Roku and SNY | The Boneyard

Roku and SNY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A bit off topic, but does Roku steam SNY?

One of my goals for 2015 is to cut the cord to cable for TV.

In theory it shouldn't be tough. I watch sports, wife watches NCIS, CSI and every other crime acronym show out there. Kids are a wash. We don't watch any network TV shows and are way off the grid for HBO, Showtime, etc.

We could easily survive off of Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Any game that is on SNY I can watch on ESPN3 or Watch ESPN. Safe to assume that holds true with a Roku?

Directv and Dish are non-starters thanks to a horrible experience with Directv a few years ago. Turns out having unlimited access to the southern hemisphere and having the entire house re-wired (cabled) from antenna to receiver creates a really poor signal).

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If you live in SNY's footprint it's blacked out on ESPN3 unfortunately.

I hate watching games at bars, so I usually tell my friends I'm watching it on delay and catch it on www.uconnhuskygames.Com when it's uploaded a couple days later.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I hate watching games at bars, so I usually tell my friends I'm watching it on delay and catch it on www.uconnhuskygames.Com when it's uploaded a couple days later.

I'm outside the SNY footprint and can catch any UConn game on ESPN3 on my computer or tablets.

I just want to make sure that I'm not making myself blind to live UConn games. Mostly on ESPN but also on CBS too.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Chin Diesel said:
I'm outside the SNY footprint and can catch any UConn game on ESPN3 on my computer or tablets.

I just want to make sure that I'm not making myself blind to live UConn games. Mostly on ESPN but also on CBS too.

ESPN3 filters games based on your cable subscription. You will need your cable ID and password to watch. I expect this to change very soon as more media outlets follow HBO into the direct streaming market.

You may want to double check that you will still have access to it until they cut the cord themselves.

Reaction Score
I went out and got a chromecast on Saturday and casted the game yesterday onto the TV. The resolution was clear and good.

If you want to go Roku, you can get the Roku Streaming Stick and do the same thing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

That's what I do. ROKU does include the Watch ESPN App (as does any Xbox). So I can use my Roku Stick or XBox or my tablet.

BUT....and it is a big BUT, ESPN generally won't give you access to Watch ESPN unless you are a cable subscriber.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
ESPN3 filters games based on your cable subscription. You will need your cable ID and password to watch. I expect this to change very soon as more media outlets follow HBO into the direct streaming market.

You may want to double check that you will still have access to it until they cut the cord themselves.

I get the Watch ESPN / ESPN3 through my Cox cable. I will verify that I still get it if I keep Cox for my internet (which I will do). The Roku sight says Cox internet gets you access to Watch ESPN.

I am leaning towards Roku plus an HD rabbit ear for local TV.

Reaction Score

If you are outside the SNY footprint you will be ok with WATCHESPN. Just keep in mind you need to find a cable subscriber who is willing to give you their password. Also keep in mind when ESPN decides its had enough of cable cutters using watchespn we are all screwed.

EDIT for your last post: COX internet subscription does not entitle you to watchesnp.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I, too, desperately want to cut my cord and the ONLY thing holding me to cable is UCONN sports. I mean that quite literally.

Can someone please post the best ways to stream online games? I'm sorry, I know this has been posted about before. I am on Comcast and am not overly familiar with the best ways to stream sporting events. I know that my WATCHESPN cable access only gives me online access to the channels that I get on my TV (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNW but not ESPNU, SEC, ESPNNEWS, etc). I also don't have the CBS Sports Network but I do get SNY.

Better yet, is there a thread here that already addresses this that I can read and try? Many thanks, my friends!!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you are outside the SNY footprint you will be ok with WATCHESPN. Just keep in mind you need to find a cable subscriber who is willing to give you their password. Also keep in mind when ESPN decides its had enough of cable cutters using watchespn we are all screwed.

EDIT for your last post: COX internet subscription does not entitle you to watchesnp.

Are you sure? AT&T Internet gets it for me in Nevada.

Something tells me that cable companies don't exactly advertise up front what you can and can't get from internet only vice bundled packages.

Reaction Score
Are you sure? AT&T Internet gets it for me in Nevada.
Now I am not sure. I am positive Comcast does not give you access with internet only as that is my situation. I have been told by a friend that Charter is the same, and was assuming COX follows suit with those two. I had no idea AT&T provided access to internet only subscribers - I should probably make the switch so I can stop stealing.

I did a bit of research and found this on the website:

"Live streams of all the WatchESPN Networks are available at no additional cost to fans who receive ESPN as part of their TV subscription through participating TV providers.

Access to live programming on the ESPN3 channel of WatchESPN.com is available at no additional cost to fans with subscriptions to participating high speed internet service providers. Click HERE to view a complete list of participating providers."

It looks like ESPN3 is available with internet subscriptions, but WatchESPN is intended for TV subscribers.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Now I am not sure. I am positive Comcast does not give you access with internet only as that is my situation. I have been told by a friend that Charter is the same, and was assuming COX follows suit with those two. I had no idea AT&T provided access to internet only subscribers - I should probably make the switch so I can stop stealing.

I did a bit of research and found this on the website:

"Live streams of all the WatchESPN Networks are available at no additional cost to fans who receive ESPN as part of their TV subscription through participating TV providers.

Access to live programming on the ESPN3 channel of WatchESPN.com is available at no additional cost to fans with subscriptions to participating high speed internet service providers. Click HERE to view a complete list of participating providers."

It looks like ESPN3 is available with internet subscriptions, but WatchESPN is intended for TV subscribers.

Same boat. I have Comcast and have found that I don't get online access to ESPNU, ESPNNEWS or any of the conference networks. ESPN3 listed games come in just fine. I have no idea how streaming games on SNY or CBSSN would work.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If you don't have cable TV, you can always just get a cable tv account name and password from a friend that does.

Only issue is the cbs sports network games, I don't believe they are streamed anywhere officially. Obviously other measures but not as good quality.

Reaction Score
A bit off topic, but does Roku steam SNY?

One of my goals for 2015 is to cut the cord to cable for TV.

In theory it shouldn't be tough. I watch sports, wife watches NCIS, CSI and every other crime acronym show out there. Kids are a wash. We don't watch any network TV shows and are way off the grid for HBO, Showtime, etc.

We could easily survive off of Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Any game that is on SNY I can watch on ESPN3 or Watch ESPN. Safe to assume that holds true with a Roku?

Directv and Dish are non-starters thanks to a horrible experience with Directv a few years ago. Turns out having unlimited access to the southern hemisphere and having the entire house re-wired (cabled) from antenna to receiver creates a really poor signal).
Firecore sells Couch Surfer which allows you to hack the Apple TV. I am waiting for their techs to help me install it. After that, there is a very slim chance that I can watch ESPN3 on it without a Comcast Subscription (Frontier/AT&T is not available in my city).

Reaction Score
That was the last game of the year on SNY, so you don't need to worry about it until next season.

CBSSports does not offer streaming unfortunately.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That was the last game of the year on SNY, so you don't need to worry about it until next season.

CBSSports does not offer streaming unfortunately.

One of the worst things about the new contact, besides the obvious issues, is the lack of SNY games that end up going to CBS Sports Network.

SNY does a real nice job with the pregame, game and post game coverage.

Reaction Score
I get the Watch ESPN / ESPN3 through my Cox cable. I will verify that I still get it if I keep Cox for my internet (which I will do). The Roku sight says Cox internet gets you access to Watch ESPN.

I am leaning towards Roku plus an HD rabbit ear for local TV.
Must be nice to live where those HD antennas actually pick up signals. ;^)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Must be nice to live where those HD antennas actually pick up signals. ;^)

Actually, I don't know if they do. I do have almost unlimited direct view of the sky in all directions, so that should help.

Reaction Score
Actually, I don't know if they do. I do have almost unlimited direct view of the sky in all directions, so that should help.
My problem is distance and terrain from the major network stations' antennas here in western CT. I might be able to pick up a ghost signal off the hill on the other side of town. In my first house in town I was able to get everything from NY to Boston, and all in between, because I was near the top of the hill in the east end of town. Now I'm a few hundred feet lower and on the western facing slope, and cable is a must.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My problem is distance and terrain from the major network stations' antennas here in western CT. I might be able to pick up a ghost signal off the hill on the other side of town. In my first house in town I was able to get everything from NY to Boston, and all in between, because I was near the top of the hill in the east end of town. Now I'm a few hundred feet lower and on the western facing slope, and cable is a must.

I'm in the south along the Gulf of Mexico and would have to a long way in any direction to find a 100 foot increase in elevation or structure. The ABC affiliate is probably 15 miles away while Fox, NBC and CBS are about 35-40 miles away.

I'll end up going to Best Buy or HH Gregg and get some help with the questions I have.

I don't want to cut the cord before I know all the pros and cons. As I said earlier in the thread, Directv ended up blowing up in my face. Mrs. Chin was not a happy camper.

Reaction Score
Chin Diesel said:
I'm in the south along the Gulf of Mexico and would have to a long way in any direction to find a 100 foot increase in elevation or structure. The ABC affiliate is probably 15 miles away while Fox, NBC and CBS are about 35-40 miles away.

I'll end up going to Best Buy or HH Gregg and get some help with the questions I have.

I don't want to cut the cord before I know all the pros and cons. As I said earlier in the thread, Directv ended up blowing up in my face. Mrs. Chin was not a happy camper.

http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

This should help re HD antenna reception

Reaction Score

I recall the last blackout game this season, I was able to go through a virtual private network site having a Chicago ip address.
Here's the link: VPN addresses
Just follow the instructions and whoola you are no longer in CT. Worked great btw.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Old thread, related topic: Anyone in Time Warner Internet, but not TW Cable? What's the best way to avoid cable, but 0utside CT and the northeast to get access to UConn sports (all ESPNs including 3) and SNY, some international news channels (Not CNN), international rugby and English Premiership games (yes, soccer for the haters)?

Returning to the US after several years abroad, we're way out of the current loop on various gizmos, aps, services, etc which make sense and actually work well. For example, does Amazon Prime make sense v various Rokus (3 v 4, stick or whatever), Sling, T8, or whichever other technologies or services?

Thanks in advance for any all helpful insights, suggestions, and non-techy, plain English resources may help bring us into the year 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom