RIP Willie McCovey. | The Boneyard

RIP Willie McCovey.

Reaction Score
Died today. 80 years old. A childhood memory of mine is the Giants had a 3 game series with the Mets at Shea Stadium. McCovey homered all 3 games! In those days my dad had access to tickets through his job and I saw all 3 games in person. The first game he homered off Seaver. Koosman the second game and Gentry the third game. There was no doubt on any of them leaving the ballpark.

Reaction Score
R.I.P. Willie

1541041174670.png

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Man I loved that guy. along with Willie. At the time during my young years (pre-Mets) I was a big Yankees fan. I watched as this man remained a gentleman throughout their series loss to Mickey and crew. Even through that line drive final out to end the series. He remained a fine, gentle man throughout his life. A great player and a terrific person. RIP Willie.

Reaction Score
I believe he once hit a line drive home run that smacked off the outfield score board and the ball then bounced all the way back to the infield ...........too bad they didn't have exit velocity measurements back then because he might have set some records......

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
With each passing of reminders of my past, I break down and cry for people who were heroes of my youth, now a little bit of me dies with each of them!
My Dad, who was never sick in his life, and who got out an extension ladder to climb on the roof of his three story house at 82 years old, finally faced his decision to halt chemo. He told me that he did it because everyone he knew in his youth was dead. All his friends were gone. He was ready! It hurt , but I understood his thought process. I surely hope you are not at that point, but I appreciate your insight. Requiescat In Pace ,Willie!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I was a Yankee fan growing up, there was something magnificent about that big looping swing from McCovey, as well as the fact that he played 1st base like me, that made him one of my all time favorite ball players.

Yes it’s sad when our boyhood heroes pass away. Fortunately, there are young players like Mike Trout, Mookie Betts and Aaron Judge just getting started that lessen our sadness about the past with the promise of the future.

Reaction Score
He was part of the greatest day of my life golfwise. I was set to play golf with Rick Barry, the president of the company that was trying to win my business, and a teenage Tiger Woods at Lake Merced GC in SF. Willie showed up and wanted to play with us. After a bit of talking, Tiger dropped out to play in the group behind us and Willie joined us.

Tiger was only 16 at the time, but already semi-famous. He was visiting Stanford and playing Lake Merced in a practice round for some future event. Every hole, we would hit our shots and stand to the side and watch Tiger drive. I was a long hitter. Rick Barry was longer than me. Tiger was way longer than either of us. It was very impressive.

Willie was the nicest man. Rick Barry tried to talk him into doing autograph sessions where he got paid for each signature. Willie said that he would never, ever charge for his signature. As far as I know, he never did.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
When growing up in NY I would always go to the Giants games at Shea. Made sure to get there as soon as the gates opened to watch McCovey and Mays hit the ball over the wall in BP, McCovey with ease. I saw this picture on the net yesterday. It was from 1969, at Candlestick vs the Reds. They employed the McCovey shift when he was at bat.
Mccovey shift 2.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When growing up in NY I would always go to the Giants games at Shea. Made sure to get there as soon as the gates opened to watch McCovey and Mays hit the ball over the wall in BP, McCovey with ease. I saw this picture on the net yesterday. It was from 1969, at Candlestick vs the Reds. They employed the McCovey shift when he was at bat. View attachment 35838
Love that photo with absolutely no one on the left side of the infield. McCovey could of stuck out his bat to lay down hard bunts anywhere between 3rd base & Shortstop, but the big man with the big bat was focused on hitting Big Flies over the top of the shift into the stands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom