Rodney's Improvement | The Boneyard

Rodney's Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As other's have mentioned, one of the keys to our success this season and next was and will be Purvis.

The way this guy stepped up towards the end of the season was telling and I think it sets the tone for next year. Rodney truly improved all his aspects of his game from being a better defender, being a very good 3 point shooter (especially with his feet set) and he also improved his foul shooting. Not to mention, if people remember last year he'd catch a pass out of bounds it seemed once a game.

Check out the stats below, he pretty much improved statistically across the board.

Come back for one more year Rodney!

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/rodney-purvis-1.html

Reaction Score
Statistically, the two major improvements that jump out at you are free throw percentage and assist to turnover ratio. What didn't go up was his shooting percentage. At this point, raising those numbers next year are more likely to come from a better offense that causes a higher percentage of shots to be open, rather than contested, as opposed to actual shooting improvement.

Reaction Score
If Rodney made lay ups he'd be worshipped here. Needs to improve his finishing around the rim, concentration and using his brawn is something he needs to work on. I loved the way he improved at the FT line, kudos to him for the wonderful job the 2nd half of the year. Agree guys, not many have a 5th year guy coming back with so much positive to bring to a team we are lucky.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Rodney is at his best when he can set his feet, then catch and shoot. He has problems dribbling then setting and shooting. It should help having a true PG driving and dishing to him all next year.

Reaction Score
If Rodney made lay ups he'd be worshipped here. Needs to improve his finishing around the rim, concentration and using his brawn is something he needs to work on. I loved the way he improved at the FT line, kudos to him for the wonderful job the 2nd half of the year. Agree guys, not many have a 5th year guy coming back with so much positive to bring to a team we are lucky.
I'm hoping that he'll embrace contact more now that he's shooting so much better from the line.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Statistically, the two major improvements that jump out at you are free throw percentage and assist to turnover ratio. What didn't go up was his shooting percentage. At this point, raising those numbers next year are more likely to come from a better offense that causes a higher percentage of shots to be open, rather than contested, as opposed to actual shooting improvement.
Our bigs are really limited at creating lanes for the guards. Nolan was about the only decent screener but his lack of offensive ability did not make defenders honest.

The key next season will be if one of the interior players can screen and be an offensive option if defenders try to stop the guards.

Reaction Score
Rodney is at his best when he can set his feet, then catch and shoot. He has problems dribbling then setting and shooting. It should help having a true PG driving and dishing to him all next year.

Good point and what's weird is when he dribbles to shoot from deep he's not as good but when he takes it to the middle and stops, pops off the dribble he's pretty damn good. Like to see more of that.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
consistency (how he played the second half of the season) is all i ask from him next year

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

BL, keep in mind that while his overall FG% was nearly the same his TS% jumped from 0.515 to 0.545 eFG jumped from 0.509 to 0.527

Rodney to take the next step he needs to work on finishing by the basket and a pet peeve of mind his when he takes 2 pointers a half step in front of the 3 point line.

Reaction Score
Happy to hear others who feel about him the way I do. Even when others were down on him, I liked what he brought. At times he was the only aggressor on this team all season. I know he would miss easy layups, but I always felt that at least he was fighting. Now new year more mature and next step like you guys say is finishing through contact and I know he will.

Reaction Score
Needs to work on his handle also. If he and Adams can create offense that will really help the team. And with Gilbert spelling either that's a pretty good group to start with. Hamilton I expect to be even better next year. So at the 1-3 spots that's about as good as anyone in the country. Now if they could get some decent contributions from the 4 and 5 spots we will be rolling. So who is going to give them that inside presence? Brimah, Facey, Enoch? Can Diarra be a monster rebounder and defender and just fill that role? Tough to ask a freshman to come in and do that right away. They just are going to need some inside presence to take this team to the next level.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm hoping that he'll embrace contact more now that he's shooting so much better from the line.

I keep going back to his first season at UConn. He got drilled hard on 3-4 occasions when he went up for the big dunk. He may still be gun shy near the rim.

His 3 point shooting and FT shooting improvements were great. A slight nudge up on those numbers and he's fine.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
I was worried about our shooting next year, especially from 3, so having Rodney back is HUGE.

Reaction Score
Next year with JA as a soph + Gilbert I think RP can finally play off the ball. This is where he excels and I think will be big next year

Reaction Score
Wow. That's bold.

I'll settle for an Albert Mouring-type season, and be thrilled if he hits that bar.

That's a decent comparison right there. Another underrated piece of our program, maligned especially when he was supposed to be the star after many left the NC team, which he was never really capable of. Purvis is a bit bigger and stronger and probably a better defender although AM was underrated there also.

Reaction Score
That's a decent comparison right there. Another underrated piece of our program, maligned especially when he was supposed to be the star after many left the NC team, which he was never really capable of. Purvis is a bit bigger and stronger and probably a better defender although AM was underrated there also.
I'd say that Rodney is faster, more athletic, and stronger with the ball, while Mouring a much better shooter. But Mouring struggled to shoot when he was the primary perimeter player. Dropped from 47.8% (!!!) from 3 as a junior to 37.4% his senior year on similar attempts despite raising his FT and 2pt FG percentages.

Albert Mouring

Reaction Score
BL, keep in mind that while his overall FG% was nearly the same his TS% jumped from 0.515 to 0.545 eFG jumped from 0.509 to 0.527

Rodney to take the next step he needs to work on finishing by the basket and a pet peeve of mind his when he takes 2 pointers a half step in front of the 3 point line.

I am not too proud to admit I have no idea what the abbreviations you just used mean.

Reaction Score
I'd say that Rodney is faster, more athletic, and stronger with the ball, while Mouring a much better shooter. But Mouring struggled to shoot when he was the primary perimeter player. Dropped from 47.8% (!!!) from 3 as a junior to 37.4% his senior year on similar attempts despite raising his FT and 2pt FG percentages.

Albert Mouring

Yeah when he wasn't the only option from deep he struggled to get real good looks too. Still always liked the kid, played hard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3