RIP. Lloyd Hinchey | The Boneyard

RIP. Lloyd Hinchey

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A name some will know. I just learned that Lloyd Hinchey passed away last week. In the early 1960s he was one of the best hs basketball players in the state at Norwich Free Academy. He was a fabulous shooter, first team all state I think more than once. He played college ball at Holy Cross when they were nationally relevant and unfortunately had a serious knee injury as a soph which likely ruined his NBA potential although he still managed to average double figures as a senior.

I got to know him a little at UConn Law where I once had the dreadful experience of trying to guard him for 5 minutes in our law school hoops league. I got to know him better during his law practice years. A truly nice guy and as the world is small. his aunt in law was my secretary for several years. RIP.

Reaction Score
A name some will know. I just learned that Lloyd Hinchey passed away last week. In the early 1960s he was one of the best hs basketball players in the state at Norwich Free Academy. He was a fabulous shooter, first team all state I think more than once. He played college ball at Holy Cross when they were nationally relevant and unfortunately had a serious knee injury as a soph which likely ruined his NBA potential although he still managed to average double figures as a senior.

I got to know him a little at UConn Law where I once had the dreadful experience of trying to guard him for 5 minutes in our law school hoops league. I got to know him better during his law practice years. A truly nice guy and as the world is small. his aunt in law was my secretary for several years. RIP.

Great description, he was virtually unstoppable before his injury, also played a couple of pick-up games with him in Hartford, still could shoot the eyes out of the basket, nice guy.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I met Lloyd playing when we a charity basketball team. great great guy and a lot of fun to be around.

Reaction Score
I remember him well from HS . Register All State Teams
Unfortunately I never got to see him play as Norwich was the other side of the Universe or do it seemed when I was in HS. In fact i thought NFA was a private school until a kid on our Football team who transferred from their clued me in .

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
NFA was in the same conference as my hs. Weaver. He had a game against us in Hartford where he scored around 30 and missed one shot. Luckily for us, that missed shot came in the last minute and we won a 1 or 2 point game. A bunch of us took a road trip to NFA for a game. I don’t remember the game very wel, which means Weaver probably lost. Norwich was always good back then. Howie Dickenman’s father, also Howard, was their coach always wore a red bow tie.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Norwich and Lloyd was king during his era. Not only a great player. But so classy and respectful. I was told he went into the hospital for a foot infection and had a heart attack while there. So so sad

RIP Lloyd !!!!

Reaction Score
In the early 60's, maybe 1962 I went to game between NFA and East Hartford. NFA was 18-0 and EH was 1-17 if I remember correctly. EH won by one point (59-58 I believe). Place was packed and the crowd was nuts. I remember NFA had one player that was really good- probably Lloyd. Howie may have been on that team.

Reaction Score
NFA was in the same conference as my hs. Weaver. He had a game against us in Hartford where he scored around 30 and missed one shot. Luckily for us, that missed shot came in the last minute and we won a 1 or 2 point game. A bunch of us took a road trip to NFA for a game. I don’t remember the game very wel, which means Weaver probably lost. Norwich was always good back then. Howie Dickenman’s father, also Howard, was their coach always wore a red bow tie.
CDC was the conference. Had teams from Enfield to New London.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
CDC was the conference. Had teams from Enfield to New London.
Yup. Actually to Groton. Fitch was in the league by the time I hit hs. New Britain and HPHS dominated football. Weaver, HPHS, Bulkeleu and NFA dominated hoops when I was in school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom