RIP Dame Vera Lynn | The Boneyard

RIP Dame Vera Lynn

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Ms Lynn, who was famous for her WW2 appearances before the troops of the Empire, passed away today at 103. She was famous for "We'll Meet Again", "The White Cliffs of Dover", and many other wartime favorites. She sang to the tommies in Burma, Egypt, India, and throughout Great Britain , even performing during the blitz in London. She was a much beloved figure then and now.

Reaction Score
Ms Lynn, who was famous for her WW2 appearances before the troops of the Empire, passed away today at 103. She was famous for "We'll Meet Again", "The White Cliffs of Dover", and many other wartime favorites. She sang to the tommies in Burma, Egypt, India, and throughout Great Britain , even performing during the blitz in London. She was a much beloved figure then and now.
I know it's difficult for the younger members of the boneyard to visualize but during the height of her career she was Adele, Madonna, Lady Gaga, and Beyonce combined. Not with costumes, pyrotechnics, or dancing puppets but as an entertainer with a marvelous voice who soothed millions at a time when it was sorely needed. RIP Vera, and thank you for your service.

Reaction Score
LUV the Del Vikings a capella version of Vera Lynn's signature song, "White Cliffs of Dover"

Thank you Jingo. Never heard this version before and it is very nice. Their Whispering Bells is on my top five of all time for Rock & Roll.

Reaction Score
Thank you Jingo. Never heard this version before and it is very nice. Their Whispering Bells is on my top five of all time for Rock & Roll.
Yeah I luv 'Bells' too .. but for down-in-the-basement slooow dancing, you'd be hard-pressed to beat the Del Vikings BOMB! ballad, "Heaven on Earth" ... eh?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
One of those people you lose track of and are surprised they weren’t gone long ago. A trooper in the best sense of the word. RIP.
Alexander Glazunov was a great Russian/Soviet composer whose music was a bit of a throwback to the mid-late romantic era. When he died in the 30's, supposedly much of the Soviet populace was shocked, as they'd thought he'd died decades earlier, not because he was so old, but because his music was so old-fashioned.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
The Del Vikings were from the Pittsburgh,Pa area and formed at a military facility near there. I believe it was the Nike site near the old Pittsburgh airport. They had several different iterations due to members being deployed and new ones joining. They were one of the very earliest integrated groups. Local dee jays Porky Chedwick and Sir Walter were playing music of both black and white groups in the late 50s, long before the nationally syndicated stations. Many good Del Vikings tunes were already mentioned, but my favorite has always been "Come Go With Me'. The tune was very popular on the radio and at dances throughout the Pittsburgh area well into the early 70s.

Reaction Score
The Del Vikings were from the Pittsburgh,Pa area and formed at a military facility near there. I believe it was the Nike site near the old Pittsburgh airport. They had several different iterations due to members being deployed and new ones joining. They were one of the very earliest integrated groups. Local dee jays Porky Chedwick and Sir Walter were playing music of both black and white groups in the late 50s, long before the nationally syndicated stations. Many good Del Vikings tunes were already mentioned, but my favorite has always been "Come Go With Me'. The tune was very popular on the radio and at dances throughout the Pittsburgh area well into the early 70s.
Yes .. WAMO legend Porky Chedwick, your "Daddio of the Raddio" .. very famous along with Alan Freed as pioneers in rhythm-n-blues & doo-wop --- www.nydoowop dot com

Bama fan

Reaction Score
WAMO was the home of the soul" in the sixties. Porky was variously the daddio of the raddio, the platter pushin' poppa, the deacon of the dusties, the master of the moldies, and later he became Pork the Tork, and proclaimed on air that "I ain't no George Washington; I'm Pork Torkington". He was a flamboyant character on the Pittsburgh music scene for over five decades. I am one of many who greatly miss him. :cool:

Reaction Score
WAMO was the home of the soul" in the sixties. Porky was variously the daddio of the raddio, the platter pushin' poppa, the deacon of the dusties, the master of the moldies, and later he became Pork the Tork, and proclaimed on air that "I ain't no George Washington; I'm Pork Torkington". He was a flamboyant character on the Pittsburgh music scene for over five decades. I am one of many who greatly miss him. :cool:
Yes .. Porky was very special, brilliant .. i dint get WAMO in NY but heard him when I went to college in western PA, eh?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom