RIP Gary Rossington | The Boneyard

RIP Gary Rossington

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Last remaining founding member of Skynyrd.

To each their own, for me, Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd is as good as it gets for a first studio album.

I Ain't The One
Tuesday's Gone
Gimme Three Steps
Simple Man
Things Goin' On
Mississippi Kid
Poison Whiskey
Free Bird

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Free Bird, an alltime favorite

Three Steps and Simple Man too

Damn, what all album

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Free Bird.

Slow dancing in a basement with Tina.

Good times.

Reaction Score
Free Bird was absolutely the anthem my senior year in high school. Great song and great album.

Reaction Score
Had the opportunity to see them twice in the last 5 years. They didn't disappoint. One of the few older bands that were still on top of their game. Freebird and Tuesday's Gone were great, Simple Man always brought tears to my eyes, esp when watching the video played with it.

Reaction Score
Incredible life…

-> Rossington cheated death more than once, Rolling Stone reported. He survived a car accident in 1976 in which he drove his Ford Torino into a tree, inspiring the band’s cautionary song “That Smell.” A year later, he emerged from the 1977 plane crash that killed singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines, and backing vocalist Cassie Gaines, with two broken arms, a broken leg, and a punctured stomach and liver.

In later years, Rossington underwent quintuple bypass surgery in 2003, suffered a heart attack in 2015, and had numerous subsequent heart surgeries, most recently leaving Lynyrd Skynyrd in July 2021 to recover from another procedure. <-

Reaction Score
If I remember right they had like 5 big time hits by the time they were in their early 20s.

Just incredible talents at such a young age before tragedy ripped them apart

Reaction Score
If I remember right they had like 5 big time hits by the time they were in their early 20s.

Just incredible talents at such a young age before tragedy ripped them apart
Still going strong - saw them 1.5 years ago. Donnie picked up nicely for his brother

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Last remaining founding member of Skynyrd.

To each their own, for me, Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd is as good as it gets for a first studio album.

I Ain't The One
Tuesday's Gone
Gimme Three Steps
Simple Man
Things Goin' On
Mississippi Kid
Poison Whiskey
Free Bird

That's a Greatest Hits album for most bands

Reaction Score
I was just talking about songwriting ability. Usually bands in their young days putout crap until they get some experience.
These guys were putting out all time classic rock songs.

Reaction Score
Total bummer. Got see them in HFD on their last farewell tour. Thankful for that.

Reaction Score
I forget if it was Ronnie or Gary, but Gimme Three Steps was written after one of them was in a bar and he started hitting on a chick in front of her boyfriend. Words were said, and the guy started reaching for a presumed gun and that’s when Ronnie/Gary started running out the door…..
One of my favorite Skynard songs.

Reaction Score
Total bummer. Got see them in HFD on their last farewell tour. Thankful for that.
I was there for that one and then the end of their final final tour (interrupted by covid) in 2021 down here in Delaware

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I forget if it was Ronnie or Gary, but Gimme Three Steps was written after one of them was in a bar and he started hitting on a chick in front of her boyfriend. Words were said, and the guy started reaching for a presumed gun and that’s when Ronnie/Gary started running out the door…..
One of my favorite Skynard songs.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My first concert was Skynyrd, Foreigner, and 38 special. Springfield Civic Center, 1977. General admission ticket was 6.50.
I had tickets for Skynyrd at MSG in late October 1977, the plane crash was roughly a week before that show.

Reaction Score
I had tickets for Skynyrd at MSG in late October 1977, the plane crash was roughly a week before that show.
They had a show scheduled at the New Haven Coliseum also.
Steve Gaines revitalized that band in that final year+ with his songwriting, guitar and lead/backup vocals. It would have been fun to see what they would have done next with that lineup.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
They had a show scheduled at the New Haven Coliseum also.
Steve Gaines revitalized that band in that final year+ with his songwriting, guitar and lead/backup vocals. It would have been fun to see what they would have done next with that lineup.
At that time (it was my senior year in HS) I really didn't know a lot about the band (did know Sweet Home Alabama from a few years earlier) but my older brother was a big fan and talked me into getting tickets with him.

The live version of Freebird (from One More From the Road, about a year before the plane crash) got some airplay to that point but really took off afterwards.

Sadly it wasn't until after the accident that I found out how truly great if a band they were.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom