Rodney's Improvement | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rodney's Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I am not too proud to admit I have no idea what the abbreviations you just used mean.

True Shooting accounts for 2pt fg, 3pt fg and ft, while efg weighs 3s more heavily than 2s. Since Rodney takes lot of 3s and made them at a good percent, it carries more weight. It's a nice metric to look at when fg pct can be kind of murky.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Statistically, the two major improvements that jump out at you are free throw percentage and assist to turnover ratio. What didn't go up was his shooting percentage. At this point, raising those numbers next year are more likely to come from a better offense that causes a higher percentage of shots to be open, rather than contested, as opposed to actual shooting improvement.

I just wish he'd finish better on layups. Which leads to another point: I'm hoping Rodney can look to initiate contact next year. I'm not sure what the problem is there, but it was an issue this year.

Reaction Score
I just wish he'd finish better on layups. Which leads to another point: I'm hoping Rodney can look to initiate contact next year. I'm not sure what the problem is there, but it was an issue this year.
Both he and Hamilton seemed afraid to get hit. Given the fact that each have shorter wingspans (making it easier for defenders to block them) you'd hope they'd learn the way to score there is to get in the defenders grill and get to the line rather than trying to sneak one into the net.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Wow. That's bold.

I'll settle for an Albert Mouring-type season, and be thrilled if he hits that bar.

I think he's got a good chance to be better than that overall, as I feel he makes more of an impact defensively than Alby. Offensively, he's got the tools, it'll just depend on improvement.

I'm not sure about Alby's leadership, as I recall him being a more quiet, lead by example type, but I love Purvis's leadership on and off the court. Also, I think the other guys feed off his energy during the games. He brings a lot to the table there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love Purvis but I have never seen anyone as athletic as him miss as many layups. He needs to go back to his high school days when he tried to tear down the rim every time he went to the basket. Even if he misses the dunk he would get to the free throw line a lot more in stead of trying to avoiding contact and blowing lay ups.

Reaction Score
I've tempered my expectations for Purvis ever since it was announced that he was transferring here (coming out of HS I thought he was your usual AAU "athlete" instead of a basketball player) but he had a really strong finish to the season and you've got to like what you see heading into next season. His numbers improved across the board, including a decrease in turnovers. I never thought he'd turn into as good of a 3PT shooter as he is. If he can make layups more consistently and avoid his occasional bone-headed stretches then he can have a really nice senior season. Not to mention his defense, toughness and leadership. He never stops playing hard - and with the way we blew leads and tanked first halfs so often this season he had plenty of chances to stop playing hard but never did. For all the people who've knocked KO's ability to develop players, I have a feeling Purvis is going to quiet that noise a bit by the end of '16-'17.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The only times Albie took it to the rim successfully was when he was being guarded by Cory Maggette.

Reaction Score
More of a Tony Robertson type player than Mouring.

Much better comparison, IMO. Both very good standstill 3 pt. shooters who could get to the rim. Robertson was a better finisher and ball handler who could breakdown defenders instead of just bull-rushing to the hoop, but Purvis has a better mid range game.

I wouldn't expect major improvements from Purvis next year. He's a 5th year player who is what he is at this point. His handle isn't going to improve greatly. His best chances for improvement are in his approach -- as someone already mentioned, by attacking the rim instead of shying away from contact, or employing the floater/teardrop from 6-8 feet instead of an out of control, twisting layup.

Even as he is, he will be a major contributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom