RIP Tom Konchalski, hoops scout | The Boneyard

RIP Tom Konchalski, hoops scout

Reaction Score
Tom Konchalski, legendary HS hoops scout, dead at 74

Tom was to boys' basketball what Joe Smith was to girls' basketball.

Both Tom and Joe lived and ran their scouting services out of Forest Hill, Queens.

Neither Tom nor Joe drove a car and I transported Joe to many a girls' tourney.

The elite Girls' Division in the annual girls' Nike Tournament of Champions is named the Joe Smith Division.

More than 200 men's basketball coaches - including Calipari, Pitino & Krzyzewski - subscribed to and paid for Tom's scouting newsletter, AND considered him a friend.

Tom played high school basketball at Archbishop Molloy [Queens] under legendary coach, Jack Curran, and played alongside my high school bestie, All-City Billie Lawrence who played at North Carolina. Tom wasn't nearly as good as Billie, but his love for the game led him to his life's work.

Reaction Score
Not sure if he ever attended St Ann's ... eh?
As you know, even after St Anne's moved to Briarwood and became Archbishop Molloy - they remained the Stanners. When Chaminade played them in 1963-4, their star was Rudy Bogad who went on to St John's. I think that we finished second to them in the Bklyn-L.I. division. Our star player was Jim Kissane who played for Cousy at Boston College and later had a couple of games in a Knicks uniform.

Reaction Score
As you know, even after St Anne's moved to Briarwood and became Archbishop Molloy - they remained the Stanners. When Chaminade played them in 1963-4, their star was Rudy Bogad who went on to St John's. I think that we finished second to them in the Bklyn-L.I. division. Our star player was Jim Kissane who played for Cousy at Boston College and later had a couple of games in a Knicks uniform.
Did you know my friend, Billie Lawrence, who starred for the Stanners, early 60s .. Konchalski idolized him, put him on several all-time All-City teams

Reaction Score
Did you know my friend, Billie Lawrence, who starred for the Stanners, early 60s .. Konchalski idolized him, put him on several all-time All-City teams
I didn't know him but he was a great h.s. player. I remember seeing his photo in basketball mags that listed the best high schoolers in the country. I guess he followed that York Larese, Doug Moe connection to North Carolina. Did he stay there or did he end up coming back to St. John's?

Reaction Score
I didn't know him but he was a great h.s. player. I remember seeing his photo in basketball mags that listed the best high schoolers in the country. I guess he followed that York Larese, Doug Moe connection to North Carolina. Did he stay there or did he end up coming back to St. John's?
Billy finished up at St John's :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom