Rip up the Rotations and Game Plans | The Boneyard

Rip up the Rotations and Game Plans

Reaction Score
Basketball can be a tough game if your team can’t shoot, every other mistake you make gets magnified and your margin for error is small. Too often this UConn team has that problem.

Having said that we really screwed up in that thin margin for error territory. If we didn’t have Cole/Sanogo all season or IW last night, I can’t imagine how disappointing we would be.

Our starting line-up just doesn’t work for us and is responsible for a long list of slow starts. Although, they played terrible today, I would try Polley, Gaffney or Hawkins in the starting line-up, in an effort to shake up rotations that’s have failed us. Pick one and change things up. It is clear that teams are packing the paint and giving us open 3 looks.

Of the starters, Sanogo, our best player, played the least minutes (29). Whatever crazy match-up mythology our staff was seeking backfired. Twice when he was out in the second half they scored on lay-up drives with an unprotected rim. When you let your opponent dictate the match-ups, you generally lose, as we did last night.

Our bench went 0-8 with 2 points from the line. As a team. we shot 29% from the field and 23% from the 3 line. Lots of guys are not in the gym enough. What’s enough? When you have confidence your shot is going in and it does. Until then it’s not enough.

As for Tyler Polley, standing in one corner so that your defender has an opportunity to rest before going on offense - doesn't work. Tyler needs to run off screens, go corner to corner and around loop double screens to the top of the key. Most of all he needs to take the ball to the basket or go for intermediate shots. At 6-9 he can get the ball off but as importantly get to the foul line where he’s actually been consistent. It’s also a way to gain confidence.

Hawkins is in a confidence crisis. Don’t underestimate the extent of the crisis. He is a good, talented kid who wants to do well. But, we need to figure his role out ASAP. Right now Danny obviously views him as someone who will cost you the game rather than win it. Evidence was the abscence of late gane playing time last night.

Whaley had a great game, and whoever did Creighton’s scouting report on UConn, IW should thank too.

What worked well last night? Our on ball defense was actually pretty good and we did not reach in, we played defense with our feet.

We have the best dressed assistant coaches in the Big East. Yet, far too often Chief looks up at the scoreboard half way through the first half and we have something like 13 points. Time to change things, and hope it works. Given our poor shooting everything has a handicap to it, but we need to change the offensive chemistry. I though Tom was very engaged with the players last night sensing defeat as we came out after halftime. I did not detect a sense of urgency across the board. Maybe this is subjective and unfair but that was Chief’s observation.

Reaction Score
Great post Chief.

I think Hurley and the coaching staff were caught looking ahead to Nova and did not have our guys ready for this game. We let them dictate matchups and the short leash on Akok, Gaffney, and Hawkins is hurting their confidence and their play is getting worse because of it. I don't mind riding with the hot hand but when Polley, Martin, and Jackson don't have their shot they still get their minutes. I'm glad Hurley admitted in presser that he needs to fix what's happening with the bench. Hopefully we'll see a change starting Saturday.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
They have to learn to respect their opponent and play hard every minute.

And falling behind early and large is just unacceptable

Wake up and represent

Hurley better call the GOAT for a pep talk

Reaction Score
Great post Chief.

I think Hurley and the coaching staff were caught looking ahead to Nova and did not have our guys ready for this game. We let them dictate matchups and the short leash on Akok, Gaffney, and Hawkins is hurting their confidence and their play is getting worse because of it. I don't mind riding with the hot hand but when Polley, Martin, and Jackson don't have their shot they still get their minutes. I'm glad Hurley admitted in presser that he needs to fix what's happening with the bench. Hopefully we'll see a change starting Saturday.
Thanks. What concerned Chief was he termed the problem to be the “bench”. They weren’t the ones that have been putting up 13 points in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Polley starting with either Martin or Jackson on the bench. I don't see Hurley not starting Whaley as he is such a big part of our defense, but we need to get more offense early out of our starters. Bringing in Polley and Hawk as a combo for our first subs as is now the case does not help Hawkins. He and Polley should be put in the game at different times. How does RJ ever get a break? Well that question was not answered in the offseason unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Basketball can be a tough game if your team can’t shoot, every other mistake you make gets magnified and your margin for error is small. Too often this UConn team has that problem.

Having said that we really screwed up in that thin margin for error territory. If we didn’t have Cole/Sanogo all season or IW last night, I can’t imagine how disappointing we would be.

Our starting line-up just doesn’t work for us and is responsible for a long list of slow starts. Although, they played terrible today, I would try Polley, Gaffney or Hawkins in the starting line-up, in an effort to shake up rotations that’s have failed us. Pick one and change things up. It is clear that teams are packing the paint and giving us open 3 looks.

Of the starters, Sanogo, our best player, played the least minutes (29). Whatever crazy match-up mythology our staff was seeking backfired. Twice when he was out in the second half they scored on lay-up drives with an unprotected rim. When you let your opponent dictate the match-ups, you generally lose, as we did last night.

Our bench went 0-8 with 2 points from the line. As a team. we shot 29% from the field and 23% from the 3 line. Lots of guys are not in the gym enough. What’s enough? When you have confidence your shot is going in and it does. Until then it’s not enough.

As for Tyler Polley, standing in one corner so that your defender has an opportunity to rest before going on offense - doesn't work. Tyler needs to run off screens, go corner to corner and around loop double screens to the top of the key. Most of all he needs to take the ball to the basket or go for intermediate shots. At 6-9 he can get the ball off but as importantly get to the foul line where he’s actually been consistent. It’s also a way to gain confidence.

Hawkins is in a confidence crisis. Don’t underestimate the extent of the crisis. He is a good, talented kid who wants to do well. But, we need to figure his role out ASAP. Right now Danny obviously views him as someone who will cost you the game rather than win it. Evidence was the abscence of late gane playing time last night.

Whaley had a great game, and whoever did Creighton’s scouting report on UConn, IW should thank too.

What worked well last night? Our on ball defense was actually pretty good and we did not reach in, we played defense with our feet.

We have the best dressed assistant coaches in the Big East. Yet, far too often Chief looks up at the scoreboard half way through the first half and we have something like 13 points. Time to change things, and hope it works. Given our poor shooting everything has a handicap to it, but we need to change the offensive chemistry. I though Tom was very engaged with the players last night sensing defeat as we came out after halftime. I did not detect a sense of urgency across the board. Maybe this is subjective and unfair but that was Chief’s observation.
Solid post, Chief. Forget about the double screens you mentioned… where are the simple screens for Polley? This team is so lacking when it comes to executing fundamentals. I watched with purpose last night. I can tell you with high confidence that the screens set for Polley are an absolute joke. There’s a reason why this guy can’t get open and it has nothing to do with his lack of speed or athleticism. One Polley issue where I strongly agree with you… Tyler needs to go to the basket, especially against shorter defenders. He has a much better handle than most Boneyarders will admit, and at his height, he will get fouled or get a clear look. He should be good for 2-3 visits to the line every game if he plays 20-25 minutes.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Polley starting with either Martin or Jackson on the bench. I don't see Hurley not starting Whaley as he is such a big part of our defense, but we need to get more offense early out of our starters. Bringing in Polley and Hawk as a combo for our first subs as is now the case does not help Hawkins. He and Polley should be put in the game at different times. How does RJ ever get a break? Well that question was not answered in the offseason unfortunately.
Agree with this. I think it should be Jackson on the bench, and he can come in as a quasi guard to take some of the ballhandling pressure off the second unit.

Polley needs to start for his shooting alone at this point, just to get a little more spacing on the floor.

Hawkins as this point should be used like Polley - catch and shoot player with the second unit.

Reaction Score
I've been very critical of Hurley in the past, but I think this was more of a look-ahead game to Villanova. For that reason, I'm not sweating the loss too much. They'll come out firing against Nova I bet.

Also, I would love if Whaley got moved to the bench as a sixth man. The bench unit desperately needs some juice and he could bring it. I'm not sure why Gaffney plays, at all, at this point. He only played six minutes, so far from the reason why we lost but I can't think of a single thing he does well besides dribble the ball across half-court. Surely Diggins could do that too.

Reaction Score
Solid post, Chief. Forget about the double screens you mentioned… where are the simple screens for Polley? This team is so lacking when it comes to executing fundamentals. I watched with purpose last night. I can tell you with high confidence that the screens set for Polley are an absolute joke. There’s a reason why this guy can’t get open and it has nothing to do with his lack of speed or athleticism. One Polley issue where I strongly agree with you… Tyler needs to go to the basket, especially against shorter defenders. He has a much better handle than most Boneyarders will admit, and at his height, he will get fouled or get a clear look. He should be good for 2-3 visits to the line every game if he plays 20-25 minutes.
Agree about the screens and the best way to break a shooting slump and gain confidence is to go to the foul line.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Good post Chief.

The shooting is a BIG issue, and as you said we can't start the games ice cold and our starting lineup is pretty jump shot deficient.

It's probably tough for Hurley because he doesn't want to bench and hamper Jackson's confidence and affect on the game in other ways. Also, Martin has mostly been good, but overall that lineup just doesn't have the shooting.

If we get out to a hot start without jumpers, great. But more often than not it seems that lineup is getting us into a hole. No shot makers, no shot creators at G/W.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
If you’re going to have 2 hour long shoot around you better be the most well conditioned team in the country. Guys looked tired at the tip. Cole was front riming everything. Martin was standing still in the half court. More time on film, less time expending energy before the games.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Piling on, regardless of how the starters are playing, it's rare to see Hurley sub in before the 14-15 minute mark unless there is a foul issue or injury. Quite often it's all five starters on the floor coming out of the under 16 TV timeout. Hurley gives his players plenty of time to ease their way in to the flow of the game. There is no shock and awe coming off the bench to jolt the starters if they are in a funk.

Reaction Score
I don't think I have ever seen a team of players, that one game they can be red hot, and the next 4-5 games ice cold, where they can't even make easy lay ups or simple put backs.
IMO, this team is going nowhere with this type of play...and the new strategy should be to develop the highy touted freshman, because they will be sophmores soon and need some run.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I like the idea of Polley (should be Hawkins, but he's just simply not ready) starting because we just are too lacking in shooting with the current starting lineup. The rotations need to change on the mix and matches. However Polley is way too easily neutralized. Creighton did a great job chasing him around when we were obviously running stuff with him in mind, and Polley just does not cut sharply enough to get himself just the tiny bit of space he needs to receive the ball and get something off clean. He just doesn't run solid cuts off screen action. really never has. Polley is at his best when two other players on the floor are threats so teams cant key on him. But we really have no threats. Not consistent ones. Not the the last couple games. So when no other player deserves attention, teams will turn their attention to playing Polley tight. The other issue is Sanogo. He's simply not getting position in spots where he can be effective. Teams are doing a good job of making him catch out of the paint. He has improved on making passing looks, but still needs to improve more. Especially quickly and not holding too long. If you are catching in a tough spot, and are outside the paint and/or doubled ,throw it out right away for an open 3 pop, or throw it out and repost and maybe get it back in better position. Someone needs to put a tape loop of Deandre Ayton's year at Arizona and sit Adama in front of it clockwork orange style.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Excellent post. Danny needs to get a strategy fast and it starts with transition basketball. We simply cannot produce in a set offense with poor outside shooting, and minimal ball and player rotation. We need to get numbers and press up the floor. The extended man to man D has an innate weakness. It can invert player positions with your backcourt getting sucked down to the baseline, and big men being pulled away from the glass - none of which is conducive is creating quick release outlets and getting number advantages up the floor. Creating easy scoring opportunities near the rim is key to building momentum and confidence. The problem I see with Danny is he doesn't realize he's heading for trouble until he's deep in it, and his adjustments are confined to a limited bag of movements based on the same philosophical schemes.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of Polley (should be Hawkins, but he's just simply not ready) starting because we just are too lacking in shooting with the current starting lineup. The rotations need to change on the mix and matches. However Polley is way too easily neutralized. Creighton did a great job chasing him around when we were obviously running stuff with him in mind, and Polley just does not cut sharply enough to get himself just the tiny bit of space he needs to receive the ball and get something off clean. He just doesn't run solid cuts off screen action. really never has. Polley is at his best when two other players on the floor are threats so teams cant key on him. But we really have no threats. Not consistent ones. Not the the last couple games. So when no other player deserves attention, teams will turn their attention to playing Polley tight. The other issue is Sanogo. He's simply not getting position in spots where he can be effective. Teams are doing a good job of making him catch out of the paint. He has improved on making passing looks, but still needs to improve more. Especially quickly and not holding too long. If you are catching in a tough spot and are outside the paint an/or doubled throw it out right away for an open 3 pop, or throw it out and repost and maybe get it back in better position. Someone needs to put a tape loop of Deandre Ayton's year at Arizona and sit Adama in front of it clockwork orange style.
I totally agree that even though Sanogo makes the occasional pass out of the post he is still holding the ball too long there and trying to create for himself instead of others. There was one play that he was being triple teamed and Martin was wide open just under the basket and he refused to pass to him for a layup and took an contested shot and missed. We just need him to be smarter with the ball when teams are sagging on him with 2 to 3 guys.

Reaction Score
What happened to Akok? What did he play, 2 minutes yesterday? If Polly isn't getting open and hitting shots he's not bringing much to the game yet is getting a ton of minutes. I believe his line on the board last night was 2, 1, 1. Why isn't Akok getting more minutes, surely he could produce more than that. The biggest need is a 2nd point guard. Gaffney seems to have regressed. Granted he didn't play alot yesterday but in his few minutes he didn't bring anything on offense. One last question I have is why does Jackson get a pass (no pun intended) for some of the worst passes you will ever see in an organized basketball game. I would love to see the Calhoun quick hook after some of them. There was 1 in particular yesterday where he jumped, got caught in the air, then threw it to the 3rd row on the sideline.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Great post Chief00
I feel that Cole, Martin, Hawkins, Whaley and Sanogo should be the starters and/or the go to line-up.
Thats the kind of line up UConn used to dominate with - reminds me a little like that 99 championship team in physical make-up. Hawkins could easily be molded into a Rip type of player. The one big difference is that you don't have a shutdown defensive guard. Martin needs to demand the ball more because he can drive against the bigger guys.
The hedging BS has to stop - UConn gave up at least four 3 pt shots by leaving shooters open in the corner - it also puts our bigs out of position to grab rebounds
Why do you recruit top ranked kids to keep them tied to the bench? This is not a good look for recruitment. All this talk about depth is just that talk - I am sure that kids like Hawkins, Sool and Johnson/Springs would be much more ready to contribute if they had received appreciable playing time earlier in the season rather than watching the starters blow cupcakes out by 40 plus points.
Bad night, bad look, bad karma all around - thank you IW for showing up

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Agreed the slow starts have been killing us, but Gaffney starting? He barely deserves the run he does get.

Reaction Score

This was an excellent until the last paragraph. But otherwise spot on.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

So in your first discrete argument you mention 3 starters as integral and then say we need to shake up the starting lineup. That leaves Martin & Jackson who prior to yesterday evening were both playing extremely well. Martin's toughness has bailed us out of plenty of jams including going HAM against butler. Jackson has been stuffing the stat sheet.

I don't think we can say with certainty whether we would have been better defensively with Adama on the floor against the small lineup, but I would have liked to take my chances with him outscoring them on O on the other side of the floor.
These are the guys you want to put in the starting line up above.
We were running Polley off screens all game. O Connell was all over him. He was beating him around the curls and denying him the ball or not giving him enough space to shoot. Credit McDermott there.
I think we universally see him as someone who may cost us the game. He's been turnover prone and lets his first good or bad play dictate the rest of his performance for the game. His miss of the backboard last night from three was one of the worst bricks we've seen all year. He hasn't earned any sort of trust in the lineup. None of this is to put the kid down, hes a freshman and working hard and he'll be great for us one day. He's not ready yet.

We should have exploited this until they changed up their gameplan.
It's been great all year and why we remain in ALL games.
We have the best dressed assistant coaches in the Big East. Yet, far too often Chief looks up at the scoreboard half way through the first half and we have something like 13 points. Time to change things, and hope it works. Given our poor shooting everything has a handicap to it, but we need to change the offensive chemistry.
I don't think we do. We had a coach sell out to take away our 1 and 2 options and beg our 5th offensive option to beat them. It was sufficiently, we didn't hammer it every possession, we should have.

Remember that every option you want to switch up on the offensive end has a corresponding impact to the defensive end keeping us a top 25 team. Polley was getting attacked every possession on ISO when he was in the game. Hawkins get's lost a lot and is foul prone.

Gaffney is the closet thing we have to a change of pace option and god knows he's had his struggles too.

I though Tom was very engaged with the players last night sensing defeat as we came out after halftime. I did not detect a sense of urgency across the board. Maybe this is subjective and unfair but that was Chief’s observation.
This is subjective and unfair.

Reaction Score
They have to learn to respect their opponent and play hard every minute.

And falling behind early and large is just unacceptable

Wake up and represent

Hurley better call the GOAT for a pep talk
100%. He needs to talk to JC. Losing 6 out of 7 games decided by 4 points or less would NEVER happen with JC. He‘s fix it long before it got to this ridiculous point. Not sure DH has it in him grow. Hope I’m wrong

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
100%. He needs to talk to JC. Losing 6 out of 7 games decided by 4 points or less would NEVER happen with JC. He‘s fix it long before it got to this ridiculous point. Not sure DH has it in him grow. Hope I’m wrong
in 2010 JC lost 6 of 7 games decided by 4 points or less. I believe that season ended with all 5 starters on the bench.
in 2005 JC lost 4 of 5 games decided by 4 points or less.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Polley starting with either Martin or Jackson on the bench.

agreed. aj is the worse 3 pt shooter of the two so it's gotta be him that moves to the bench in favor of polley.

i lack confidence in that lineup for defensive reasons but we have to give ourselves a chance on offense.

maybe this way we jump start the AJ as backup PG era too. looking for silver linings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom