Roku and SNY | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Roku and SNY

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Old thread, related topic: Anyone in Time Warner Internet, but not TW Cable? What's the best way to avoid cable, but 0utside CT and the northeast to get access to UConn sports (all ESPNs including 3) and SNY, some international news channels (Not CNN), international rugby and English Premiership games (yes, soccer for the haters)?

Returning to the US after several years abroad, we're way out of the current loop on various gizmos, aps, services, etc which make sense and actually work well. For example, does Amazon Prime make sense v various Rokus (3 v 4, stick or whatever), Sling, T8, or whichever other technologies or services?

Thanks in advance for any all helpful insights, suggestions, and non-techy, plain English resources may help bring us into the year 2016.

A Roku stick is like $35 now. But in reality it adds very little over the embedded apps in any smart TV or Bluray player from Sony or Samsung (Panasonic has horrible apps). Apple TV, Google TV and Roku are really just app aggregators. XBox One is pretty good in that regard too, and is great for ESPN3. The problem is that ESPN3 generally requires a cable account (they have a strong interest in limiting cord cutting).

Amazon Prime is a solid deal, especially with the free shipping. Hulu Plus is the best internet replacement for normal network TV without cable. Netflix and Amazon are increasingly adding their own content, and some of it is quite good.

Reaction Score
Old thread, related topic: Anyone in Time Warner Internet, but not TW Cable? What's the best way to avoid cable, but 0utside CT and the northeast to get access to UConn sports (all ESPNs including 3) and SNY, some international news channels (Not CNN), international rugby and English Premiership games (yes, soccer for the haters)?

Returning to the US after several years abroad, we're way out of the current loop on various gizmos, aps, services, etc which make sense and actually work well. For example, does Amazon Prime make sense v various Rokus (3 v 4, stick or whatever), Sling, T8, or whichever other technologies or services?

Thanks in advance for any all helpful insights, suggestions, and non-techy, plain English resources may help bring us into the year 2016.
Did a ton of research on the device question and settled on the Roku 4. It's much more powerful than the streaming sticks so the user interface is much faster and smoother (significantly more so when compared to all smart TVs or blu Ray smart functions I've tried). I have that along with prime and Netflix subscriptions (the original content in both is very good) along with an antenna for network stuff. Have been very happy with that setup. I do have my parents' cable login for ESPN3 so I can't help on that front.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
I get the Watch ESPN / ESPN3 through my Cox cable. I will verify that I still get it if I keep Cox for my internet (which I will do). The Roku sight says Cox internet gets you access to Watch ESPN.

I am leaning towards Roku plus an HD rabbit ear for local TV.
Typically, most TV/Internet providers won't support Watch ESPN access for you if you only subscribe to internet.

Sling TV is the cheapest alternative ($25) I've found to get Watch ESPN.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
why does everyone get hung up on this?

ESPN3 is pretty much available to anyone with an internet connection.

"WatchESPN" is a simulcast of what is shown on the ESPN TV networks, and almost universally needs a login with a supported TV provider.

When UConn is on SNY, it's simulcast on ESPN3, which is available to everyone outside of SNY's reserved area.

When UConn is on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/etc, it's available on WatchESPN, as well.

Reaction Score
I cut cable a year or so ago and haven't missed any SNY Games. I'm using a Roku player on my TV and subscribe to SlingTV. Your SlingTV account allows you to watch the SNY games on WatchESPN without location restrictions. I live in CT and have no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom