RIP Stanley Robinson | Page 11 | The Boneyard

RIP Stanley Robinson

Reaction Score
It’s really weird, whenever I saw old highlights of Sticks online I would think “I hope he’s doing ok”. Or when I would see he was back playing in the Calhoun charity game it always made me happy to see he was still around. I don’t really have the same reaction to most of the other guys - fond memories sure, but I didn’t find myself wondering how they were doing.

It’s really hard to put my finger on it but there was just something about him. He felt like “my guy” that I was always pulling for. I just wanted him to turn that next corner. It seems a lot of us felt this way about Sticks.

Reading this thread, the articles that are coming out, old stories - we really lost a good soul. This is tough.

Totally agree that he had that "something" that made you really like him as a player and as a person. I'm from the Toby and Wes era and "knew" Wes enough to nod to each other or maybe say "hi" when our paths crossed, and their deaths affected me, but not as much as Stanley's. His really hit me.

Reaction Score
Terrible. A great husky, and a great man.

Let's not jump to conclusions about cause of death. The Alabama coroner hasn't ruled on it and said there was no evidence of foul play or trauma

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Brutal. Screw 2020.

Watching him dunk live was an incredible experience.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned the players possibly wearing a patch so I put one together for idea's sake. View attachment 56853
How about turning the number one into a silhouette of the one-handed dunk against Texas mentioned by Chin Diesel?
[/QUOTE]

Thought about it, but was worried it might look too much like a Air-Jordan branding style silhouette on a player jersey. Maybe that would be more appropriate for something else that could go to charity (hat, t-shirt, etc)

Reaction Score
(From the Courant)

“He was certainly one of the great athletes I’ve coached,” Calhoun said. “He just could never get the break he needed.”

“He was just a really, really sweet kid. The world was harsh for him, because they weren’t all like Stanley Robinson. He was such a caring, giving person.”

“I spoke with him on Monday,” Calhoun said, “I don’t think there’s been a three or four week period where I haven’t talked to him since he left UConn. At St. Joe’s, the kids are always asking, ‘how’s Sticks?’ ... Despite all the tough breaks, he always had a smile on his face.”
- - -

(From Jacobs' column)

Jim Calhoun had called to wish Stanley Robinson a happy birthday on July 14 and the two talked again Monday afternoon. Calhoun was helping his former UConn star line up a job in Connecticut.

“I got a call this morning,” he said softly. “Sticks had the job. I had to tell the owner of the company he wouldn’t be coming in.”
- - -

Ugh. Gut punch.

5BZH5N4IQFDF7GLT42XY7WNSXE.jpg

Reaction Score
Huh? He did stay for his Senior year in 2009-2010. What are you talking about?
I was a victim of fake news. I read about half a dozen articles that said, "Robertson left UCONN for the NBA after the 2009 season." I read that as left early. Strsnge way to word it. I also read an article that referred to him as an Orlando Magic great. I'm guessing they meant Stanley Roberts.

Reaction Score
(From the Courant)

“He was certainly one of the great athletes I’ve coached,” Calhoun said. “He just could never get the break he needed.”

“He was just a really, really sweet kid. The world was harsh for him, because they weren’t all like Stanley Robinson. He was such a caring, giving person.”

“I spoke with him on Monday,” Calhoun said, “I don’t think there’s been a three or four week period where I haven’t talked to him since he left UConn. At St. Joe’s, the kids are always asking, ‘how’s Sticks?’ ... Despite all the tough breaks, he always had a smile on his face.”
- - -

(From Jacobs' column)

Jim Calhoun had called to wish Stanley Robinson a happy birthday on July 14 and the two talked again Monday afternoon. Calhoun was helping his former UConn star line up a job in Connecticut.

“I got a call this morning,” he said softly. “Sticks had the job. I had to tell the owner of the company he wouldn’t be coming in.”
- - -

Ugh. Gut punch.

View attachment 56859
Wow. That last quote invoked some serious emotions. RIH Sticks

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I just watched the tribute video on Yahoo. Sticks must've had the most dunks of any Husky and he did it in only three years. Hindsight is 20/20, but I wonder if things would have been different for him as a pro had he stayed his senior year. His game was definitely NBA friendly.

Maybe. But from the article earlier ITT, he was just snake bit when it came to luck. To think that a guy with his measurables and his skillset never played a single NBA game? that's crazy

He was waived the last day of 2010 training camp.

“The next year, he’s in the D League averaging a ton a game, tore his (left) Achilles,” Calhoun said.
There was a staph infection. There was an NBA lockout in 2011. There was a torn right Achilles. He bounced from Canada to Dominican Republic to Iceland and Chile and places in between. The countries mounted but the number of NBA games remained at zero.

“I remember he had a great tournament one year and he got stuck somewhere for 10 days,” Calhoun said. “All the things that could possibly happen to Stanley happened. If we hadn’t talked in three-four weeks, I’d call him to make sure he was OK. He’d play overseas, make limited money, spend it on his family, his mother, his three daughters. It would be all gone and he was looking for the next place. It was difficult. ‘Sticks, you got to make a statement here.’ ”

Reaction Score
This puts the pain of every other UConn loss in perspective. I broke down when I found it. RIP Sticks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like all these ideas with patches and the Sticks trophy.

We should have a recording of his patented yell every time we dunk at home.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To go with everything else about Sticks......

If he is ever made the NBA and was a 10 year player who averaged 10 and 6, it wouldn't be the least bit surprising. Physically and athletically he was never overmatched. He just looked so natural competing alongside high level players.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see a patch showing him the way I'll remember him - in midair with his head near the rim catching a lob.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom