Rock Bottom sometimes a good thing | The Boneyard

Rock Bottom sometimes a good thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Look, you have to hit rock bottom before a change in attitude comes about. There are things that successful football programs do to get ahead - I don't want to catalog them all here - that Uconn has been unwilling to do. We certainly did those things on the basketball side, and paid the price, and reaped the rewards. We have been unwilling to do them on the football side.

Everyone in life always gets what they want most.

C

Chief00

Look, you have to hit rock bottom before a change in attitude comes about. There are things that successful football programs do to get ahead - I don't want to catalog them all here - that Uconn has been unwilling to do. We certainly did those things on the basketball side, and paid the price, and reaped the rewards. We have been unwilling to do them on the football side.

Everyone in life always gets what they want most.

Coach P and GDL should go now - good management is not hasty but not recognizing a very poor hire during a three year period smells as poor management. Warde mentions transitions, etc......but it is time to take care of business. Put in an interim coach and start a search now. Avoid the cronyism that got Coach P hired in the first place.

Reaction Score
Chief, that's not going to happen. It would be a huge black eye on the program. It would be an "ungentlemanly" way to conduct our business. We are going to have to ride this missile all the way down.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Coach P and GDL should go now - good management is not hasty but not recognizing a very poor hire during a three year period smells as poor management. Warde mentions transitions, etc......but it is time to take care of business. Put in an interim coach and start a search now. Avoid the cronyism that got Coach P hired in the first place.

I don't want an interim coach look good and confuse the process.

We need the right guy for the next 5 to 10 years, not someone who looks good compared to PP

C

Chief00

Chief, that's not going to happen. It would be a huge black eye on the program. It would be an "ungentlemanly" way to conduct our business. We are going to have to ride this missile all the way down.

Yesterday was a huge black eye. Losing is part of sports, but listlessness should not be. Do you think things are going to improve under the current coaching regime? If not, time to make the move.

Reaction Score
This isn't rock bottom.......Coach P has his sights set lower

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't want an interim coach look good and confuse the process.

We need the right guy for the next 5 to 10 years, not someone who looks good compared to PP

If someone is successful to the level we aspire to be at, there is no way they will be here for 5-10 years. Just the reality of the situation.

Confuse the process? What do you even mean by that?

We should be scared that say Weist has some success and the forces us to make a decision?

P should've never been here, and keeping him any further just digs us a deeper hole.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The time to can P was last December. There was no evidence at all that things were going to get better. The situation was all on P but he never took the heat. GDL took a bullet for P and they both get an extra year's pay because of it. He was never the problem and replacing him was no solution. No sense doing it now.

Reaction Score
This isn't rock bottom.......Coach P has his sights set lower

Journey_to_the_Center_of_the_Earth1959.jpg

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Yesterday was a huge black eye. Losing is part of sports, but listlessness should not be. Do you think things are going to improve under the current coaching regime? If not, time to make the move.

I did not know just how little energy the program had until I watched the SNY "Spring Football Special". PP has ZERO charisma. "Uhh, we need to recruit a guy that can catch punts"....holy S man! THAT is what the recruiting need is??? The practices were slow, no energy....compare to this spring practice and coaching (or anything Jim Calhoun has ever done):

Reaction Score

Huge black eye on the program? Your kidding, right? PP has violated this program well beyond something as common as a black eye. Fire him today and make a statement that UConn has no intention of accept this incompetence.

Reaction Score
Huge black eye on the program? Your kidding, right? PP has violated this program well beyond something as common as a black eye. Fire him today and make a statement that UConn has no intention of accept this incompetence.
C'mon man. You don't fire a coach after one game. We have to maintain our dignity. We blew the hire, now we pay the price. You think throwing a temper tantrum right now sends the right message? The message that we are like little kids?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
C'mon man. You don't fire a coach after one game. We have to maintain our dignity. We blew the hire, now we pay the price. You think throwing a temper tantrum right now sends the right message? The message that we are like little kids?

Well said

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I can't stand when people say this. It's not one game. Its been 25 games and for 25 games in a row, this team has not been put in any discernible position to succeed. Any success that this team has had is fleeting at best (won 2 consecutive games only once) and has come in spite of those in charge, rather than due to them.

Maybe the team as a whole really is not that talented. Maybe they cannot grasp the concept of zone blocking to the point of semi-flawless execution. That's okay. No one should have a probable with that. But if that is the case, then it is the coaches' responsibility to develop schemes that the players can grasp, perform, and be successful. I've said it ad nauseum during the second half of last season. The system of a good coach (particularly in college) must be flexible enough to adapt to the strength of the players. Otherwise it's trying to force a round peg into a square hole.

Let me be clear though...
I do not think "Coach" Pasqualoni should be fired right now.
I do think this should be his last season, regardless.
I do think fans have a right (potentially an obligation) to be put off by last nights result
I do think fans should be afforded the right to b1t[h about said putoffedness.

Reaction Score

It sends the message that we admit we made a bad hire and we can see what is holding our program back.......Also we believe that Coach Weist has the potential to be a better leader and decision maker and Time-out take as our interim head coach than grandpa P ever was. It says we are ready to stop taking steps back and evaluate whether coach Weist can help us take steps forward............(yeah thats a terrible message)

Reaction Score
I can't stand when people say this. It's not one game. Its been 25 games and for 25 games in a row, this team has not been put in any discernible position to succeed. Any success that this team has had is fleeting at best (won 2 consecutive games only once) and has come in spite of those in charge, rather than due to them.

Maybe the team as a whole really is not that talented. Maybe they cannot grasp the concept of zone blocking to the point of semi-flawless execution. That's okay. No one should have a probable with that. But if that is the case, then it is the coaches' responsibility to develop schemes that the players can grasp, perform, and be successful. I've said it ad nauseum during the second half of last season. The system of a good coach (particularly in college) must be flexible enough to adapt to the strength of the players. Otherwise it's trying to force a round peg into a square hole.

Let me be clear though...
I do not think "Coach" Pasqualoni should be fired right now.
I do think this should be his last season, regardless.
I do think fans have a right (potentially an obligation) to be put off by last nights result
I do think fans should be afforded the right to b1t[h about said putoffedness.

I have to tell you, I agree with every word of this post. Every word.

Reaction Score
Oh, so we're not doing this to Coach P. Man, I could just hear JR. OH THE CARNAGE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom