RIP Jerry West “The Logo” | The Boneyard

RIP Jerry West “The Logo”

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
RIP Mr. Logo.

While I'm old enough to have seen the end of his playing career, the only images that come to mind right now are of Jason Clarke's performance in "Winning Time", which I understand Jerry did not like all that much.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Lakers latest buffoonery did him in.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Based on what, other than Jerry's own comments and feedback?
I'll begin with the premise in the show (or whatever you want to call it) that he didn't want to draft Magic Johnson and when he realized Buss was going to do regardless of West's input, wanted to use him as a rebounding power forward. I still remember everything leading up to that draft and vividly remember West stating that Magic could and would play point guard, in spite of what basically every so called export was saying at the time.

I'll add that with the exception of Jeannie Buss (who was portrayed as some business/promotion savant as a freshman in college), every major character in the series was basically a caricature of their rumored worst traits.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
RIP JW

He was a scorer before it was fashionable
Maybe DH's decision pushed him over the edge???:eek:

Reaction Score
Nobody, I mean nobody in the NBA today...could shoot as well as Jerry in his prime.

Reaction Score
I'll begin with the premise in the show (or whatever you want to call it) that he didn't want to draft Magic Johnson and when he realized Buss was going to do regardless of West's input, wanted to use him as a rebounding power forward. I still remember everything leading up to that draft and vividly remember West stating that Magic could and would play point guard, in spite of what basically every so called export was saying at the time.

I'll add that with the exception of Jeannie Buss (who was portrayed as some business/promotion savant as a freshman in college), every major character in the series was basically a caricature of their rumored worst traits.
I guess I wasn't looking at his draft decisions being misrepresented. I was referring more to him throwing the trophy and losing his temper all the time. I'm sure there was some poetic license there, but I also feel like there was probably some truth there as well and not "seriously misrepresented".

Any biopic role gives a super condensed view because of time limitations. Jordan Belfort said that the party scenes in Wolf of Wall Street were a combination of lots of parties. They did all that stuff...but it was a lot of different people over lots of different parties and the movie consolidated it to a handful of the main actors and a couple big parties.

Reaction Score
Nobody, I mean nobody in the NBA today...could shoot as well as Jerry in his prime.
I was at the 1970 Knicks-Lakers home games at MSG What a shooter is right. Such a quick release and tight coverage, man hanging on him didn’t bother him.

Reaction Score
Anyone who saw his game tying heave to send the game into overtime against the Knicks will never forget it. One of those WOW moments in NBA history.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I guess I wasn't looking at his draft decisions being misrepresented. I was referring more to him throwing the trophy and losing his temper all the time. I'm sure there was some poetic license there, but I also feel like there was probably some truth there as well and not "seriously misrepresented".

Any biopic role gives a super condensed view because of time limitations. Jordan Belfort said that the party scenes in Wolf of Wall Street were a combination of lots of parties. They did all that stuff...but it was a lot of different people over lots of different parties and the movie consolidated it to a handful of the main actors and a couple big parties.
What he took most exception to (and I saw as the most egregious part) was portraying him as brooding in a miserable existence, unable to draw any joy from anything. That is the caricature of him (with Dr Jerry Buss it was his displaying his womanizing as so compulsive that he couldn't control himself) that was exaggerated to the point where it had little basis in reality.

Yes, he wasn't happy about all of the near misses (mostly to the Celtics) in pursuit of a title. Any competitor would respond in a similar way. I do remember a few stray appearances on TV some fifty years ago where he displayed a very good sense of humor. He wasn't going around mumbling F me, F my life as the show claimed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kareem said West was done wrong by the show. That's good enough for me.

Reaction Score
What he took most exception to (and I saw as the most egregious part) was portraying him as brooding in a miserable existence, unable to draw any joy from anything. That is the caricature of him (with Dr Jerry Buss it was his displaying his womanizing as so compulsive that he couldn't control himself) that was exaggerated to the point where it had little basis in reality.

Yes, he wasn't happy about all of the near misses (mostly to the Celtics) in pursuit of a title. Any competitor would respond in a similar way. I do remember a few stray appearances on TV some fifty years ago where he displayed a very good sense of humor. He wasn't going around mumbling F me, F my life as the show claimed.
The problem is he openly admitted to battling depression for years. We have stories about im and somehow this never came out until the series which I watched a few minutes of and turned it off,

Reaction Score
In an era of basically no dunking or 3 point shot he was smooth, he and Oscar. They were the greats.No reason to take extremely long shots so they got closer and got creative. No dunks no 3’s.

Reaction Score
Very sad day tremendous player, GM. Great college player as well at WVU. When he left WVU the player that grabbed his #44 was Rod Thorn (yup that one). Heard some great stories from many friends of his on MadDog today.

RIP The Logo

Reaction Score
After Mr. Russell, you can argue Mr.West had the greatest NBA life/career of all-time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom