RIP Connie Hawkins | The Boneyard

RIP Connie Hawkins

Reaction Score
Played in my era. Remember his Boys' High team facing off against Roger Brown's Wingate team at old MSG. High school ball was so big in NYC in early 60s and game drew huge numbers.
I believe he went to Indiana U for one year, got tangled up in college hoops scandal and never finished college. Played for Globetrotters for a while before going to old ABA.
Would have been a really great pro in NBA for many years, but I think scandal connection always seemed to haunt him.
May he rest in peace.

Reaction Score
Bed-Sty legend. Remember reading Foul many many years ago. Streetball Icon.

Yeah I read the book at a young age and became an immediate Connie fan loved his game it was basketball beauty. George Gervin two fold did things very few players could do , the finger roll was breathtaking. Back then as a kid I would rather be able to finger roll it in like Connie rather than dunk it home. Never was able to be the great one he was and it’s a shame.

RIP Connie Hawkins

Reaction Score
Mau said it well and I can tell he feels the emotions I do watching that video. For basketball purists, that video literally makes you want to cry. The guy made finger rolls and floaters look like some sort of ballet. Just beautiful.

Reaction Score
I know this puts my in the old guy camp, but I started watching hoops around 1976 with the Doc as my favorite and the ABA still influencing the direction of the game. I always liked the flow and smooth vibe of the play then. It'll never be anything like it with the athleticism of today but it was different from the set shot and hook shot era and was just "smooth" to watch. Hawk was on the Mt Rushmore of that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom