Road Trip! The 22 Miles From UConn's Campus To It's Stadium (SB Nation) | The Boneyard

Road Trip! The 22 Miles From UConn's Campus To It's Stadium (SB Nation)

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...kies-football-stadium-campus-rentschler-field

STORRS, Conn. — When we think of college football, we think of a college campus in full fall splendor. But that’s not the reality for every fan base. Some have journeys to get to their cathedrals of sport from their home bases of higher learning.

UConn students and fans have the second-longest commute of any FBS school on a fall Saturday, at 22.5 miles from the main campus to Rentschler Field. With UMass moving all of its home games onto campus, only UCLA’s journey to the Rose Bowl (26.4 miles) is longer than UConn’s (Miami comes in second place on the East Coast, with a 20-mile trek to Hard Rock stadium). That’s about six times the distance between Rice’s campus and Houston’s campusstadium. Huskies fans have never been all that happy about it.

Reaction Score
Meh... I'm more interested that the SBN College Football writer was on campus.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Half Full!? Half Full!? I don't think so!

Guy picked the ugliest time of year and took pictures of the ugliest things. Nice effort to make us look bad.

Reaction Score
Some writers have an agenda, some have to make a deadline. This schmuck is a lazy s.o.b. If he truly knew the fan base, he wouldn't write such drivel. Of course students would want the stadium on campus. They would also want to be able roll out of bed 5 minutes before game tame for a Saturday noon game.(I was a UConn student in the age of dinosaurs).
The fact is that paying customers (most of whom pay seat donations) come from all over the state. The RENT is located spitting distance from the Capitol City, with great access to the Interstate highway system. A drive from the RENT to the main campus in Storrs is roughly 15 minutes (if driving through Bolton & Coventry) & very scenic.
The land that the RENT sits on was donated & is prime real estate.
This so-called reporter should check his facts before spewing his venom.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Shrug.

I'd have preferred an on campus stadium. College football games would bring energy and alums back to campus. There's not a doubt in my mind that it would improve student turnout and buy in.

That said, yeah it's easier for the Fairfield County fans get to East Hartford. Although a lot of fan bases drive much further for a football game. You can get beers at the Rent, so that's a plus. The Rent is that it is an excellent tailgating venue and there isn't a bad seat in the house.

As others have said, win and the fans will come.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I loved the article that indicated the old Orange Bowl was on Miami's campus. I've been to the Orange Bowl and there's no way it was on campus. It was in one of Miami's worst neighborhoods. 'The U' is in Coral Gables.

Reaction Score
I loved the article that indicated the old Orange Bowl was on Miami's campus. I've been to the Orange Bowl and there's no way it was on campus. It was in one of Miami's worst neighborhoods. 'The U' is in Coral Gables.

I wouldn't call it one of the worst neighborhoods, it was a neighborhood that you could walk around and not have to worry about anything. Like most of Miami though, it was close enough to neighborhoods that you didn't want to be around, to say the least, and it certainly wasn't Coral Gables.

Reaction Score
Was on campus today for the baseball game--swept the series with Memphis. Saw Corey Edsall and Coach Baylock there. On the drive back on Route 44 saw the donut/bagel from this article. The couch was gone. Not a bad ride, got stuck in Charter Oak Bridge traffic on a Sunday afternoon. Should have used the Rentschler Field backroads....

Reaction Score
Some writers have an agenda, some have to make a deadline. This schmuck is a lazy s.o.b. If he truly knew the fan base, he wouldn't write such drivel. Of course students would want the stadium on campus. They would also want to be able roll out of bed 5 minutes before game tame for a Saturday noon game.(I was a UConn student in the age of dinosaurs).
The fact is that paying customers (most of whom pay seat donations) come from all over the state. The RENT is located spitting distance from the Capitol City, with great access to the Interstate highway system. A drive from the RENT to the main campus in Storrs is roughly 15 minutes (if driving through Bolton & Coventry) & very scenic.
The land that the RENT sits on was donated & is prime real estate.
This so-called reporter should check his facts before spewing his venom.

Love your defense of UConn, but as an alum and now a frequent driver to Storrs for the new generation, I'd like to borrow your helicopter to get from EH and up Rt 44 in 15 minutes....even roughly 15.:)

Reaction Score
You want to see incredible traffic jams, just build a football stadium in Storrs. No thank you. The article is a cheap shot.

Reaction Score
Love your defense of UConn, but as an alum and now a frequent driver to Storrs for the new generation, I'd like to borrow your helicopter to get from EH and up Rt 44 in 15 minutes....even roughly 15.:)

Right. It's 30 minutes without traffic.

Still, everyone who says that people will come if the team is good is correct. Some BB games being in Hartford hasn't harmed attendance, as far as I know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom