Rodney Purvis getting surgery? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis getting surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He certainly helped in practice, but it isn't like Bazz, Boat and Kromah are wet behind the ears and need practice sparring partners to get a taste for what competition is like. He was probably more valuable in September/October when practices and drills were full intensity. When the season gets rolling, your heavy minutes guys aren't going balls out in practice every day any more.

Also, I think the biggest benefit was that Purvis was getting a chance to go up against Shabazz and Co. in practice, learning the offense, against/with a senior All-American.

Its unfortunate, I wish him a speedy recovery so he can get back on the court.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Sportsman 5, what were your issues. My daughter plays college basketball and her shoulder socket is loose and gets inflamed and very painful when it gets hit or she shoots to much. We are looking at surgical options in offseason. Is this a labrum issue and or does it sound like what you had? Thanks

Husky, I tore both labrum in my right shoulder and it would pop out of socket any time I threw a baseball. I had them both repaired and was back working out and throwing in about 5 months. I wouldn't classify it as "no big deal" but it was worth having the surgery, for me at least. Unfortunately, years later I had bone spurs develop and eventually had the entire AC joint removed.

Good luck to your daughter, I'd get at least 3 professional opinions and make a decision from there.

Reaction Score
Rodney Purvis will have surgery
Updated: December 16, 2013, 7:31 PM ET
Associated Press
STORRS, Conn. -- UConn guard Rodney Purvis, who is sitting out this season after transferring from North Carolina State, plans to have surgery to fix a torn labrum in his left shoulder.

The school says the 6-foot-4 redshirt freshman will undergo arthroscopic surgery Tuesday morning at the UConn Health Center in Farmington.

The school says the surgery also will tighten up muscles to stabilize a painful condition that has bothered Purvis since high school.

The tear and condition were discovered during an MRI done earlier this year.

The school says it made the decision to have the surgery now, while Purvis is sitting out under NCAA rules following his transfer.

Purvis will have three seasons of eligibility at UConn beginning next fall.

Reaction Score
We should have kept this quiet. The NCAA could retroactively change the transfer rules and say that it doesn't count to sit out a year when you're hurt anyway, and make him sit out next year instead.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We should have kept this quiet. The NCAA could retroactively change the transfer rules and say that it doesn't count to sit out a year when you're hurt anyway, and make him sit out next year instead.

I wouldn't put anything past the NCAA when it comes to UConn.

You may be on to something though as they did say it was discovered earlier this season.

In any event, RP whenever I see him on the bench is always cheering and supporting his teammates. Definitely a ten toes in guy.

Reaction Score
Sportsman 5, what were your issues. My daughter plays college basketball and her shoulder socket is loose and gets inflamed and very painful when it gets hit or she shoots to much. We are looking at surgical options in offseason. Is this a labrum issue and or does it sound like what you had? Thanks

Symptoms will vary considerably. i never fully dislocated my shoulder, but it would sublux slightly (partially slide out of place) especially when the arm was over head. At the time, I was playing baseball and swimming competitively, which is the absolute worst thing I could have been doing. There was a clicking/ popping sound when I would hold it over head and rotate my arm as if throwing a baseball. Definitely had swelling and discomfort after exercise. I originally had an MRI done and the doctor found no tear, so I ended up doing a year of physical therapy. It didn't get better, so I had another MRI where they inject dye and they found a tear at that point. Had the surgery to repair the tear and had it surgically tightened, which is the exact same surgery Purvis is having. It took me the normal amount of time to recover back to about 90%, but another 6-12 months or so to where the shoulder felt the exact same as the other side due to the tightening of the capsule. I was consistent with going to physical therapy, but slacked some on home exercises. If I wasn't a somewhat undisciplined and lazy teenager at the time, than I'm sure the recovery back to 100% would have been faster. This was quite a few years ago. to this day I need to do stabilization exercises to keep it tight and strong and prevent inflammation. Part of the reason is that I lift fairly heavy weights, so I need strong stabilizers, but I would recommend continued "physical therapy type" exercises to anyone who has had stabilization issues in the past. I've worked in several jobs in the health and wellness fields. Based on my own experience and that of working with many people with chronic pain and injuries I would get the surgery if there is a tear. Obviously this is a general statement and every case is unique. However, a torn labrum is something you can live with, but there will likely be a lot of long term complications when it comes to degeneration of the joint and things of that nature. Like another poster said, it is a good idea to get multiple opinions from physicians about what to do. An reasonable start would be to get an MRI to see if there is an obvious tear to either labrum or any of the 4 rotator cuff muscles that rotate and stabilize the shoulder. If you have any further questions, than private message me.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I have a feeling purvis is one of those kids I'll criticize and then he'll blow up in march. But I feel like he might need some time to recover from the injury and readjust to the college game. That said this kid is a monster

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I developed what was diagnosed as a "chronic, recurrent sublocation of the right shoulder" the beginning of Junior year in high school. At first, it was incredibly painful. After that, it was a conversation piece. I could pop it in and out at will, complete with a clunking sound that could be heard across the room. But it ALWAYS came out when the arm was extended above the horizontal. By senior year, not only was I back on the basketball court, but I'd learned to play defense right handed (I'm a leftie by nature) because my vertical reach was a good 4 inches farther with my right hand, due to the shoulder. Blocked a whole lot of shots that year. If I could have controlled the ball with my right hand, I would have been a dunkin fool. Unfortunately, I couldn't. And if I got hit wrong with it up and out, man was I in pain.

The shoulder did keep me out of the service (I tried to enlist in the CG, then was called for the draft at the height of the Vietnam war).

But once I was no longer involved in any kind of athletics, it never really bothered me more than a few times a year. But that eventually became 4 or 5 times a year, then 6 or 8 times, and now that I'm officially an old codger, except when I'm able to keep my right elbow tucked tightly to my side, I'm in pain. If I need to raise my right arm more than shoulder high, I need to use my left arm to do it. I've investigated surgery (need a full blown replacement), but the 6 months of recovery they are talking about is kind of off-putting at my age.

So yeah, the kid needs to get it done now, lest he end up a cranky old man with a painful shoulder.

Reaction Score
Just have to say I love the Boneyard where you can get detailed anecdotal evidence and advice about anything. I tore my rotator cuff playing baseball in college. Pitched 14 innings against Albany State in 40 degree weather. What the hell was my coach thinking. Doesn't bother me except when I start weight lifting again which is a good excuse to stop weight lifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom