OT: - RIP Phil Spector | The Boneyard

OT: RIP Phil Spector

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Musical genius, influencer ,inspiration to many musicians, andmore than slightly wacky guy and convicted murderer Phil Spector died at 81. His "Wall of Sound" productions changed the musical world forever. While he had little peace in life, may he now rest in peace for eternity.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Didn't he murder someone?
I do not know, but as I said he was convicted of murder so he probably did it as he did not lack for legal aid during trial.

Reaction Score
Didn't he murder someone?
He “playfully” stuck a gun in a young lady’s mouth and pulled the trigger. P.S. - his “Be my baby” by his future wife Ronnie Bennett and the Ronnettes is quite possibly the greatest record of all time, an early wall-of-sound, girl-group masterpiece !!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Was it the murder or the music? @JordyG has excellent taste in all things musical so I had to ask. ;)
Not the music. For years, if you were in the industry, you heard the horror stories about that guy. He was a nasty, abusive, violent, arrogant control and gun freak. No one wanted to work with him nonetheless be around him. He kept his wife Ronnie Spector a literal prisoner in their house for 6 years until she finally crept out in the dead of night after fearing for her life. In 2003 what started as a mutual sex hook up turned deadly because of his jealous, violent nature. As with OJ Simpson, a great producer in his field and an utter complete failure as a human being.

As a terrible aside, this creep would have been eligible for parole in 2024.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Not the music. For years, if you were in the industry, you heard the horror stories about that guy. He was a nasty, abusive, violent, arrogant control and gun freak. No one wanted to work with him nonetheless be around him. He kept his wife Ronnie Spector a literal prisoner in their house for 6 years until she finally crept out in the dead of night after fearing for her life. In 2003 what started as a mutual sex hook up turned deadly because of his jealous, violent nature. As with OJ Simpson, a great producer in his field and an utter complete failure as a human being.

As a terrible aside, this creep would have been eligible for parole in 2024.
He was a terrible human being and because of his status allowed to abuse for far too long. The murder charge was almost a logical progression.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Ronnie and her second husband live in the Danbury, CT area and have for several years.

Reaction Score
Very tormented soul, and as Jordy detailed, much of the time a disgusting and bad person. He was a cutting edge musical wizard, working with everyone from the Ronettes to the Beatles.

Reaction Score
Angry dangerous man, but no question a musical genius. Layered "wall of sound" was amazing... Springsteen said all he wanted to do was write like Bob Dylan and sound like Phil Spector.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
He was well on both sides of that thin line between genius and insanity. Speaking for myself, gotta love him, gotta hate him.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
He “playfully” stuck a gun in a young lady’s mouth and pulled the trigger. P.S. - his “Be my baby” by his future wife Ronnie Bennett and the Ronnettes is quite possibly the greatest record of all time, an early wall-of-sound, girl-group masterpiece !!
Possibly the greatest record of all time? No, No! However, if that is your opinion, so be it. Is it even in the top twenty. Spector brought a new sound that caught on big. That song was built on the same foundation (chords) as many Drifters songs and countless other songs from that era that were just as popular.

Reaction Score
Musical genius, influencer ,inspiration to many musicians, andmore than slightly wacky guy and convicted murderer Phil Spector died at 81. His "Wall of Sound" productions changed the musical world forever. While he had little peace in life, may he now rest in peace for eternity.
I wonder how those who knew him or were hurt by him feel about him resting in peace?

Reaction Score
He ruined the "Let It Be" album - Produced by George Martin, Overproduced by Phil Spector.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I wonder how those who knew him or were hurt by him feel about him resting in peace?
I do not know, probably many. Fortunately I am not among them. But I find it morbid to curse the dead.

Reaction Score
Phil Spector married Ronnie Bennett, lead singer of the fabulous Ronnettes ["Be My Baby"] The Ronnettes trio included Ronnie's sister Estelle and her cousin Nedra. (Can you tell from the photo who her look-a-like beehive sister is? :). The Ronettes have a unique sound which I love. Two of their tunes - "Frosty the Snowman" & "Sleigh Ride" are high on my Christmas list, which I play annually throughout December, eh?

Attachments

• Ronettes-Estelle-Bennett-Veronica-Nedra-Talley-1965.jpg
    Ronettes-Estelle-Bennett-Veronica-Nedra-Talley-1965.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 79

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Phil Spector married Ronnie Bennett, lead singer of the fabulous Ronnettes ["Be My Baby"] The Ronnettes trio included Ronnie's sister Estelle and her cousin Nedra. (Can you tell from the photo who her look-a-like beehive sister is? :). The Ronettes have a unique sound which I love. Two of their tunes - "Frosty the Snowman" & "Sleigh Ride" are high on my Christmas list, which I play annually throughout December, eh?
My wife is a big fan of many groups from that time period, but the Ronettes are near the top of her list. She would be perfectly content to listen to Motown style Christmas songs for the entire season. "I Can Hear Music"...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom