RIP John Le Carre | The Boneyard

RIP John Le Carre

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The great writer, aka David John Moore Caldwell, Passed away on Saturday last. Nothing to do with basketball, an dI apologize. But he understood aging men such as so many of us Boneyarders. He created interesting stories, great characters, and clever names for years in his largely Cold war era spy novels. Who can forget his self-effacing George Smiley or the taciturn Oliver Lacon, or the flambouyant Toby Esterhase?

Reaction Score
I loved his Cold War settings - paricularly A Call For The Dead. His work dropped sharply, in my opinion, when the Wall fell. He didn't like America in the early works but expressed a clear loathing after the Cold War ended.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I heard part of a rebroadcast of an interview on Fresh Air yesterday. He lived the life and then wrote about it.

Interesting guy. Evidently his father was a piece of work. Sued him for not acknowledging him, I think in the preface of a book.

I'm so far behind in reading, it'll be forever before I get back to reread one of his books.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Sorry, it's "Cornwell," not "Caldwell"
Please don't be sorry. I screwed it up. Save the sorry for when you screw it up! ;)

Reaction Score
I have his Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Smiley's People videos. My son watched them with me when he was 16 and then again recently when he is 20. He appreciated them a lot more this time.
Two of the best mystery videos ever.

Reaction Score
I have his Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Smiley's People videos. My son watched them with me when he was 16 and then again recently when he is 20. He appreciated them a lot more this time.
Two of the best mystery videos ever.
Great book and movies!!! 2 versions of movies. Alex Guinness and Gary Oldman (names?) as Smiley!!!

Reaction Score
I love John Le Carre books and movies. The opposite and real spy agent to James Bond!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom