RJ and Sanogo | The Boneyard

RJ and Sanogo

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
It seems like Sanogo gets into position very early in the shot clock but RJ never gets him the ball right away but when he does, good things happen. Just wondering if we need to feed him earlier then we have been?

I guess I don't think RJ has the inside passing skills that would compliment Sadama

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It seems like Sanogo gets into position very early in the shot clock but RJ never gets him the ball right away but when he does, good things happen. Just wondering if we need to feed him earlier then we have been?

I guess I don't think RJ has the inside passing skills that would compliment Sadama
Maybe the game plan isn't pound the ball down low early on every single possession. My take.

Reaction Score
I think it's as simple as RJ is bringing the ball down the middle of the lane while Sanogo is setting up shop. The entry pass from the top of the key to the post is very hard. That's why I think the ball gets swung to the wing for an easier entry. I notice this many times and yell for the players to get him the ball when he has his man sealed which is quite often.

Reaction Score

The play is to play hi low with a big feeding Sanogo.

Reaction Score

Love Sanogo and his development and obviously a key guy but he is a black hole. He gets it, it is going up. He gets it early, it is going up early.

Reaction Score
He got a lot to learn and for board members who are critical of him should watch the 1999 championship game. Duke’s Big was Elton Brand and one of the keys was preventing him from passing out by doubling him.
He was POY and had a decent NBA career for guy considered small by their Standards. In fact Sonogo is somewhat reminiscent of him body and size wise. However his passing was a big part in creating shots,
Maybe Sonogo should watch his games.l

Reaction Score
He got a lot to learn and for board members who are critical of him should watch the 1999 championship game. Duke’s Big was Elton Brand and one of the keys was preventing him from passing out by doubling him.
He was POY and had a decent NBA career for guy considered small by their Standards. In fact Sonogo is somewhat reminiscent of him body and size wise. However his passing was a big part in creating shots,

I think his passing may not have developed that way you're imaginging until he got to the NBA. I'm admittedly not 100% sure, but that's my recollection. To be fair, I was in middle school during his prime NBA years lol.

Also--apparently he's the GM of the 76ers now? I had no idea.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have also thought of Elton Brand as a good comparator for Sanogo.

Reaction Score
The problem with Sanogo is that style of play no longer exists in the NBA...just sayin..

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sanogo is still developing. Didn't he reclassify? As a comp I see him as a better version of Grant Williams with the Celtics. He can't hit 3s now, but neither could Williams. Nor could Al Horford as he got to the NBA. Sanogo has a nice stroke and that soft touch around the rim should carry over. His touch around the basket stands out compared to guys like Williams, but he needs to really show constant effort on the boards and on defense. A guy like him has to have a high work rate to make the NBA.

Passing should come. He suffers from what many college players suffer from, he's a focus of the offense and won't be at the next level. Lot of HS kids have to adjust to that in college and I think he's learning that he has to once the defense keys on him.

Reaction Score
The problem with Sanogo is that style of play no longer exists in the NBA...just sayin..

That's a good thing. A true center can still be successful in college, and it means we will probably have him for 3-4 years.

Reaction Score
As a comp I see him as a better version of Grant Williams with the Celtics. He can't hit 3s now, but neither could Williams. Nor could Al Horford as he got to the NBA.
body type sure but those guys are also very good passers and sanogo is horrible. their vision, especially horford's, is not a skill you can teach it's a gift. sanogo can/should learn to pass out of a triple team but that's kinda like a bare minimum requirement.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sanogo is still developing. Didn't he reclassify?
Yes. He's 19, same age as Hawkins and Diggins. He's young for his class and is newer to basketball and American basketball than most. He left his family and friends and came over here from Mali at 15, not knowing a word of English.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Sanogo is a beast, arguably our #1 or #2 so far this year, but I think some of the problems we’ve seen over the last couple games is over reliance on funneling the offense through him at all costs. Against VCU and UMES our guys were feeding him too far away from the basket. I hope Hurley is a) having Sanogo working on getting better position and b) instructing his guys to move the ball around until he can do so before passing it in there

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and what if it was coach's plan to use a training game to see if adama, with his obvious growing tendency to handle more from the right side, can begin an attack further out? do i know this? no. was it possible? definitely yes, cuz, ya know, springtime tourneys an all that.
ps. the man is excellent at the charity stripe, sooooooo, late in a game, or when we're in bonus, and it's shown that he can effectively begin at 10 or 15 feet, mebbe cold logic sez 'toss it to sanogo, get sum freebies,' cuz, u know, all the reachin and bumpin that might happen.
he's freakin 19 years old, and ripening in front of our eyes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom