RIP Carl Reiner | The Boneyard

RIP Carl Reiner

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Comic sidekick of Mel Brooks and father of Rob Reiner passed away yesterday. Funny man and a TV pioneer. Reiner claimed to have dated Joan of Arc ; and said he had fathered over 40,000 children, none of whom call him regularly. :D

Reaction Score
I remember very vividly, as a kid in the early 50s, my family gathering around our 12-inch Dumont to watch "Your Show of Shows" starring Sid Caesar, Imogene Coca, Howard Morris and Carl Reiner. It was my family's favourite show on early television. Lotsa laughs for all age groups.

Caesar and Coca were the stars on this ground-breaking comedy show but Reiner and Morris were regulars in my favorite hilarious skit: The Haircuts, a parody of early rock-n-roll groups.

In another skit, Caesar was especially brilliant as a jibber-jabber-speaking Germanic professor, mixing up words from both languages interchangeably! haha

Carl Reiner wrote or co-wrote many of the skits. As such, he was a pioneering actor AND writer in TV comedy. And later on, his son, Rob Reiner, directed my favourite movie, "A Few Good Men".

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Carl Reiner, Actor, Director, Writer, Producer And Mensch, Dies At 98
NPR

Reiner was a funny man. But if there's a theme to his career, it was that he made other comics funnier. He was a mensch. He won nine Emmys and a Grammy. And yet whenever it was time to take credit for something, Reiner would almost always deflect the credit to his partners, whether it was to his longtime collaborator Mel Brooks ("Mel Brooks is the single funniest human being that I ever met") or his wife of almost 65 years, Estelle ("I never felt that I had enough words to be a writer, but my wife is the one who gave me the key.")

Reaction Score
I remember very vividly, as a kid in the early 50s, my family gathering around our 12-inch Dumont to watch "Your Show of Shows" starring Sid Caesar, Imogene Coca, Howard Morris and Carl Reiner. It was my family's favourite show on early television. Lotsa laughs for all age groups.

Caesar and Coca were the stars on this ground-breaking comedy show but Reiner and Morris were regulars in my favorite hilarious skit: The Haircuts, a parody of early rock-n-roll groups.

In another skit, Caesar was especially brilliant as a jibber-jabber-speaking Germanic professor, mixing up words from both languages interchangeably! haha

Carl Reiner wrote or co-wrote many of the skits. As such, he was a pioneering actor AND writer in TV comedy. And later on, his son, Rob Reiner, directed my favourite movie, "A Few Good Men".
Please look up "The Clock" with Sid Caesar please.

Reaction Score

Jingo, thank you for that reminder. We had one of those Dumonts and I actually used to watch the Test Pattern for awhile just before the daily show started. Yes, Caesar was a comic genius. Was it him to did the Monkey Trio? Don't know if you ever saw the movie "My Favorite Year". Great comedy and one of the main characters was based on Sid Caesar and Alan Alda, who I believe portrayed him, did a marvelous job. My Grandmother had the only tv set in the family at that time and in her small living room, on a Saturday night, there were always twelve to fifteen people watching.

Reaction Score
Jingo, thank you for that reminder. We had one of those Dumonts and I actually used to watch the Test Pattern for awhile just before the daily show started. Yes, Caesar was a comic genius. Was it him to did the Monkey Trio? Don't know if you ever saw the movie "My Favorite Year". Great comedy and one of the main characters was based on Sid Caesar and Alan Alda, who I believe portrayed him, did a marvelous job. My Grandmother had the only tv set in the family at that time and in her small living room, on a Saturday night, there were always twelve to fifteen people watching.
The trio of gorillas were called the Nairobi trio....it was the Ernie Kovacs show. My favorite bit as a kid was when Sid C played a silent film male lead actor. When 'talkies' came about, the actor's career was over because he had an hilarious female soprano voice. I think Reiner and Morris were in it. I don't remember laughing so hysterically. He said 'hello' Flo....as in Ziiegfield.

Reaction Score
Comic sidekick of Mel Brooks and father of Rob Reiner passed away yesterday. Funny man and a TV pioneer. Reiner claimed to have dated Joan of Arc ; and said he had fathered over 40,000 children, none of whom call him regularly. :D

Actually, Mel Brooks claimed that. Reiner was the straight man in the 2000-year old man routine. His real claim to fame will be as a Producer of some of the best TV ever broadcast.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The jue de mots was fully intentional. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Carl was a comic genius and will be missed. Fortunately, he leaves us with Rob (Meathead), lots of material on tape, and many memories.

Reaction Score
Hey Steelerone ... wasn't the test pattern on until 5:30pm? Then a bunch of us kids would come running in from stickball or ring-o-leevio to watch "Chuckwagon", a show which played B-Western movies featuring the likes of Bob Steele, Hoot Gibson, Ken Maynard, Johnny Mack Brown and Lash LaRue! haha

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He was hilarious to the end. One tribute noted how he would still watch movies with Mel Brooks. "Our favorites were the ones where someone says "Secure the perimeter!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom