RIP Denny Crum | The Boneyard

RIP Denny Crum

Reaction Score
Loved Louisville in the late 70's and early 80's. Darrell Griffith, Rodney and Scooter McCray, Never Nervous Pervis, etc.

Those were fun teams to watch. Loved "Dr. Dukenstein" in 1980 and watching Louisville beat Duke in 1986. But that was before I developed my hatred for Duke.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
He was a class act. Too bad Pitino ruined the schools reputation. Not sure if anyone remembers the McCray brothers, they played for Crum. I dated their cousin for a few years and got to know Rodney fairly well. He was a really good guy. It was after his career we were both in our early 40’s but he never acted like he was entitled. He was a good guy and we always had good laughs. He always spoke highly of Crum and we would always talk UConn basketball. That was 2004-2005. He really credited Crum with teaching him about life. Seemed to like Calhoun but did not like when JC would go after players during games. He always said DC would never do that.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
My apologies @ Chin Diesel did not read your post before responding. I instantly thought of Rod when I saw the thread title.

Reaction Score
Denny was an excellent coach and had a great perspective on life.. Always got a kick out of his "shout out" to Coach Wooden with the rolled up game program in hand as his prop.

Reaction Score
He was a class act. Too bad Pitino ruined the schools reputation. Not sure if anyone remembers the McCray brothers, they played for Crum. I dated their cousin for a few years and got to know Rodney fairly well. He was a really good guy. It was after his career we were both in our early 40’s but he never acted like he was entitled. He was a good guy and we always had good laughs. He always spoke highly of Crum and we would always talk UConn basketball. That was 2004-2005. He really credited Crum with teaching him about life. Seemed to like Calhoun but did not like when JC would go after players during games. He always said DC would never do that.
Ok ......the last 2 sentences were not necessary. I'm glad poor Rodney didn't get his feelings hurt playing for Crum.

Reaction Score
After UConn won the championship in 1999 Denny presented the crystal championship trophy to the team at the hotel after the game in front of about 50 fans and the cheerleaders around 2:00AM

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Back in the day, Louisville basketball was my 2nd favorite team to watch only to UConn. Coach Crum could recruit and coach with the best of them.
RIP Coach C

Reaction Score
Like many, Louisville was one of my first favorite teams in the mid 80s as they just had an it factor. I was only 7, but I remember the 86 team with Wagner, Billy Thompson, Herbert Crook and Ellison quite well. RIP

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom