RIP Eddie Van Halen | Page 3 | The Boneyard

RIP Eddie Van Halen

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Both Alex (is) and Eddie were accomplished pianists.

Wasn't Eddie's desire to play more keyboard stuff part of the reason for the breakup with Roth? DLR kept saying fans wanted Eddie wailing away on guitar not playing electronic keyboard.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Wasn't Eddie's desire to play more keyboard stuff part of the reason for the breakup with Roth? DLR kept saying fans wanted Eddie wailing away on guitar not playing electronic keyboard.
I think they also legitimately started to not be able to tolerate each other as well, but yeah. I think Van Halen wanted to play more piano and synth.

Reaction Score
Between my brother and I we wore out 1984 and 5150.

Saw them at the Centrum on the 5150 tour. It was my first concert. I don't remember the date because I was 9 years old and the set lists were pretty much the same for that leg. I do remember Hagar on the catwalk, the Jack Daniels' base, and all the solo sessions. Eddie played what would later be called 316, Spanish Fly, and Eruption.

It might be why I like the Hagar years just as much as the 1st Roth era.

One of these: Search for setlists: van halen | setlist.fm

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Greatest guitar player, innovator and inventor of all time, can’t even count how many times his style and ideas got ripped off!!! Long live the guy who is the THE KING OF 10 FINGERS AND 6 STRINGS

Reaction Score
The amount of amazing songs (and amazing covers of songs) that got released on 6 studio albums over a 7-year span from 1978-1984 is pretty mind-boggling, in retrospect.

Won't list them all, but easily 4+ hits/solid deep tracks on each album. Most bands are lucky to get 3-4 total over the course of an entire career.

RIP, Edward.

Reaction Score
Frpm WPLR" Chaz and AJs facebook page...

Were you at any of these shows?

Van Halen as Support

1978 - New Haven Coliseum - 10-Sep-78 - Van Halen opening for Black Sabbath

Van Halen Headliner

1979 - New Haven Coliseum - 12-Aug-79 - w/ Screams
1980 - New Haven Coliseum - 8-May-80 - w/ Rail
1980 - Hartford Civic Center - 24-Jul-80 - w/ Cats
1981 - New Haven Coliseum - 16-Jul-81 - w/ The Fools
1982 - New Haven Coliseum - 7-Oct-82 - w/ After the Fire
1984 - New Haven Coliseum - 24-Mar-84 - w/ Autograph
1984 - Hartford Civic Cetner - 29-Mar-84 - w/ Autograph
1986 - New Haven Coliseum - 26 & 27-August-86 - w/ Bachman Turner Overdrive * Recorded Live Without a Net Vide
1988 - Hartford Civic Center - 14-Oct-88 - w/ Private Life
1991 - Hartford Civic Center - 29-Oct-91 - w/ Alice in Chains
1993 - Thames River Music Center - 7-Jul-93 - w/ Vince Neil * Heavy Rain During Show
1995 - Meadows - 26-Aug-95 - w/ Our Lady Peace
1998 - Meadows - 29-Aug-98 - w/ Kenny Wayne Shepherd
2004 - Hartford Civic Center - 28-Jun-04 - w/ Silvertide
2007 - Mohegan Sun Arena - 5-Oct-07 - an evening with / no opener listed
2008 - Mohegan Sun Arena - 20-May-08 - an evening with / no opener listed
2012 - Mohegan Sun Arena - 3-Mar-12 - an evening with / no opener listed
2015 - Meadows - 11-Aug-15 - w/ Kenny Wayne Shepherd (Chaz and AJ Presents)

RIP New Haven Coliseum!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Went to the New Haven Coliseum to see Van Halen during the DLR years. Kind of drifted away from heavier metal by the time of the SH years, but always appreciated Eddie as a guitarist. I was devastated hearing Jump for the first time in late December 1983. I can recall heading up 91 for a new year’s ski trip to Vermont and not getting out of the car for lunch just I could hear the 1st airing of Jump, and hearing the keyboards was so disappointing.
You do know that Eddie played all the organ/keyboards on that tune and so many others. He wrote the music as well as 70% of all VH music.
He is so under appreciated for his music writing
I was at the May 1980 NHC show as well as an earlier one (1978?) in NYC on 14th Street
Earlier VH was the most freeform but with Sammy they didn't miss a beat (loved Montrose)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think they also legitimately started to not be able to tolerate each other as well, but yeah. I think Van Halen wanted to play more piano and synth.
DLR was one of the supreme s in rock and roll history right up there with Glenn Frey.
It had nothing to do with Eddie playing piano other than he was preset prickly then too.

Reaction Score
DLR was one of the supreme s in rock and roll history right up there with Glenn Frey.
It had nothing to do with Eddie playing piano other than he was preset prickly then too.
DLR rode the coattails of Eddie Van Halen. Listen to DLR's vocal tracks with no music. Not impressive.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
DLR rode the coattails of Eddie Van Halen. Listen to DLR's vocal tracks with no music. Not impressive.

You won't find a large audience claiming DLR was a great vocalist.
He was a great frontman and stage presence.

Reaction Score

Right. He'd do the jumps off the drum riser, karate kicks and such. He was the quintessential 80's rock star on stage and back stage.

They made Diver Down in 1982 and it was their shortest album with 5 covers out of 12 songs. A lot of people felt it was a lame effort to moneygrab on their popularity. They then took a longer time than they had to get 1984 done. Apparently Eddie was hyperfocused on getting it musically where he wanted it and I think that album clearly was what caused more rift.

DLR had a "Dave TV" weekend on MTV and came out with his "Just a Gigolo" and "California Girls" mini-LP and it disintegrated from there. They just wanted different things.

Reaction Score
From WPLR's Chaz and AJ's facebook page...

Were you at any of these shows?

Van Halen as Support

1978 - New Haven Coliseum - 10-Sep-78 - Van Halen opening for Black Sabbath

Van Halen Headliner

1979 - New Haven Coliseum - 12-Aug-79 - w/ Screams
1980 - New Haven Coliseum - 8-May-80 - w/ Rail
1980 - Hartford Civic Center - 24-Jul-80 - w/ Cats
1981 - New Haven Coliseum - 16-Jul-81 - w/ The Fools
1982 - New Haven Coliseum - 7-Oct-82 - w/ After the Fire
1984 - New Haven Coliseum - 24-Mar-84 - w/ Autograph
1984 - Hartford Civic Cetner - 29-Mar-84 - w/ Autograph
1986 - New Haven Coliseum - 26 & 27-August-86 - w/ Bachman Turner Overdrive * Recorded Live Without a Net Vide
1988 - Hartford Civic Center - 14-Oct-88 - w/ Private Life
1991 - Hartford Civic Center - 29-Oct-91 - w/ Alice in Chains
1993 - Thames River Music Center - 7-Jul-93 - w/ Vince Neil * Heavy Rain During Show
1995 - Meadows - 26-Aug-95 - w/ Our Lady Peace
1998 - Meadows - 29-Aug-98 - w/ Kenny Wayne Shepherd
2004 - Hartford Civic Center - 28-Jun-04 - w/ Silvertide
2007 - Mohegan Sun Arena - 5-Oct-07 - an evening with / no opener listed
2008 - Mohegan Sun Arena - 20-May-08 - an evening with / no opener listed
2012 - Mohegan Sun Arena - 3-Mar-12 - an evening with / no opener listed
2015 - Meadows - 11-Aug-15 - w/ Kenny Wayne Shepherd (Chaz and AJ Presents)

I was at the March 84 show in New Haven, my first concert!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Right. He'd do the jumps off the drum riser, karate kicks and such. He was the quintessential 80's rock star on stage and back stage.

They made Diver Down in 1982 and it was their shortest album with 5 covers out of 12 songs. A lot of people felt it was a lame effort to moneygrab on their popularity. They then took a longer time than they had to get 1984 done. Apparently Eddie was hyperfocused on getting it musically where he wanted it and I think that album clearly was what caused more rift.

DLR had a "Dave TV" weekend on MTV and came out with his "Just a Gigolo" and "California Girls" mini-LP and it disintegrated from there. They just wanted different things.
"1984 (the instrumental)" and "Jump" were already developed in time for Diver Down. Van Halen had also composed another synth arrangement, which Ted Templeman turned into the "Dancing in the Streets" cover. At the end of the day, both Templeman and DLR didn't want their guitar god playing anything but guitar.

There is another story where Templeman tried to replace DLR (rumored with Sammy Hagar, of all people) in 1977, but warmed up to him during the recording of Ain't talkin' 'bout Love. Interesting that they teamed up years later against Van Halen's musicianship.

It is rumored also that DLR was put off by Eddie marriage to Valerie Bertenelli, because it interfered with the band's party/booze all night image. Basically, Van Halen was maturing and wasn't going to compromise on 1984. Both "Dancing in the Streets" and 1984 seemed to contribute to the first break up.

Reaction Score
Eddie almost singlehandedly rescued rock from the throws of disco in the late 70s. His innovative squeals, roars, and pinched harmonics became icons in the language of rock and took creativity from the control room back to the stage. Eddie was a techie. He initially modified a Marshall amp with a variac voltage regulator, along with a variety of effects, to create his ‘brown’ sound. One knew it was his distinctive sound. His melodic riffs led not to what one might think what was sequentially coming next in a traditional sense, but with a fragment from the left field bleachers. Clearly the Stravinski of rock. I remember, at a gas station in the day with the radio playing Michael Jackson’s ‘Beat It’, the gas pumper knew it was Eddie’s solo. How many knew at the time that he was on the cut? You knew he would be really big! I had the fortune to chat w him several times, and found him informal and friendly. He became a legend. RIP

ps - pix file too large to add.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is another story where Templeman tried to replace DLR (rumored with Sammy Hagar, of all people) in 1977, but warmed up to him during the recording of Ain't talkin' 'bout Love. Interesting that they teamed up years later against Van Halen's musicianship.

Very interesting article in LA Magazine about Templeman discovering Van Halen and signing them to their record deal. Also touches on the topic of contemplating replacing David Lee Roth.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Years ago, Van Halen suggested that the "Brown Sound" referred to the drums.

Speaking of Alex...Sincere Ts & Ps to him as well. Setting aside the personal toll, Eddie contributed some to other artists. Alex Van Halen almost exclusively played with his brother.

Reaction Score
Eddie almost singlehandedly rescued rock from the throws of disco in the late 70s. His innovative squeals, roars, and pinched harmonics became icons in the language of rock and took creativity from the control room back to the stage. Eddie was a techie. He initially modified a Marshall amp with a variac voltage regulator, along with a variety of effects, to create his ‘brown’ sound. One knew it was his distinctive sound. His melodic riffs led not to what one might think what was sequentially coming next in a traditional sense, but with a fragment from the left field bleachers. Clearly the Stravinski of rock. I remember, at a gas station in the day with the radio playing Michael Jackson’s ‘Beat It’, the gas pumper knew it was Eddie’s solo. How many knew at the time that he was on the cut? You knew he would be really big! I had the fortune to chat w him several times, and found him informal and friendly. He became a legend. RIP

ps - pix file too large to add.

He supposedly would boil his guitar strings to get the “brown” sound.

And his hook from “Jamie’s Cryin” was on Tone Locs “Wild Thing” which was also another chart topping single he didn’t get a ton of credit for.

Husky25

Reaction Score
He supposedly would boil his guitar strings to get the “brown” sound.

And his hook from “Jamie’s Cryin” was on Tone Locs “Wild Thing” which was also another chart topping single he didn’t get a ton of credit for.

“I want my guitar to sound like Al’s snare…..Warm, big and majestic.”

He went on to describe his brother’s snare drum as having a sound that is “brown”. In Eddie’s mind, this was the perfect word to describe Alex Van Halen’s warm snare tone – (“I’ve always thought Alex’s snare drum sounds like he’s beating on a log” said Eddie).

Reaction Score
He was a great frontman and total weirdo, they got too pop old man rock with Hagar but Hagar's voice absolutely blows away Diamond Dave's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom