all time greats if they finish it out. I also know that if UConn miraculously made it into the tournament, we'd be the one team they wouldn't want to run into...
Added to ignore! Just kidding but Ridiculous!!!

Reaction Score
On the bright side...Cal would have a lot of incentive to go back to NBA if has a perfect year. What would really be left for him in College?

Reaction Score
Calamari doesn't care about any of his kids education or development.
He rigs their APR results, so UK doesn't get caught.
He brings in Rappers & Actors/Actresses to sell recruits (see M. Newman).
If his kids are not one & done, he'll just bring in 5 more McD's All American Freshmen to replace them.
The kind of kids he attracts want the fast track to the NBA (i.e. instant gratification).
He's a total Used Car Salesman. He's had "issues" at UMess & Memphis (plus the NBA).
If you want to see a team with 9 HS All Americans win the NCAA Championship, going undefeated. Good for you.
There's the reason why the moniker "KenSucky" was developed....
I'll admit I'm tired of reading the 1,857 ESPN stories about them & their 9 first round draft picks in June.
Root for them if you want. The best team money can buy.

Dropping the Mic..... ;)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I may be a little late to this thread but if the initial post doesn't warrant a public hanging I don't think anything does.

Reaction Score
Rooting for UK is like rooting for the orca when it spots a seal. I don't want to sound sanctimonious but everything about that program is bad for college basketball.

Reaction Score
Listen, I know I'm going to be hated on the board for posting this thread because for some reason people think we have this rivalry with Kentucky and Calipari because we've played them in big games over the past couple of years (which we won btw), but hear me out.

Without UConn in the tournament, I'm starting to come around and root for UK to run the table. Their team has an opportunity to complete a perfect season, and that is an incredible feet in a sport where most of the great players are required to only stay for one season.

Everyone loves to hate the villains (Patriots, Yankees, Miami Heat) in sports, but why can't people just appreciate the greatness of certain teams? Sure Calipari has had his run ins with the NCAA (UConn also has too) but being able to recruit nine (9!) McDonald's All Americans and getting them to check their egos' at the door to buy into a pro style system in college basketball is remarkable. They play an entertaining style of the game in an age where guys are "over-coaching" literally every single position, leading to boring, awful games in the 50's (I'm looking at you Virginia). As a basketball and sports fan, I've realized that you can be the blowhard who refuses to acknowledge greatness, or you can be the person who can appreciate it.

Without a rooting interest, I'm going to enjoy watching quality basketball the rest of the tournament and will acknowledge that this Kentucky team is one of the all time greats if they finish it out. I also know that if UConn miraculously made it into the tournament, we'd be the one team they wouldn't want to run into...

No one would like it if in professional sports one team got the 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 7th picks in the first round of the draft, every single year. Then watching that team win with said players. It's not fun. It's stupid.

Reaction Score
Force NBA players to go to college for a year
Put 10 together on the same team
Proto-NBA team beats a lot of college teams
Not sure how that's such an amazing feat.

Reaction Score
Calamari doesn't care about any of his kids education or development.
He rigs their APR results, so UK doesn't get caught.
He brings in Rappers & Actors/Actresses to sell recruits (see M. Newman).
If his kids are not one & done, he'll just bring in 5 more McD's All American Freshmen to replace them.
The kind of kids he attracts want the fast track to the NBA (i.e. instant gratification).
He's a total Used Car Salesman. He's had "issues" at UMess & Memphis (plus the NBA).
If you want to see a team with 9 HS All Americans win the NCAA Championship, going undefeated. Good for you.
There's the reason why the moniker "KenSucky" was developed....
I'll admit I'm tired of reading the 1,857 ESPN stories about them & their 9 first round draft picks in June.
Root for them if you want. The best team money can buy.

Dropping the Mic..... ;)

You have to say something compelling before you drop the mic.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm in my early twenties, so the UConn (Calhoun)-UMass (Cal) rivalry really means nothing to me.

It wasn't a rivalry, it was the Squid dishonestly smearing UConn. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I bet the OP is a closet Squid fan too

who does he want to win if not UK? Dook?

has he been banned yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky