RIP Norm MacDonald, SNL star | The Boneyard

RIP Norm MacDonald, SNL star

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Oh, geez, that's awful to hear. SNL went through some clunker years, and I always found him to be a bright spot.

Reaction Score
Prayers for Norm’s family and loved ones. He made a lot of people laugh.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
One of the most naturally funny of all modern comedians, and one of my favorites of those who saw life from a different angle. A sad day for we fans, and a sad day for fans of unfiltered comedy. RIP Norm. The world hardly knew you.

Reaction Score
just out of college I shared a tiny office in the old Brill Building in NYC and Norm was a frequent visitor down the hall where Lorne Michaels and some of his staff had additional office space.........one of the funniest and nicest guys I've ever met who actually enjoyed hanging out with us nobodies............very sad news indeed........

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
In early 1998, Don Ohlmeyer, president of NBC’s West Coast division, had Macdonald removed as “Weekend Update” anchor, citing a decline in ratings and a drop-off in quality. Macdonald was replaced by Colin Quinn at the “Weekend Update” desk beginning on the January 10, 1998 episode.

Macdonald and others believed that the true reason for his dismissal was his series of O. J. Simpson jokes during and after the trial, frequently calling him a murderer; Ohlmeyer was a good friend of Simpson and supported him during the proceedings.[18] After being removed from the role, Macdonald went on CBS’s Late Show with David Letterman and Howard Stern’s syndicated radio show. In both appearances, he accused Ohlmeyer of firing him for making jokes about Simpson.

The jokes were written primarily by Macdonald and longtime SNL writer Jim Downey, who was fired from SNL at the same time. Downey pointed out in an interview that Ohlmeyer threw a party for the jurors who acquitted Simpson.

Judge for yourself:

Reaction Score
Not a saint. Dude said lots of offensive things both in interviews and in his act.

Reaction Score
I remember when he did voice acting for a genie on "The Fairly Odd Parents" that my kids enjoyed.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
He said a bad comedians say things to make people clap, not laugh.

He went for the laughs. He sure got them.

And unfortunately audiences are doing a lot of clapping these days.

In a world where people tweet or post about nothing, he silently fought cancer for nine years.

RIP, Norm.

Reaction Score
Good timing with this post. Stop being so thin skinned.
You’re the one getting your knickers twisted.

he made a bunch of homophobic and misogynistic statements, but sure he’s a great guy

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
You’re the one getting your knickers twisted.

he made a bunch of homophobic and misogynistic statements, but sure he’s a great guy
Speaking of twisted knickers

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score

I think you've hit on something here. Let's remember everyone when they die by their worst moments and sweep all the great ones under the rug. Let's sum up Norm Macdonald's brilliant career as one where he was a misogynistic homophobe. That tells us all we need to know about him, right? There's a million hours of video on him on the internet. I see a brilliant comedian who is also a good guy that may have told a few off color jokes that were, HILARIOUS!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Not a saint. Dude said lots of offensive things both in interviews and in his act.
I will not argue that point. But comedians often say outrageous things that offend some people. And I would venture to say that not many saints are funny. Elizabeth Taylor once opined ," The problem with people who have no vices is that generally they are going to have some pretty annoying virtues." I thought Norm was a flawed, funny guy who worked very hard to entertain people.

Reaction Score
The producers of SNL fired him for ostensibly not being funny. A year and a half later he was back hosting the show. He opened the show absolutely skewering the SNL big shots

And that’s how you do it... RIP

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom