RIP Great Alaska Shootout | The Boneyard

RIP Great Alaska Shootout

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Sadly, after almost 40 years, this is the last year of the Great Alaska Shootout. The article linked below gives a million reasons it's folding, but as you'd guess, it mostly comes down to $.

I have great memories of growing up, staying up late, and watching this tournament in Alaska every Thanksgiving. For whatever reason, I took comfort in the idea of this tournament happening what felt like half a world away -- it was the TV equivalent of listening to Mike Liut make saves on the transistor radio under my pillow. I'll miss it!

Competition, expense bring curtain down on Alaska Shootout

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
That sucks. I guess freezing in Alaska when you can be enjoying tropical sun is no longer appealing.

Reaction Score
Its probably been at least 6 or 7 years since this tournament had a decent field so this does not come as a surprise. Id rather go to the Bahamas, Maui, or Puerto Rico before I even think about going to Alaska and thats probably how most athletic departments feel.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Its probably been at least 6 or 7 years since this tournament had a decent field so this does not come as a surprise. Id rather go to the Bahamas, Maui, or Puerto Rico before I even think about going to Alaska and thats probably how most athletic departments feel.
Speaking of the Puerto Rico, they moved that tournament to Myrtle Beach. Awww shucks. The games that I saw the crowd was very thin . Imagine the producers of the tournament in PR? "We are sorry, but we must move the games to Myrtle Beach". I heard the airlines could not accommodate all the Golf Clubs at check in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom