RIP Rafer Johnson | The Boneyard

RIP Rafer Johnson

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The 1960 Olympic Decathlon between Rafer Johnson and C.K. Yang was the most competitive in the history of the Olympics. Going into the last event, the 1500 meters, Johnson had a small lead. But the 1500 was one of Yang’s best events.

If Johnson lost by more than 10 seconds, Yang would win the gold medal. Johnson hung onto Yang like grim death, ultimately losing the 1500 by 2 seconds, but winning the decathlon by 58 pts.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The 1960 Olympic Decathlon between Rafer Johnson and C.K. Yang was the most competitive in the history of the Olympics. Going into the last event, the 1500 meters, Johnson had a small lead. But the 1500 was one of Yang’s best events.

If Johnson lost by more than 10 seconds, Yang would win the gold medal. Johnson hung onto Yang like grim death, ultimately losing the 1500 by 2 seconds, but winning the decathlon by 58 pts.
That summer games was remarkable. Wilma Rudolph was 20 and Cassius Clay was 18 ! And the Ethiopian running barefoot! I was 9 years old and totally engaged!

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Kinda young to be engaged;) I was in hs.Rafer and Wilma were big deals. Cassius Clay was just becoming a sensation.
We were members of a very progressive cult of Iron City drinkers who encouraged juvenalia in its most prepubescent flowering. And Steeler fans which was a downright difficult task in the early sixties. A tough life, but a rewarding one in the end. BTW, it was just a May to December romance which ended amicably.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I recall being at Yankee Stadium for the Yankee's game when Bob Sheppard announced that American Rafer Johnson had won the Gold Medal. I only vaguely knew who Rafer was at that time, but I knew he was an American and the decathlon was a grueling event. Rafer's win got a huge ovation. RIP to a great athlete and competitor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I recall being at Yankee Stadium for the Yankee's game when Bob Sheppard announced that American Rafer Johnson had won the Gold Medal. I only vaguely knew who Rafer was at that time, but I knew he was an American and the decathlon was a grueling event. Rafer's win got a huge ovation. RIP to a great athlete and competitor.
Speaking of the 1960 NY Yankees, I was a huge Yankee fan growing up and was big into baseball cards. For many years, whenever I would get a Bill Mazeroskl card, I would look to trade it. Maz was a great player, but after he broke my young heart in Game 7 of the 1960 WS, I couldn’t even look at him.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Speaking of the 1960 NY Yankees, I was a huge Yankee fan growing up and was big into baseball cards. For many years, whenever I would get a Bill Mazeroskl card, I would look to trade it. Maz was a great player, but after he broke my young heart in Game 7 of the 1960 WS, I couldn’t even look at him.
I bet that is true, but he sure had a lot of fans in Pittsburgh. That world series was a grueling affair, and Maz put the tin hat on it!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I did not realize his win was so heroic. Thanks for the knowledge.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I did not realize his win was so heroic. Thanks for the knowledge.
Some additional information. While Yang was from Taiwan, Johnson and Yang both attended UCLA, trained together under the same coach and were the best of friends. At the end of the 1500 meter race, Johnson, who was exhausted, partly hugged and partly collapsed on Yang. It is one of the more memorable scenes in Olympic history.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom