Robbins on next TV deal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Robbins on next TV deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
You can make the argument that replacing Pitt and SU with 5 teams is a wash and that Boise and TCU are a wash. Factor in a conference game and the contract might be worth no less than before except it will be divided among more teams and basketball might take a hit.

That's all well and good until WVU leaves. Then it gets to be much less money and dilutive based ona 12-team football distribution.

We also go back 6 months to Marionette saying the BE was in no hurry to expand (implying the expansion options were not accretive).

As far as the ESPN thing goes: give me a good reason for ESPN to prevent the ACC raid. Just one.

Therein lies the problem. ESPN lays out the rules (add 2 teams to reopen the contract) and you have a gaggle of media consultants pitching concepts to the ACC for grabbing more ESPN money after the PAC-12 deal. The ACC chooses a strategy wth all the democgraphcis and book numbers and comparative contract rights and then goes to work on ESPN with proposals and come to a verbal agreement that SU and PITT are accretive.

And yes Nelson, we still disagree. You think the ACC is a high class call girl. I think she's a cheap streetwalker and sold her Southern virtue for $2 million a team or less so each AD can wave a $20 mil contract increase over 10 years and lock in their jobs for a decade.

Reaction Score
Little bit of both. I definitely would love to see it happen and think it will certainly be explored since Pitt and Cuse are not getting their walking papers early. I know they want to go but if the football conference is strengthened and the new TV contract is in the Pac 12 range I don't see how they decide to walk away for the ACC's current TV deal which will only be improved moderately when it's renegotiated.

A lot can happen in 27 months. I know NBC/Comcast will propose numbers with and with the "Back stabbers." After you read through all the bull, every article I've read from the "Back stabbers" angle of why they decided to make move comes down to $$$. So, yeah, there's a shot

What they doin?
They smilin in your face
all the time they wanna take your place
the back stabbers, back stabbers

The O'Jays
The Sound of Philly

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Rumrunner,

You are trying to create some false equivalence between expected invitations and the names proposed and the expected increase in exit fees, of which all reporters have been pretty consistent, and ESPN running a potentially explosive story that was very embarrassing to the Big East, for which there was no other confirmatory sources.

Whether exit fees are determined yesterday or today or next week is kind of irrelevant. Everyone knows they are going up because it is common freaking sense. And the leak on the exit fees going up is much more likely to be the football schools than the basketball schools or Marinatto, since the football schools are the ones trying to get other offers. On the other hand, a story that all the major targets of expansion have declined to join, which means the Big East is functionally finished, is explosive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds
Top Bottom