Room Or Interest In Mac for 2021? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Room Or Interest In Mac for 2021?

Reaction Score
While it’s fun speculating, I think Hurley has a pretty solid idea of what he wants and how to get it done. Thrilled with what he’s done to build the team. No doubt more is to come as we march back to take back the throne.

Reaction Score
The 3x-4x I've watched Etienne, he's played ok but hasn't played to his ranking . He has shown certain particular skills, like the ability to shoot from mid range and the 3 point line, as well as the mobility to defensively pressure the ball and trap guards in the backcourt at the point of a full court zone press, (mobility to trap but don't overly infer quickness). To me, that means he has the mobility to do the defensive hedging and retreating back to the paint that Hurley likes from bigs. He has missed a lot of shots at the rim when I have seen him. Like Carlton, he puts back some of those misses. Athletically he's a lot like Carlton. The key with him is that he has a scoring mindset and gives a team offense. I think he can play the 4 and cover the center position whenever needed on any switching. Clingan and Brown-Ferguson are only going to be centers and one or the other will be on the court, Sanogo is a center that might be able to play with another big. Etienne definitely can because of his shooting. I don't see any reason these 4 can't be on the same team. (I'll also admit that my sense of greed wants Alex Karaban, and now that I have been shown the light, Kyle Filipowski) That is a 6 man national championship rotation of bigs in 2022 that might find 3 on the floor together in certain situations due to the perimeter skills of Karaban & Filipowski.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Carlton and Whaley will be graduating. Plenty of room for Etienne.

Maybe. Does he think that? Sanogo, Javonte Brown Ferguson and Springs each with 3 more years of eligibility. The downside of Springs redshirt year is that we brought in 3 bigs in one class. Plus Akok, who we might have expected to go pro, will be delayed in that effort. If Sanogo ends up looking like a two year player, then Mac makes more sense.

Would like a PG for 2021 to learn behind Cole and Gaffney. Probably a shooting guard and/or wing as well.

Reaction Score
Sanogo, Javonte Brown Ferguson and Springs each with 3 more years of eligibility
i said something similar above. in 2021 we could have:

PF- akok/springs/patterson(?)
C- sanogo/brown/mac(?)

that's a lot of bigs and there aren't a lot of minutes available behind akok and sanogo to begin with.
but just to play devil's advocate- in 2022 akok and sanogo expect to be gone, in which case we might be thin up front without mac:

PF- springs/patterson
C- brown/clingan(?)

is clingan expected to start as a freshman or would we have to rely on brown developing into a quality starter as a junior? springs can split time at C too though, which would balance things out. and lets not forget about martin who will probably be a redshirt senior in 2022 and can play some stretch 4.

PF- springs/patterson/martin
C- brown/clingan

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
i said something similar above. in 2021 we could have:

PF- akok/springs/patterson(?)
C- sanogo/brown/mac(?)

that's a lot of bigs and there aren't a lot of minutes available behind akok and sanogo to begin with.
but just to play devil's advocate- in 2022 akok and sanogo expect to be gone, in which case we might be thin up front without mac:

PF- springs/patterson
C- brown/clingan(?)

is clingan expected to start as a freshman or would we have to rely on brown developing into a quality starter as a junior? springs could also play some C though, which would balance things out. and lets not forget about martin who will probably be a senior in 2022 and can play some stretch 4.

PF- springs/patterson/martin
C- brown/clingan

Who is Patterson?

Reaction Score
Did I miss a commitment? He looks like a SF to me.

No commitment and I don't think we're a leader by any means. Not sure why he's being penciled in yet by anyone

Reaction Score
Did I miss a commitment? He looks like a SF to me.
he's listed 6'8 210 in places which would make him an ideal stretch 4 in an otherwise weak class at that position
No commitment and I don't think we're a leader by any means. Not sure why he's being penciled in yet by anyone
no penciling in i put a question mark next to his name. he's just a placeholder stretch 4 b/c i think an akok backup/replacement is a priority for hurley in 2021, with gak and samson johnson looking like backup plans for now.

if springs is really 6'10 now and doesnt develop a three pointer i think he splits his time between PF/C

Last edited:

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Definite departures: Tyler Polley, Isaiah Whaley, Josh Carlton

Possible Early departures: James Bouknight, Andre Jackson(would be a special season)

2021 Wish List: Rahsool Diggins, Hunter Sallis, Patterson/Keels/Sampson, Mac Etienne

Reaction Score
I’m not too worried about getting Mac. I think a lot of people are sleeping on Javonte Brown Ferguson. He’s going to play next year and start as a sophomore. I think the priority should be a scoring guard to start after bouk leaves and a SF who can play stretch 4. Patterson would be a good pick up but he strikes me as someone who expects to start year 1. A PG will be needed to develop as gaffneys back up the following year as well. Clingan 2022.

Reaction Score
He’s going to play next year and start as a sophomore
sanogo is definitely starting as a sophomore along with akok

i agree a backup/replacement stretch 4 is more important than a C in 2021 since we'll also have brown and springs is a PF/C

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After evaluating Mac Etienne last December, I saw a prospect who quickly was reaching his max potential at the high school level meaning that he could move into the 2020 class. Six months later, Etienne is weighing a move into the 2020 class and is currently ’50-50′ on it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom