RIP Helen Reddy and Mac Davis | The Boneyard

RIP Helen Reddy and Mac Davis

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The famous 70s Australian singer and early feminine icon died yesterday. She was 78 years old. Also Mac Davis died too. He wrote and performed "Baby, Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me" and wrote for Elvis too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Problem is, that's a terrible song.

Reaction Score
Here's an interesting essay about "I Am Woman" as a #1 hit. "Angie Baby" and "Delta Dawn" were #1 as well but I don't like them as much.

I'm not crazy about the music of either but they weren't bad. An ex gf loved Helen Reddy.

I actually met Helen Reddy once back in the mid-80s. My roommate and I threw a big BBQ and had blues guitar player Tinsley Ellis and his band playing. About a mile away, the Pepsi heirs were throwing a big outdoor party too. Deputies were actually out on our little country road doing traffic control. During a break, she and some of her band members came down to our party to listen to Tinsley. She was a pretty pleasant and open woman for a "star."

Reaction Score
Helen has a great nature born voice. I think she and Karen Carpenter have the most beautiful voice in woman singers, the third one is Ann Murray.

I agree but for me it is Karen Carpenter, Anne Murray and Helen Reddy in that order.

Thankfully Anne is still going strong at 75!

Reaction Score
Another good song from Helen Reddy

I loved her version of "I Don't Know How To Love Him" which obviously comes from , Superstar .... as has been mentioned, she had a number of other really good songs, to boot ....

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Saw Davis at the Bushnell in Hartford where he played Will Rogers in a road show play. As I recall, he did a great job. My wife was a big shekel Reddy fan and I became one. RIP.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mac Davis did a great song called "Hooked On Music". He was also in a movie "North Dallas Forty" with Nick Nolte and did a very credible job.
I thought he was great in North Dallas Forty. His song is a cringe but I always liked "I Am Women". She wrote it and I think it still holds up.

Reaction Score
I agree but for me it is Karen Carpenter, Anne Murray and Helen Reddy in that order.

Thankfully Anne is still going strong at 75!

Anne Murray no longer sings or performs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom