RJ Cole Appreciation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole Appreciation

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Why? We got to see plenty of Hawkins who topped off his career cutting down the nets. We barely got to see Bouknight, just 43 games, 15 as a sophomore and a Round 1 exit. Dude was averaging almost 19 ppg and was just scratching the surface. We really missed out on some entertainment value.

What's the point of the thought exercise: Are we satisfying a curiosity or trying to win another title?

Reaction Score
What's the point of the thought exercise: Are we satisfying a curiosity or trying to win another title?
For me it's curiosity, but now that you mention another title, Bouk might still be the man. From a talent standpoint, he was a pure joy to watch. No disrespect to Hawkins, of course.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
For me it's curiosity, but now that you mention another title, Bouk might still be the man. From a talent standpoint, he was a pure joy to watch. No disrespect to Hawkins, of course.

I'm watching what Hawk's doing against NBA defenses and I'm marveling.

I'm not saying Bouk couldn't be an alpha scorer on a title team but believing it requires a leap of faith. Unfortunately he got injured and wasn't able to overcome that when we needed him. Not his fault -- he was definitely hurt. But he just never showed me what Hawk showed me. And their NBA careers couldn't have started out any differently. Hawk didn't have the driving ability that Bouk had but for this team I'd take a guy who could hit 8 3's a game.

Reaction Score
I'm cherry picking for my personal opinion. I think worrying about players on team's past who weren't top of the line championship material is a waste of time.

It's fair for fans to honestly discuss a player's strengths and weaknesses and project how it would impact other teams.

I don't think pointing out he left with a potential year of elgibility and allowable money (NIL) is out of line. It's cold and harsh but from what I know he wasn't scooped up by anyone else.

I wasn't the biggest Cole fan in the world and I went round and round with a few on this board over it. But I sure as heck wouldn't start a thread or a tweet or anything else about it mid-January. Maybe a June or July dead time discussion but I doubt I'd even start one then.

A championship is supposed to erase five years of and bad memories and give you five years of hope.

And for the record, I love those AITA topics. It is a pure guilty pleasure reading those stories.
I was waiting for you to show up when I opened this thread, I knew you wouldn't let me down with your take

Reaction Score
I'm watching what Hawk's doing against NBA defenses and I'm marveling.

I'm not saying Bouk couldn't be an alpha scorer on a title team but believing it requires a leap of faith. Unfortunately he got injured and wasn't able to overcome that when we needed him. Not his fault -- he was definitely hurt. But he just never showed me what Hawk showed me. And their NBA careers couldn't have started out any differently. Hawk didn't have the driving ability that Bouk had but for this team I'd take a guy who could hit 8 3's a game.
I don't watch the NBA so that don't confront me. What I do remember is watching Bouknight make plays at UConn which were just awesome. He never showed you?! What?! Maybe you don't remember, but he was an alpha scorer. I'm not comparing Bouk to Hawkins. I'm just saying the kid was one talented mo-fo who could flat out play. And it would have been great to see him play his junior year, healthy, full season, experienced, with fans in the stands.

My gift to you. Well, Bouk's gift to you.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't watch the NBA so that don't confront me. What I do remember is watching Bouknight make plays at UConn which were just awesome. He never showed you?! What?! Maybe you don't remember, but he was an alpha scorer. I'm not comparing Bouk to Hawkins. I'm just saying the kid was one talented mo-fo who could flat out play. And it would have been great to see him play his junior year, healthy, full season, experienced, with fans in the stands.

My gift to you. Well, Bouk's gift to you.

Man I forgot how good Bouk was. He’s still probably the most talented player in the Hurley era. Even moreso than Castle. Some of those shots he’s taking and making are wtf. I almost dropped my phone at the finish at 3:25.

He was legitimately playing like an All American/possibly one of the best players in the country before injury and you can tell just by cutting on the tape. Really sad what’s happened with his pro career.

Reaction Score
Man I forgot how good Bouk was. He’s still probably the most talented player in the Hurley era. Even moreso than Castle. Some of those shots he’s taking and making are wtf. I almost dropped my phone at the finish at 3:25.

He was legitimately playing like an All American/possibly one of the best players in the country before injury and you can tell just by cutting on the tape. Really sad what’s happened with his pro career.
Pure talent. His sport was baseball and didn't even start playing basketball until middle school. Between the AAC mess, injuries, and covid, his UConn career really was robbed. He'd be up on the wall given different circumstances.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Pure talent. His sport was baseball and didn't even start playing basketball until middle school. Between the AAC mess, injuries, and covid, his UConn career really was robbed. He'd be up on the wall given different circumstances.
Also if he just had better teammates too. When he was here he was pretty much the offense. I couldn’t imagine him in the offense we have now with the space he’d have to operate.

Guy was a legit 3 level scorer with elite level finishing ability. I wonder if he would’ve been able to keep his midrange pull up in this offense though. He took (and made) a lot of shots that’s frowned upon in todays system.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Love RJ

Internet is full of losers, most who have no voice away from their keyboard

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
Most sports fans don’t know sports. There’s Fandom and then there’s realistic, knowledgeable sports fans. Totally different people.

Reaction Score
There is a difference between liking a player and appreciating his contributions on the one hand and his talent level on the other. Fans tend to conflate the 2. Cole was a tough undersized and a bit slow. Probably wouldn’t have gotten much playing time on the 2023 team or this year’s team either. Just not that level of player. Newton is a huge upgrade at point guard. Hawkins was a much better player too as is Castle. We don’t win the title with Cole at the point. He just wasn’t at that level. I think Diarra is better, too. It doesn’t mean he wasn’t a valuable player or that he didn’t bring it every game. He was a good player on a good but not great team. Because people recognize that doesn’t mean they are dissing him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom