RIP: Pete Seeger | The Boneyard

RIP: Pete Seeger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The dean of the American folk music and civil rights activist Pete Seeger died at the age of 94.

Blessings to Pete's family and all those who've sung a song or two with his spirit. May he join the band with The Lord of the Dance.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
When I replied to your comment in the "Bill Walton" thread, I thought you were just speaking hypothetically: did not know that Pete had actually died tonight. He was, and is, a remarkable representation of the progressive spirit in America.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A collection of Pete Seeger pieces across the years from YouTube.

Down by the Riverside. With Brownie McGhee

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A s a young teacher, I used to sing Weaver songs with my kids, sometimes doing a little rudimentary picking on a banjo.
When MLK died, we sang almost half the "Freedom" album at an assembly (all of us in tears).
His musical exploits in popularizing the folk genre are unique.
A musical giant has passed.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
At 93 in 2013. This Land is Your Land

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What Did You Learn in School Today

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Where Have All the Flowers Gone

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Finally but with endless possibilities.

Ode to Joy.

I still subscribe to Sing Out the Folk Music journal Seeger founded.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Can only echo those who have already spoken - a true giant has passed. But a most humble one.

RIP, Pete. Though good works may not be required to get into heaven, you sure piled them up just in case.

A true difference-maker! And a true American.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Few folks know that Pete was another Harvard drop out. It almost seems a better career path to drop out of Harvard than to finish. Right, Mr. Gates.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
In recent years he was still playing here on the Hudson in little concerts and tributes to his departed music and movement comrades. Always a breathtaking experience to see him and think about all of the history and tunes that lived in him.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I was on a choral group that provided back-up vocals for Seeger's CD called "Pete," which won a Grammy. Recording with him, and later performing with him, was such an uplifting experience.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Awesome, digger. I would have loved to be there.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I was on a choral group that provided back-up vocals for Seeger's CD called "Pete," which won a Grammy. Recording with him, and later performing with him, was such an uplifting experience.

Wow - great stuff. What treasured memories!

Reaction Score
Good Nite Irene, Thanks for the memories!
Those who live by their principals and love what they do more than what they get are
my heroes. We were blessed with singing along.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I went to college as a rock & roll fan. One of my apartment-mates had this double album called Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie together in concert. It sure wasn't rock & roll, but is was great. That introduced me to some great music and helped broaden my taste. Think I'll give that another listen this weekend.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Few folks know that Pete was another Harvard drop out. It almost seems a better career path to drop out of Harvard than to finish. Right, Mr. Gates.

I saw that (but didn't previously know it) in the fine write-up the New York Times had this morning, placed appropriately on the front page:

Pete Seeger article NY Times

SEEGER.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The Weavers at Carnegie Hall on vinyl was considered one of the all time great recordings by Harry Pearson's The Absolute Sound. It was recorded with simple x paired mic set. The sound stage was broad and deep with clear distinct placement of the performers on stage. I still have a mint copy in my collection. When I get home to PA tomorrow it will come out for listen.

It is available digital on iTunes and is good but not near the same.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The Weavers at Carnegie Hall on vinyl was considered one of the all time great recordings by Harry Pearson's The Absolute Sound. It was recorded with simple x paired mic set. The sound stage was broad and deep with clear distinct placement of the performers on stage. I still have a mint copy in my collection. When I get home to PA tomorrow it will come out for listen.

It is available digital on iTunes and is good but not near the same.

Had no idea that record was on HP's list....! The things I learn on the BY :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Had no idea that record was on HP's list....! The things I learn on the BY :)
I used to be a high end sound wanna be. Still have piles of TAS and Stereophile and had a subscription to Peter Moncreif's IAR before it died.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Super star group, for your enjoyment! ( BTW, sweet Judy Blue Eyes was at UConn in the early sixties, married to a UConn professor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom