Robbins on next TV deal | The Boneyard

Robbins on next TV deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That is obvious to everyone but the ESPN apologists on this board.
Who are these ESPN apologists you refer to? There are many different visions/ideas/preferences/hopes for how this all will/can play out in regards to UConn on this board, and that's fine. Different opinions are good. However, I don't recall reading anyone who is praising ESPN or apologizing for them? Curious who you view as being in that group.

Reaction Score
Does Comcast have any competition for us other than ESPN? If Comcast ends up bidding against itself we aren't going to get top dollar.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Even if things have chilled ESPN would still be willing to negotiate. They'd be foolish no to.

Reaction Score
Does Comcast have any competition for us other than ESPN? If Comcast ends up bidding against itself we aren't going to get top dollar.

Fox is also out there and ESPN will be bidding, so there is no chance that Comcast will be bidding against themselves and Fox and ESPN will still be trying to keep NBC from increasing their college sports inventory so that is not something to even worry about.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Who are these ESPN apologists you refer to? There are many different visions/ideas/preferences/hopes for how this all will/can play out in regards to UConn on this board, and that's fine. Different opinions are good. However, I don't recall reading anyone who is praising ESPN or apologizing for them? Curious who you view as being in that group.
Well don't you know - if the Bottom Line says Navy might decline the Big East, and someone doesn't agree it's a smoking gun of ESPN's intentions even though that someone agrees that with the general point that ESPN may be trying to destroy the Big East, that makes that someone an ESPN apologist. (Someone = me, and the other person Nelson was refering to would be ZLS).

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

ESPN Apologista : n. : Anyone who doesn't completely agree with Nelson that ESPN is the sole executioner of the Big East, despite obvious flaws that were already present in the structure of the league.

"I don't know, Nelson. ESPN may not be totally innocent, but to definitively state ESPN is responsible for the Big East's demise..."
"APOLOGISTA!"

"Yeah, but the Big East was likely to be raided no ma..."
"Didn't you hear DeFelippo? ESPN did it! With the candlestick, in the library! APOLOGISTA!"

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Blaming ESPN solely for what's going on is to ignore the litany of problems with the Big East itself.

Reaction Score
The two posters defending ESPN in this thread are a start...

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/navy-ad-calls-katzs-report-rubbish.4516/
So junglehusky posting "There may be truth to the ESPN conspiracy theory, but this isn't a smoking gun or anything of the kind." and zls claiming he thinks all AD's are full of crap (which I agree with) is your definition of an ESPN Apologist. All clear now. I guess I'm an ESPN Apologist too then. I think ESPN is attempting to harm the BE's overall value as recourse for the BE declining their TV offer and Marinatto alluding to the fact we're worth more on the open market, but I don't think what you posted in that other thread is a "smoking gun" or has any juice what so ever. I think most AD's are full of it, and will speak out of both sides of their mouths to advance their schools agendas.

The BE was going to get picked apart either way, was only a matter of time and all here realized that (I think). Do I think ESPN is aiding and abetting (sp?)? Yes. Do I think it would have happened w/ or w/out ESPN's support? yes. I have no proof ESPN is out to destroy the BE that would hold up in a court of law (including Flippers comments), but my gut and common business sense tells me there is interest on ESPN's part to keep their competitiors (Comcast, Fox, CBS) hands out of their cookie jar, and if destroying the BE is what it will take to maintain their market share, then toguh for the BE.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The BE was going to get picked apart either way, was only a matter of time and all here realized that (I think). Do I think ESPN is aiding and abetting (sp?)? Yes. Do I think it would have happened w/ or w/out ESPN's support? yes. I have no proof ESPN is out to destroy the BE that would hold up in a court of law (including Flippers comments), but my gut and common business sense tells me there is interest on ESPN's part to keep their competitiors (Comcast, Fox, CBS) hands out of their cookie jar, and if destroying the BE is what it will take to maintain their market share, then toguh for the BE.

While I tend to disagree with part of your argument, I can tell it is your honest feelings and that you thought it out.

You know, unlike nelson.

Reaction Score
here's an interesting take from dick weiss of new york daily news

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/10/16/2011-10-16_rutgers_conference_call.html

Now that article is definitely encouraging. The positivity is refreshing and reflects the reality that the BE might come out of this as a bigger, better football conference. I could honestly see a scenario where Pitt and Cuse stay put if all of this comes to fruition. With Pitt and Cuse this conference with 14 Football members and 19 basketball members would surely be looking at Pac 12 type of money.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
IF ESPN was actively looking to sink the Big East... they can't exactly be thrilled with BC right now...

I don't think they were, BUT I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they might have encouraged a particular conference to move in a direction they were already thinking about. *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

Reaction Score
Len Robbins is a Marinatto apologist and Big East basketball school cheerleader. He cares nothing about football, only St. John's basketball. Of course he will write the Marinatto version of facts.

See, ad hominem attacks are cool.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well don't you know - if the Bottom Line says Navy might decline the Big East, and someone doesn't agree it's a smoking gun of ESPN's intentions even though that someone agrees that with the general point that ESPN may be trying to destroy the Big East, that makes that someone an ESPN apologist. (Someone = me, and the other person Nelson was refering to would be ZLS).

That's not what the Bottom Line said. It used the past tense, as in Navy "declined" to join the Big East. This after BCU's AD, who would have some knowledge of this stuff, said ESPN told them who to take.

You are just wrong on this. Why do you keep arguing?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Len Robbins is a Marinatto apologist and Big East basketball school cheerleader. He cares nothing about football, only St. John's basketball. Of course he will write the Marinatto version of facts.

See, ad hominem attacks are cool.

Robbins, Thamel and Lucci have all been pretty good in covering this story, and all seem to be within shouting distance of each other in terms of the facts they are reporting. And then there is ESPN.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Blaming ESPN solely for what's going on is to ignore the litany of problems with the Big East itself.

No one is blaming ESPN solely for what is going on. The only person making statements like that is you, when you are creating a straw man argument to attack me with. FAIL of a post.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That's not what the Bottom Line said. It used the past tense, as in Navy "declined" to join the Big East. This after BCU's AD, who would have some knowledge of this stuff, said ESPN told them who to take.

You are just wrong on this. Why do you keep arguing?
I'm not wrong, because I mostly agree with you. :confused:

Reaction Score
No one is blaming ESPN solely for what is going on. The only person making statements like that is you, when you are creating a straw man argument to attack me with. FAIL of a post.

You know when you're doing a great job by the responses fron your opposition. Keep up the great work, Waylon. Also, is there any possibilty to the scenario posed in post #13 in this thread?

Reaction Score
Now that article is definitely encouraging. The positivity is refreshing and reflects the reality that the BE might come out of this as a bigger, better football conference. I could honestly see a scenario where Pitt and Cuse stay put if all of this comes to fruition. With Pitt and Cuse this conference with 14 Football members and 19 basketball members would surely be looking at Pac 12 type of money.

You're not alone in thinking about this. Are you writing this because it's what you would like to see happen; or do you believe such a scenario possible?

Reaction Score
You know when you're doing a great job by the responses fron your opposition. Keep up the great work, Waylon. Also, is there any possibilty to the scenario posed in post #13 in this thread?

Everyone will probably say no, but I honestly don't see how it is outside the realm of possibility. If the BE holds them to the 27 months they will still be members when the new TV deal is negotiated and it will surely be discussed how much the league would be worth if they decide not to leave.

Reaction Score
You're not alone in thinking about this. Are you writing this because it's what you would like to see happen; or do you believe such a scenario possible?

Little bit of both. I definitely would love to see it happen and think it will certainly be explored since Pitt and Cuse are not getting their walking papers early. I know they want to go but if the football conference is strengthened and the new TV contract is in the Pac 12 range I don't see how they decide to walk away for the ACC's current TV deal which will only be improved moderately when it's renegotiated.

Reaction Score
Robbins, Thamel and Lucci have all been pretty good in covering this story, and all seem to be within shouting distance of each other in terms of the facts they are reporting. And then there is ESPN.

The problem with all these writers (and each of them has been wrong on more than one occasion) is that they rely on a source that has a dog in the hunt.

Thamel is parroting the Marinatto view. Now, that source is invaluable because it provides an insight into what Marinatto is planning.

For example, just recently on October 7th, Thamel wrote of the Big East President's conf call/meeting that was held that day :

"A small portion of the conversation Friday revolved around the issue of how much the league’s exit fee should be, a tricky topic as it now has just six universities that play at the Football Bowl Subdivision level, and some of them are contemplating leaving."

_______________-
Now contrast that article with the one that Brendan Prunty wrote in the Newark Star Ledger about the same conference call:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/10/big_east_conference_trying_to.html
"One day after the Big East sustained another loss, the league's presidents huddled once again, on a morning conference call.
While reports late Thursday night speculated that invitations to potential new league members would be discussed — or even handed out — that turned out not to be the case. According to one person familiar with the topics discussed on the call, the talk was not about expansion, but raising the exit fee to leave the Big East."

Who to believe? Thamel was the one who tweeted that invites might happen at the Friday conference call on Thursday night, October 6th. He was told that by Marinatto or someone in the BE because that's what they wanted to happen. The meeting happens, no invites happens, exit fees become the big stumbling block, so Thamel writes exit fees were a "small portion" of the meeting.

Well, looking back at how events transpired, exit fees have loomed pretty darn large, while Thamel's credibility has been diminished.

Reaction Score
I'm not wrong, because I mostly agree with you. :confused:

Just the thought of physical aggression is not allowed on this board. I thought you knew that.

Last week I said if I could be guaranteed that I would avoid jail time and lawsuits I would have reservations inflicting bodily harm on the espn executives responsible for this mess. No brag, just fact.

BusinessLawyer then proceeded to protect the bloodsucking espn executive's motives and called me out for not excercising better judgement.

Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET