Rip holds forth on Thibodeau practices | The Boneyard

Rip holds forth on Thibodeau practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...thibodeau---practice-was-tough-181655127.html

Essentially, Thibodeau runs long, hard practices and doesn't protect his players from the long grind of the season (like, for example, Popovich does with the Spurs).

"When I played there, practice was tough," said Hamilton, who spent two seasons with the Bulls from 2011-13. "I never experienced anything like that until I actually got to Chicago. It's well-documented that practices are a little too long, they're a little too hard and things like that... So if you want Derrick [Rose] (healthy) for the whole year, you've got to protect him. You've got to protect his body. When you know it's game time, 'You know what? We're not going to play him 35, 40 minutes a game. It might be 20 minutes a game.'”

Reaction Score
Coaches are like bosses. Some expect OT without pay, others are lenient with days off and all.

I've had coaches who had long practices before game day, very stupid. I've had demanding coaches who expected you to play with broken bones. Doesn't make them a bad coach per se, just a coach you hope not to play for. But then again I hated practice more than Iverson.

Reaction Score
Coaches are like bosses. Some expect OT without pay, others are lenient with days off and all.

I've had coaches who had long practices before game day, very stupid. I've had demanding coaches who expected you to play with broken bones. Doesn't make them a bad coach per se, just a coach you hope not to play for. But then again I hated practice more than Iverson.

I'd say that it does make them bad coaches.

Reaction Score
I'd say that it does make them bad coaches.

Depends. Some players can handle it, some like me, can't. There have been many great coaches who had 'too' long and demanding practices.

For example, what's long to Rip may be short to say... Curry. Just because a UConn player complains about a certain coaching method doesn't make that coach a bad coach.

Not sure why you think that makes them bad coaches, I say wins/losses, player development and post season success are the barometers. I've never heard the length of practice used to determine a coach being bad in any sport.

Reaction Score
Depends. Some players can handle it, some like me, can't. There have been many great coaches who had 'too' long and demanding practices.

For example, what's long to Rip may be short to say... Curry. Just because a UConn player complains about a certain coaching method doesn't make that coach a bad coach.

Not sure why you think that makes them bad coaches, I say wins/losses, player development and post season success are the barometers. I've never heard the length of practice used to determine a coach being bad in any sport.
bad analogy...rip runs a 5:00 minute mile. He was a mile runner in high school. His paternal grandfather was a distance runner, and an uncle on his mother's side of the family ran in the Penn Relays.
rip is one of the most in shape athletes in the nba ..he runs as much as marathoners do when training on his off time. ..steph curry (not sure how he trains) seems to be a little pudgy if u will and always has problems with his ankles so i doubt he loves and has no issues with long practices..so bad analogy

Reaction Score
bad analogy...rip runs a 5:00 minute mile. He was a mile runner in high school. His paternal grandfather was a distance runner, and an uncle on his mother's side of the family ran in the Penn Relays.
rip is one of the most in shape athletes in the nba ..he runs as much as marathoners do when training on his off time. ..steph curry (not sure how he trains) seems to be a little pudgy if u will and always has problems with his ankles so i doubt he loves and has no issues with long practices..so bad analogy

Not insinuating that Rip isn't in good shape, but if you're arguing that being a distance runner means being in phenomenal shape, that's not always correct. Especially when it comes to sports that require multiple spurts of high intensity cardio. That takes a different kind of endurance.

Reaction Score

Smart One it was an opinion that Rip had. Seth was just a name like Rip. Maybe I should say player x and player o, to not hurt any UConn fan's feelings or for fans to feel the need to rush to defend a UConn player. Amazing how sensitive and protective posters are even when there was no attack on Rip.

Anyway, Rip said his practices were long, another player may not think the same, neither is wrong. I don't understand your point. Finally, my response was to a poster saying a coach that has long practices is a bad coach.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
The NBA season is a marathon not a sprint. You can wear down your players by pushing them too hard in practice, making them more likely to be injured during the course of the long, long season... that's why it can make you a bad coach, because you are not maximizing the performance of all your players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom