Rizzotti named to nat'l team staff | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rizzotti named to nat'l team staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Wbbfan1 said:
Would DT be like Larry Bird and Magic Johnson unable to cope with players that don't have the same work ethic that she does? I can see DT getting frustrated at players who aren't as talented as she is or the player with potential but is unwilling to put in the time to meet or exceed her potential. That's why so may great players are unable to be effective coaches.

That is a question for which we do not know the answer now, although I must say that we have seen her work with many players without as much talent as she (seriously, how many really are at her level? very few I think), and we have seen her motivate all kinds of players first at UConn, who knows in Europe, and now in Phoenix to get on the same page and get to the ultimate goal .

Getting players to buy into a system is key to success Geno has that ability and I'm betting that Diana does too although I realize that at the end of the day, this is a wait and see kind of thing.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
1. Is there anyone here willing to actually question whether Ms Rizzotti gets this position without her connections to Coach Auriemma? Yes, this is how the world turns, but still...
2. Is there anyone here willing to put forward the name of a black successor to Coach Auriemma? Is there any chance the women's program will go in the same direction as the men's program? If the women's program eventually does what the men's program did in picking a UConn alum from California who had to work extraordinarily hard to get a professional contract, then I have the perfect candidate in mind.
Ms Rizzotti has reportedly turned down any number of inquiries from larger schools to apply for coaching vacancies because of her family and wanting to keep a stable environment during her children's early years. USA basketball does not just select chopped liver to coach any of their teams and have selected Jen to do so on multiple occasions, so ... she is a viable candidate for any coaching opening i would think. As far as Uconn is concerned, having some system/program continuity when Geno decides to retire is pretty desirable though not probably a red-line. Having some head coaching experience is likely to be more of a red-line unless one of the associate/assistants on the staff is selected which was Kevin's situation.
I don't have any take on the ethnicity of the successor coach and suspect no one associated with the program does either. The resume and personality are the issues.
Of Uconn affiliated folks I would think CD would head the list if she was interested, followed in some order by JR, SR, and MM. I actually find Marisa to be an intriguing possibility. I would add TC and JE to that list though I think both of their struggles leading their own teams may preclude them from being high on any list at this time.
As for former players DT and Sue ... I think they would need to have some coaching record prior to being considered seriously. I know other programs have gone that route, just don't think a program that is not struggling would be likely to take that kind of chance.

Reaction Score
When the time comes, I hope we don't make the same mistake that Tennessee has by
insisting that the new coach must have a UConn connection.

We should hire the best coach available.
And she'll most likely have a UConn connection.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Could someone please tell me what a "court coach" is? Thank you!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Could someone please tell me what a "court coach" is? Thank you!
They help coach during practices but are not on the bench during games.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Of Uconn affiliated folks I would think CD would head the list if she was interested, followed in some order by JR, SR, and MM. I actually find Marisa to be an intriguing possibility. I would add TC and JE to that list though I think both of their struggles leading their own teams may preclude them from being high on any list at this time.

and what is Jen doing so special at UHart... local talent doesn't even want to go there. She did have a good 3-4yr stretch but its been downhill for some years lately.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UHart is I think a pretty hard sell. I know there are a few mid majors that occasionally make noise but there are mid majors and then there are mid minors. Still she has been conference coach of the year three times. Compared to recruiting for Temple and or Cinci, it is a much tougher sell.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Storrs was a harder sell... and here we are. She was more popular than Geno when they both entered the coaching field... that should be good for something

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Storrs was a harder sell... and here we are. She was more popular than Geno when they both entered the coaching field... that should be good for something
Geno had two things going for him. Well, actually three.

One, Uconn was in the big east, a major conference.

Two, he was able to convince a top 5 recruit in Lobo to come. It has to start somewhere. Jen hasn't had that (see my first reason)

Three, he's Geno. While he didn't have the reputation, he had the vision and personality. I love Jen, but she is not Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom