RIP Paul Hornung | The Boneyard

RIP Paul Hornung

Reaction Score
So many from my youth are passing, it's almost like every other day now. A good Air Force friend last week, Tommy Heinsohn a few days ago. One of the challenges of getting older is upon me...and us. RIP Paul Hornung, you were indeed a great one.

Reaction Score
Ah man, it just keeps coming and coming. I followed the Packers very closely in the sixties after Vince Lombardi took over. Not sure how many players from his Packers teams made the Hall Of Fame but I think they had to add some space. I know a lot of younger fans probably have to ask who Paul Hornug was but to anyone who was a fan of either college or pro football in that era he was truly the "Golden Boy". Maybe there has at some time been a better running backs tandem than Hornung and Taylor but it escapes me right now. He as also one of the very few players in the history of the game who was a full fledged starter and full time kicker. RIP Paul Hornung.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ah man, it just keeps coming and coming. I followed the Packers very closely in the sixties after Vince Lombardi took over. Not sure how many players from his Packers teams made the Hall Of Fame but I think they had to add some space. I know a lot of younger fans probably have to ask who Paul Hornug was but to anyone who was a fan of either college or pro football in that era he was truly the "Golden Boy". Maybe there has at some time been a better running backs tandem than Hornung and Taylor but it escapes me right now. He as also one of the very few players in the history of the game who was a full fledged starter and full time kicker. RIP Paul Hornung.
In answer to your question, there are 11 Green Bay Packers from that era in The Pro Football HOF, plus HC Vince Lombardi. The players are as follows:

Paul Hornung - HB
Jim Taylor - FB
Bart Starr - QB
Jim Ringo - C
Jerry Kramer - OG
Forrest Gregg - OT
Willie Davis - DE
Henry Jordan - DT
Ray Nitschke - LB
Willie Wood - CB
Herb Adderly - S

Reaction Score
I got his autograph in 1963 in the New Orleans airport. I was just a kid. It was suffocatingly hot and he was loading golf clubs and some bags into a car trunk. My family was appalled at my audacity, but he immediately stopped what he was doing, signed, and could not have been more pleasant.

He was a great football player. His broadcast career proved he was charming, witty and insightful.

Always one of my faves, though I was neither an Irish fan nor a Packer fan.

R.I.P., Mr. Hornung.

Reaction Score
always wonder if Lombardi would have had the same success if the Giants had named him HC.....the Giants missed the playoffs from '64-'81.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wasn’t a N.D. fan and had mixed feelings on the Packers (because I was a Giants fan at the time), but I have to recognize that the Golden Boy was one of the most versatile players ever. He could run with the ball, catch the ball, and kick PATs and FGs. No one else has done that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom