Not open for further replies.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Give my man a line and he'll hit for 2k yards

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
not sure about that, but I could see him and Newsome each getting 1000 yards in a season behind a good line
Love the guy he's a battler

Reaction Score
Coach Diaco has said in an ideal world his offense of choice involves using a lot of heavy personnel (two tights, extra linemen). We do not have tight ends who can block. We do not have 5 offensive linemen who can block. But, we have the running backs to make this system work. Ron Johnson punishes tacklers, and finishes runs.

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
Coach Diaco has said in an ideal world his offense of choice involves using a lot of heavy personnel (two tights, extra linemen). We do not have tight ends who can block. We do not have 5 offensive linemen who can block. But, we have the running backs to make this system work. Ron Johnson punishes tacklers, and finishes runs.
Tommy Meyer blew that great run he had with a hold, your right he punishes everyone who attempts to tackle him

Reaction Score
Agreed, he is a tough runner and one that fits well with the historical UCONN football identity of punishing and wearing down the defense.

Reaction Score
not sure about that, but I could see him and Newsome each getting 1000 yards in a season behind a good line

And no dumb penalties to call back big plays. That would help significantly, too.

Reaction Score
Tommy Meyer blew that great run he had with a hold, your right he punishes everyone who attempts to tackle him

Catch 22 on that one. The hole is not there unless Tommy held. Sometimes I wonder if people are paying attention.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Catch 22 on that one. The hole is not there unless Tommy held. Sometimes I wonder if people are paying attention.
The hole would be there if he was using the blocking process he was taught - he was asked afterwards if he loved football.

Reaction Score
Johnson is the best looking freshman running back we have had here in years. He will keep me going to the games. Lets hope the line continues to improve and they can develop a tight end who can block.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Using proper blocking technique and swinging his butt in the hole to put himself between rj and the defender would have made that hole even bigger. if you go back and watch the play the DE does exactly what he is supposed to, occupies his man with arms extended and maintains his gap ridding Myers down the line till rj reaches the los at which time he attempts to shed his block and make the tackle. So yes if Myers didn't hold he probably would have been tackled but if Myers executed his block correctly we would have had the same effect because surprisingly that play was blocked up beautifully.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There are some talented youth on this team, primarily at RB. If we do wind up transitioning to more a read-option offense with a more athletic QB, it is nice to have two young talented backs in a read-option.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well if they executed their blocking they would have bigger plays.

It doesn't really change the fact that Meyers didn't negate a big gain by holding. The big gain doesn't exist without the hold.

Reaction Score
Getting Johnson late in the recruiting season was a coup and I think we will eventually say the same thing about Diggs.

Reaction Score
Getting Johnson late in the recruiting season was a coup and I think we will eventually say the same thing about Diggs.
Yeah, good pick up but Diggs will be good is one of many freshmen who should have not burned their shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom