Roll Call... All Veterans... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Roll Call... All Veterans...

Reaction Score
Nha Trang, Vietnam 1965-66. USS Leroy Eltinge landing in Cam Rhan Bay. I’m in there somewhere.

1636646969429.jpeg

Reaction Score
I can make no claim to Veteran's status whatsoever, but want to salute those that are and tell a story or two.

My dad was certainly of age to be drafted for WWII, but because he was a young physicist was recruited to be part of the Manhattan Project instead, working at the first controlled nuclear reaction in Chicago, and then at Hanford, Washington producing the fuel (plutonium) for the second bomb.

I received a draft number of 45 while at Uconn but like many others had a student deferment to complete my undergraduate degree, but the Vietnam war ended just before I graduated, so I didn't serve either.

The last interesting thing is I currently live most of the year in a retirement community (The Villages, Florida) that probably has the highest percentage of veterans of anyplace in the country. Veteran's day is pretty important here and we salute our veterans.

Reaction Score
USAF 1968 to 1972. Ton Son Nhut AFB, Vietnam and Rhein-Main AFB, Germany. I was in aircraft maintenance -instruments and avionics. In Germany all the airplanes were old (even then) C-118 and C-131 medivac birds. They flew to all the European bases, including Torrejon, to pick up and deliver patients to Weisbaden. At one point one of the airplanes had a problem that only showed up in flight so I flew with it to trouble shoot in the air. Found the problem and at Torrejon spend hours scrounging around for the part. A guy that was in the instrument shop with me in Vietnam was at Torrejon and showed me the sights. This little trip had a rough start; there was an electronics bay in the little galley area behind the cockpit I had to access that had a door that swung up. After takeoff from Rhein-Main I popped the access panel up and did my thing. What I didn't notice was that when the panel was up it hit the button that dispensed coffee from the urn that sat above the panel and drained most of the coffee out. This was like 5am and the crew was not amused.

Same time frame for you and I - '68 to '72. I was in the Dental Clinic - if you happened to stop in, I'm sure either myself or other staff took good care of you...1

Reaction Score
173rd airborne 1963-1964 on Okinawa,82nd airborne 1965, jumped from a helicopter,(luckily i had a parachute), to join the Dominican republic crisis in may of 1965,and my 3 years were up after 50 days there. As always may all of our service people be as fortunate to come home as i was.

Reaction Score
Same time frame for you and I - '68 to '72. I was in the Dental Clinic - if you happened to stop in, I'm sure either myself or other staff took good care of you...1
I started basic on 3/21 so we might have been at Lackland at the same time. While in basic I had an impacted tooth removed and became infected, which made the misery of basic that much worse. Not your fault Scud!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
U.S. Army 1973 - 1997, Basic training at Fort Knox, KY, AIT at Fort Lee, VA, Quartermaster rules. With 16 years in Europe, with deployment to the Gulf, 1 year in Taegu Korea, and 7+ years stateside. Thanks to all that served.

Reaction Score
U. S. Army 1962-1965. Army Language School, two years at Andrews Barracks in Lichterfelde section of occupied Berlin October 1963-October 1965 serving in the 78th USASA SOU.

The Berlin Wall had been put up some two plus years ago and tensions were still high. Our barracks was within a half mile of the East German (die sogenannte Deutsche Demokratische Republik) border with a thick barbed wire fence and patrolled by the Volkspolizei with their German Shepherd guard dogs. Interesting times in a wonderful city where the people liked Americans and the beer was outstanding.

Reaction Score
U. S. Army 1962-1965. Army Language School, two years at Andrews Barracks in Lichterfelde section of occupied Berlin October 1963-October 1965 serving in the 78th USASA SOU.

The Berlin Wall had been put up some two plus years ago and tensions were still high. Our barracks was within a half mile of the East German (die sogenannte Deutsche Demokratische Republik) border with a thick barbed wire fence and patrolled by the Volkspolizei with their German Shepherd guard dogs. Interesting times in a wonderful city where the people liked Americans and the beer was outstanding.
A little side note to your tour of duty - one day at our clinic in Torrejon, Spain we had a retired Army officer, Colonel Glover Johns, come in. He described the Berlin standoff they had with the Communists; I believe it was around 1960. He said he was in the lead tank, his muzzle pointed at the lead Soviet tank. He told us he had one hand holding his earpiece up to his left ear; the Pentagon was on the direct line. His right hand was on the trigger, he indicated he was just waiting for instructions on whether to fire that first shot or not.....fortunately it didn't happen. It was very compelling to listen to him describe the events of the time. He also described to us his involvement with the movie Patton, (filmed in Spain) where he was the chief technical advisor for all tank activity in the film. He was one very fascinating, and yet very humble, person.

Reaction Score
United States Navy 1971-1977
Missile Technician 2nd Class Submarine Service qualified (MT2 SS)
Completed 8 Deterrent Poseidon patrols aboard the USS Simon Bolivar SSBN 641G.
Run silent, run deep.
You went through Sub school while I was there in the Training division. I worked on the top of the hill, FBM attack trainers (they had torpedoes too).
USN, 1970-74; 1975-79. Sub Base Groton, then ASW training base San Diego for 2nd tour.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom