Rip Whitey Ford | The Boneyard

Rip Whitey Ford

Reaction Score

Anyone on this board could have taken my money on the bar bet on whether or not he was still alive. I would have thought he died at least a decade ago.
RIP, and I agree. I thought he had passed years ago.

Reaction Score
Unlike Mantle the partying seemed to agree with him as Whitey lived to the age of 91. I was too young to have seen him pitch.

I watched the movie 61 on HBO and couldn't believe that the actor playing Whitey was Anthony Michael Hall. Hall had sure changed since his early movie roles as Rusty or Farmer Ted.

RIP Whitey who was "the Greatest Living Yankee" until today.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A true legend. I never saw him in person, but did on TV many times. This is so odd Two days ago after talking to a friend about old Yankees I googled to see how old (or if alive) a few were. Whitey was my first search. RIP the Chairman of the Board.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I saw him pitch at Yankee Stadium a couple of times when I was a kid. He was very focused and crisp in his approach. He had great control and knew exactly what he wanted to do with each pitch. Ford pitching to Berra was a joy to watch.

Reaction Score
I remember him being at all of the old timers day games, I remember growing up seeing Joe D, Yogi and Whitey never playing in those games but being introduced last if I can recall and the Stadium lit up like a rock concert.

RIP Whitey, Let’s go Cole be a legend tonight.

Reaction Score
I live in Westport, CT. When my son Alan was small Whitey Ford came to sign balls at a sport memorabilia store in town. We met one of my Yankee heroes when I was a kid and a person who is probably one of the best pitchers ever. It was a different era. Whitey would usually pitch most of the game and I remember Luis Arroyo saving the game for him. Well anyway I have a ball signed by Whitey a true "Hall of Famer". RIP!

Reaction Score
Many probably don't have empathy towards 90+ year olds dying.

May he rest in peace. This life is the blink of an eye, no matter how long you live.

Reaction Score
First saw Whitey Ford at Bulkeley Stadium in Hartford on a Sunday afternoon in 1949. He was pitching for the Binghamton Triplets against the Hartford Chiefs. He was just plain Ed Ford then. Took a 1-0 lead into the bottom of the 9th, but the Chiefs got a double from Billy Reed and a single from Jackie Daniels to tie it. Then, in the bottom of the 10th, Homer Moore name-saked one over the centerfield fence to beat him. He was 16-5 that year with a 1.61 ERA. Absolutely no doubt he was headed for the big-time.

I was 10 and still four years away from stumbling across the radio voice of George Ehrlich one night and discovering UConn Basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First saw Whitey Ford at Bulkeley Stadium in Hartford on a Sunday afternoon in 1949. He was pitching for the Binghamton Triplets against the Hartford Chiefs. He was just plain Ed Ford then. Took a 1-0 lead into the bottom of the 9th, but the Chiefs got a double from Billy Reed and a single from Jackie Daniels to tie it. Then, in the bottom of the 10th, Homer Moore name-saked one over the centerfield fence to beat him. He was 16-5 that year with a 1.61 ERA. Absolutely no doubt he was headed for the big-time.

I was 10 and still four years away from stumbling across the radio voice of George Ehrlich one night and discovering UConn Basketball.
I lived in the South End so I visited the site of the old Bulkeley Stadium. All that was left was a plaque in the ground on George Street. That must have been something to see a game there. I read that Babe played his last game there as well.

Reaction Score
I lived in the South End so I visited the site of the old Bulkeley Stadium. All that was left was a plaque in the ground on George Street. That must have been something to see a game there. I read that Babe played his last game there as well.

I lived a 15-minute walk from Bulkeley Stadium as a kid and saw many, many games there between 1949 and the demise of the Chiefs in 1952. It was a day when parents thought nothing of letting a pre-teenager go to night games by himself and find his way home after 10 PM. I was there in the summer of 1947 when Babe Ruth made an appearance on what must have been his last barnstorming trip. Hit one over the right field fence and announced to the crowd, "This park ain't big enough for me." I got that from my older brother. Me. I had a bad case of the trots and spent the whole time under the grandstand in the toilet stall. Never laid eyes on the Babe.

I remember well the summer afternoon in 1948 when the radio announced his death, Kids were running up and down the street, yelling to each other, "Babe Ruth died!" It was a big, big thing. You felt there was something you were supposed to do, but you didn't know what. There were real heroes in those days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom