RIP Ric Ocasek | The Boneyard

RIP Ric Ocasek

Reaction Score
2 acts that I saw at the Yale Bowl are RIP in the space of a couple days. Eddie Money and now Ric. Cars were fun and quite innovative. First produced by Roy Thomas Baker then of Queen fame.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
2 acts that I saw at the Yale Bowl are RIP in the space of a couple days. Eddie Money and now Ric. Cars were fun and quite innovative. First produced by Roy Thomas Baker then of Queen fame.

Reaction Score
Was driving back from UConn in 1988 and heard an ad on radio that there were a few tickets left to see The Cars at the Springfield CC. Stopped and got a ticket for $20. Really good show. Ben Orr and Ric can play together again. RIP

Reaction Score

Used to listen to this album from time to time while working graveyard making home made doughnuts between the ages of 17-19 at one of my first jobs. When I was on the fryer I would drum along to this album (and many other albums) with the wooden sticks used to flip the doughnuts too. Wow, 16 to 18 years ago. Fantastic album.

RIP

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saw the Cars at the New Haven Coliseum in the mid 1980s. I believe Wang Chung opened for them.

Saw Eddie Money 2 years ago at a U. Buffalo football tailgate playing for alums. About 12 people were listening to him play on a stage in back of the main tent. Pretty sad.

Reaction Score
named our intramural soccer team at UConn "the Cars". We tried to drive separate cars and arrive with a Cars tape playing to our games and ring the old moon field behind the field house.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Cars were a nice alternative to all the overblown pompous crap on radio in the latter half of the 70s.

And that was the theme of a spec review the editor of the Daily Campus asked me to write when I applied to the job opening of music reviewer. The reply I got was basically right out of Billy Madison. Obviously the editor was a Rush fan.

Outside of The Cars, Ocasek was a solid producer. While he's probably best known for his work with Weezer, the one album he produced for Black 47 (Fire of Freedom) was, IMO, his best work.

RIP Ric.

Reaction Score
Oh good, now I don't have to look for this ad, though it getd me wondering if Dave Mason is next.
I was listening to so much better music in New Haven at Oxford Ale House, or was it Great American Saloon by then?

Ahhh, good days before they morphed.

Oxford Ale House > Great American Saloon

Arcadia Ballroom (Brawlroom) > Great American Music Hall

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Was never a huge fan of the Cars, but I did like them. And they were certainly a key band growing up.

What's sad to me is how the entire rock and roll era will soon be gone. We are losing so many, so quickly. Eddie Money and Rick Ocasek in one week.

Reaction Score
I met several very famous people in person while in CT/NY. Some of them were more famous than Rick Ocasek. However, one day while roaming around NYC in the 1999-2001 period, my gf at the time and I stopped into a clothing store just as they were hustling people out. They were clearing the store so Rick and Paulina could shop in peace with their newborn in tow. Apparently, everyone wanted to see Paulina after the baby, presumably so they could judge her body and either pick on her for being fat or worship her for looking like she’d never been pregnant.

Anyway, Rick Ocasek, despite being pale, skinny and unconventional looking, had an incredible aura. The energy coming off the guy took me back. I was not a Cars fan, I just liked a couple songs so I wasn’t very excited to see him. Then I saw him and I immediately understood why he was so famous and successful. He had a huge presence. It was really striking.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom