RJ just not good enough | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RJ just not good enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I noticed that during that long stretch without a whistle. Most of them looked gassed. I didn't notice it after that. Hurley did point out earlier this season that they were asking too much from Cole to carry such a large load.
So find a few minutes for the bench! How freaking hard is it. Slow the game down and get the guys a rest.

Reaction Score
Cole had a tough game. 5-16 with 0 threes. It happens.

What surprised me is that he was gassed in the first half. Bent over, hands on his hips, he didn't look conditioned. In fact, in the first half, Creighton was clearly the better conditioned team. Their defense had a ton of energy and they killed us on the boards. It showed with a 10 point half time lead.
We never challenged on the boards in the first half, only the second. Why? With such poor shooting going on by us you would think we might get up on the boards.

Reaction Score
Problem is, our guards aren't so good, our forwards aren't so good (except Sanogo), and we really don't have a center. Other than that, we're loaded

Reaction Score
There's no point calling out Cole. The team lost and the team is not good enough. I could replace Cole's name with 3 or 4 different names.

Reaction Score
This is on the coach. The offense is terrible and the pieces just aren’t right on this team.

We have talent coming in. I just hope he puts it to good use when it gets here. Cory Floyd Jr., Karaban and Castle are critical over the next couple of years. These guys need to put the ball in the basket when they get here. If they can’t, I’m blaming the coach. Those guys can fill it up against elite competition right now. We’ll see if the Hurley offense cripples them. Sometimes these overly defensive minded coaches really keep offensive players from flourishing. You have to play offense too.

Reaction Score
I disagree with most of this but at end of game and half. Cole is just not the guy. I agree with that. When the original play hurley calls go bust he gets lost and can’t create.but he’s who we have and no one else can make a layup.

Reaction Score
Can't criticize Hurley because guys who know more than you (ask them) will give you flak

Reaction Score
There's no point calling out Cole. The team lost and the team is not good enough. I could replace Cole's name with 3 or 4 different names.
The other 3-4 names aren’t praised as “the next great UConn player/PG” or lauded as all Big East caliber guys.

If we agree RJ is just another piece on this team okay, but that’s not how he’s treated so he gets the blame.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Cole missed a lot of good looks tonight that he usually makes. I’ll give him a pass on everything except for the fact this is not the first game he’s missed key FTs down the stretch

For a 90% FT shooter that’s cause for concern. Especially come March

Reaction Score
The other 3-4 names aren’t praised as “the next great UConn player/PG” or lauded as all Big East caliber guys.

If we agree RJ is just another piece on this team okay, but that’s not how he’s treated so he gets the blame.
Can't speak for the board but I've never considered Cole as the next great UCONN pg. For about 25% of his UCONN career I didn't even consider him a PG.

Things Cole should be praised for. Turning himself into a pg is the first thing. Recognizing situations he handles well and doing his best to put himself in those situations is something Cole should be praised for. Next great UCONN PG ia something I've never considered or frankly heard or read.

Reaction Score
Common denominator in all these disappointments and late game droughts is the fact that RJ just is not good enough to pull out a W in these situations.

When he’s in hero mode and things are falling, sure we all love him. But he’s the DEFINITION of a ball stopper. He sits around and dribbles for 3/4 of the shot clock and we get up some hot potato shot.

On top of that, missing key free throws is just to be expected from him.

We need a new philosophy late game. The ball just can’t go through him anymore.
You really want to blame Cole for this loss? Did you see anyone getting open on offense or even able to make and outside shot besides Whaley? Polley was being played tight off screens and Sanogo was being double teamed in the post and became a black hole. I don't even want to talk about Martin as he was a big time disappointment for a SR.

Reaction Score
Cole missed a lot of good looks tonight that he usually makes. I’ll give him a pass on everything except for the fact this is not the first game he’s missed key FTs down the stretch

For a 90% FT shooter that’s cause for concern. Especially come March
I will agree those FT's hurt. Cole was tired. We really need someone decent who could give him a blow.

Reaction Score
Common denominator in all these disappointments and late game droughts is the fact that RJ just is not good enough to pull out a W in these situations.

When he’s in hero mode and things are falling, sure we all love him. But he’s the DEFINITION of a ball stopper. He sits around and dribbles for 3/4 of the shot clock and we get up some hot potato shot.

Post/handle

Reaction Score

Hahahagaha. This guy.

Reaction Score
He had an off night at the same time as everyone else aside from Whaley. It happens.

Reaction Score
Yeah they did - the announcers commented on the 2 hour shoot around this afternoon
Was at game so didn’t hear this- I really know nothing about Division 1 preparation but do a lot of teams do this the day of a game? Anyone know or have an idea?

CV1

Reaction Score
Another 0-7 for Hawkins/Polley didn't help.
The lack of help from the bench is really a problem. I’d say we need a combination of 15 points a game from Polley and Hawkins or we are not getting to the 2nd weekend in March. Cole isn’t the problem. Sanogo and Martin need some help to unclog the paint. We may be able to get by with one guy having a great offensive game against Depaul and Butler but it’s not going to work against anyone over .500 in the Big East.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Without RJ - this team is toast - DH relies on him so much and RJ has carried the team to quite a few wins
They need another combo guard who has some length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01