RIP Ric Ocasek | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RIP Ric Ocasek

Reaction Score
Boston radio people were ranking top bands from Boston this morning.

#1 Aerosmith

But they were making strong cases for Cars at #2.

Boston at #3.

#4 New Kids.

And someone added Dropkick Murphys at #5.

The amazing thing is that these people had forgotten the J. Geils Band and New Edition, but even more amazing they probably never heard of the Pixies, Mission of Burma, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Modern Lovers, Lemonheads, Belly, the Breeders, Throwing Muses, Til Tuesday, Gang Green. Hell, I'd even put Extreme ahead of Dropkick Murphys.

Reaction Score
Interesting that they forgot to J Geils, Barry & Remains. Boston / Geils / Remains played Fenway together a few years back, ad Remains arguably stole show. Not to mention older Beacon St. Union, Ultimate Spinach, and even Barbarians.

Reaction Score
The band Boston is an example of why Pixies, Breeders and Gang Green et. al. happened. I liked Lemonheads and Dando but he got on junk and they were never the same. Sort of 2nd generation power pop.

Reaction Score
Produced the Blue album (and Green) by Weezer. Great, great stuff
And produced Suicide's 2nd album. Probably his most impressive accomplishment considering the style of that band.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The amazing thing is that these people had forgotten the J. Geils Band and New Edition, but even more amazing they probably never heard of the Pixies, Mission of Burma, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Modern Lovers, Lemonheads, Belly, the Breeders, Throwing Muses, Til Tuesday, Gang Green. Hell, I'd even put Extreme ahead of Dropkick Murphys.
Interesting that they forgot to J Geils, Barry & Remains. Boston / Geils / Remains played Fenway together a few years back, ad Remains arguably stole show. Not to mention older Beacon St. Union, Ultimate Spinach, and even Barbarians.

What, you guys are too cool for Guster? And no mention of Shaboo regulars The Pousette-Dart Band?!

I saw a list of Boston bands on Ranker and this group was at #18. I'd never heard of them (likely for obvious reasons). But I had to give a quick listen. The titles on the album tracks look like they were written by Cesspoolers. And no track longer than a minute thirty. I didn't see who produced it, but I'm wondering how that producer got to any point and said, "That's perfect. Lay it down and run with that."

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Probably his second most impressive accomplishment
fify

ce1d8387504fd6369bae4131c42bfb22.jpg

Reaction Score

>>The Cars frontman Ric Ocasek died naturally of heart disease, the city Medical Examiner’s Office said Monday.

The iconic new-wave rock star, 75, was found unconscious inside his Gramercy Park pad around 4:14 p.m. Sunday by his estranged wife, supermodel Paulina Porizkova.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

It’s unclear how long Ocasek, born Otcasek, had been suffering from heart disease. Pulmonary emphysema, a type of lung disease, contributed to his death, the ME’s office said.<<

Reaction Score
What, you guys are too cool for Guster? And no mention of Shaboo regulars The Pousette-Dart Band?!

I saw a list of Boston bands on Ranker and this group was at #18. I'd never heard of them (likely for obvious reasons). But I had to give a quick listen. The titles on the album tracks look like they were written by Cesspoolers. And no track longer than a minute thirty. I didn't see who produced it, but I'm wondering how that producer got to any point and said, "That's perfect. Lay it down and run with that."
I thought I had heard it all at The Dungeon in New Orleans around 2 AM. I do not think they they would touch that. Wow.

And let us not forget authors of one of the great garage rock songs ever:The Standells with Dirty Water. I don't think that one made the great opening rift threads. Should have.

Oddly, the Cars' biggest hit, Drive, was sung by Ben Orr.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Makes sense a white power group from Boston would be ranked top 20. Thought they would be higher though.

Reaction Score
2 acts that I saw at the Yale Bowl are RIP in the space of a couple days. Eddie Money and now Ric. Cars were fun and quite innovative. First produced by Roy Thomas Baker then of Queen fame.

IIRC the weather for that concert was really hot. Shocking I know for mid July but the tunnels were a huge relief. With no lights the concert was started in early afternoon.. I may have left early.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Oddly, the Cars' biggest hit, Drive, was sung by Ben Orr.
Drive, Let's Go, Moving In Stereo & Just What I Needed were all Orr.

I always thought it was remarkable that Ocasek wrote all their songs but gave some of the very best to his band-mate. RIP

Reaction Score

#1 Aerosmith

But they were making strong cases for Cars at #2.

Boston at #3.

#4 New Kids.

And someone added Dropkick Murphys at #5.

The Pixies are the best from Boston imo. Their albums are great and they are even better live.

Reaction Score
Why did this get moved to the pool? It should be in entertainment.

Reaction Score
Makes sense a white power group from Boston would be ranked top 20. Thought they would be higher though.
They were just trying too hard to be edgy.

Guster is good though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom