Room for Badams today? | The Boneyard

Room for Badams today?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Philadelphia, PA

Former UConn starter and 30 mpg guard Brendan Adams has been a DNP coach’s decision for a couple games. Much how Senior big man Josh Carlton re-emerged vs Providence College on Tuesday to much up against the big and physical Nate Watson, will Adams be needed to help contain Villanova’s crafty veteran backcourt? At the very least, his fouls may be needed to avoid trouble for key backcourt teammates Jalen Gaffney, RJ Cole, and Big East POY candidate Sophomore James Bouknight.

Reaction Score
If he sees the floor then things are not going well for the good guys.

Nah. I see us playing a lot of small today, especially if Akok and Polley are both minutes limited. Adams playing isn’t necessarily a sign of panic. Frankly, I’m fine with him playing with Bouk back and less (make that no) pressure to take shots that fall to him. With Bouk out, playing the 2 I’m sure he felt pressure to score.

Reaction Score
Out of the remaining games this regular season, this is the most likely. I do not trust Sanogo or Carlton's ability to guard anyone on Nova aside from Eric Dixson so Adams can be that wing (along with Martin/Jackson/Bouk) to guard either Nova's guards/wings who all have size.

Bottom line, Whaley needs to be on JRE all game and only Akok should spell Whaley if needed. If Akok isn't ready to play, then Whaley's defense will be the #2 factor in this game, just behind UConn's ability to his threes (since Nova stinks at that).

Back to Adams, I trust him (and really any of our wings) to guard anyone on the team aside from JRE, so we'll need Adams' five fouls today.

I mentioned in another thread that I love the Polley defensive matchup on Cole Swider. It allows us Polley to maximize his value as a spot shooter while guarding a guy who doesn't do much besides shoot threes...just follow Swider along the perimeter and Polley will be fine on D. Another interesting defensive matchup is Bouk on Swider, especially if Bouk gets in foul trouble. It allows Bouk to stay in the game and have a simple defensive assignment so he can maximize his PT on the offensive end.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nova's guards are all fairly physical and like to force their way in when not making shots. Gillespie, Moore, Daniels and Samuels all will back their defenders in so Brendan will get some minutes I would think. Cole is tough but small and Gaff has been backed down in the past so there should be some minutes available to BA.

Reaction Score
He might have a small part of a rotation to D up against Novas guards and to defense against their 3 point shooting. I think the key of the game is to protect the 3 point shooting of Nova.

Jackson needs his minutes upped even more because of his defensive quickness and length. He has stood out at how quick he can go from helping out sliding over across the paint to help guard a big down low then rotate back to the player he is defending who is behind the 3 in the weak side corner.

Protect the 3 and let our biggest big do his part down low.

Reaction Score
Nova is going to go right at Whaley. We need a lot of fronting JRE today if possible

Notice we never front anyone, why I have no idea. We will live and die with how well we get our hands straight up, stay out of foul trouble and be sure to make their possessions one and done. They're going to make shots, we have to also. But how we rebound the ball will be a key, no more excessive need to block too many shots instead box out and get the boards. Also don't rush to to the shooter without being in control to stop their first step. We get burnt rushing to the shooter and he catches and blows by creating easy opportunities on the interior. Defense needs to be on their feet and precise at all times, good ball fakers for Nova. Stay on the ground and use your length to change their shot not your jumping ability.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We have seen this before with Hurley. It seems like he either loves you or hates you in terms of playing time. It wouldn’t surprise me though if Adams got a message “this is what I want you to do”. I think he’ll play a good role defensively in this game.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
never the star, but a welcome addition to any table.
there's always room for jello.

Reaction Score
Adams will get some run today. What he does with that time remains to be seen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom