RIP Bob Gibson | The Boneyard

RIP Bob Gibson

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
RIP to the greatest right handed pitcher I ever saw before Nolan Ryan came along. Certainly Gibby was the most competitive. Can we all take a vote to just end 2020 now and be done? #$%K 2020.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bob Gibson & Lou Brock, 2 HOF stars on that great 1964 Cardinal team, both pass away within a month of each other. As a diehard Yankee fan, I watched that series intently as a kid, or at least as much as I could see of the games, running home from school to catch the last few innings. I am feeling very, very old. :(

Reaction Score
In 1968 Gibson had a 1.12 ERA and completed an incredible 28 of his 34 starts and in the 6 games he didn’t finish he was removed for a pinch hitter. In 2019 there was a total of 15 complete games in all of MLB.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Gibson is responsible for my favorite quote from a baseball player. “I have seven pitches: fastball, curveball, slider, changeup, brushback, knockdown, and hit batsman."

They don’t make them like him any more.

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I asked my neighbor, Kurt Bevacqua, who the toughest pitcher he ever faced was and he immediately answered "Bob Gibson." The only thing surprising about that is that I still have neighbors who are willing to talk to me.

Reaction Score
No one mentioned that Bob Gibson also played for the Harlem Globe Trotters. He was a great athlete.

1601741743354.png

Reaction Score
Bob Gibson & Lou Brock, 2 HOF stars on that great 1964 Cardinal team, both pass away within a month of each other. As a diehard Yankee fan, I watched that series intently as a kid, or at least as much as I could see of the games, running home from school to catch the last few innings. I am feeling very, very old. :(
The teachers back then allowed us to listen to the games in class with transistor radios, reception scratchy at best but we listened nevertheless. The evening paper always had a partial score on the front page.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Gibson is responsible for my favorite quote from a baseball player. “I have seven pitches: fastball, curveball, slider, changeup, brushback, knockdown, and hit batsman.

They don’t make them like him any more.
You remind me of a story told by Bill White, Gibson’s longtime teammate with the Cardinals. Later in his career White was traded from the Cards to the Phillies. The first time he batted against Gibson, White stepped up to the plate and gave his old friend and teammate a big smile and hello.

Gibson’s first pitch to White drilled him in the back, clearly making the point to White that they were on different teams now.

Reaction Score
Here's another quote:

"I've played a couple of hundred games of tic-tac-toe with my little daughter and she hasn't beaten me yet. I've always had to win. I've got to win." Source: The Summer Game (Roger Angell)

Reaction Score
Bob Gibson had the heart of a lion!
He once finished an inning getting 2 outs after getting his lower leg broken with a ball hit up the middle!
He, Don Drysdale, Sal Maglie, and Nolan Ryan were the "meanest" pitchers of their eras!
Sal (The Barber) Maglie. Saw him pitch against my Pirates a few times. Had one of the greatest curve balls I've ever seen. Lost a few years when he went down to the Mexican League and they tried to ban him.

Reaction Score
Bob Gibson was one of the greatest pitchers of my or anyone else's generation. Not only was he one of the greatest pitchers, he was also one of, if not the best, fielding and hitting pitchers ever to take the field. I hated him when he pitched against my Bucs but opposing fans tend to hate the great ones while they are young and grow to appreciate them when they finally get some sense in their heads.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Bob Gibson was one of the greatest pitchers of my or anyone else's generation. Not only was he one of the greatest pitchers, he was also one of, if not the best, fielding and hitting pitchers ever to take the field. I hated him when he pitched against my Bucs but opposing fans tend to hate the great ones while they are young and grow to appreciate them when they finally get some sense in their heads.
I hated Gibson when I was a kid. I remember when he drilled both Banks and Santos in a game on WGN, Leo was pissed after the second HBP. The first Cardinal up to bat in the next inning got drilled in the back in retaliation. Back then they didn't throw the pitcher or manager out for retaliation HPB's.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Sal (The Barber) Maglie. Saw him pitch against my Pirates a few times. Had one of the greatest curve balls I've ever seen. Lost a few years when he went down to the Mexican League and they tried to ban him.
Love Maglie's nickname. Did Gibson have a nickname? There's probably been a BY nickname thread before but I've never seen one.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Gibby or Hoot were his nicknames. The first one is pretty obvious.

Reaction Score
To put Bob Gibson, consider the following:

1968-71 Gibson started 134 games, completed 99(!) of them, with 25 shutouts. Had a 2.32 ERA over that time period, won a MVP and 2 Cy Youngs, and had 35.5 WAR (and led the NL - all players - three straight years). And, oh yeah, had 28 hit batters. Perhaps some unintentional.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After the 1968 season MLB lowered the height of the mound from 15" to 10" above the baselines and home plate. Pitchers dominated hitters in '68. Gibson had an ERA of 1.12 and Denny McLain won 31 games.

How would you like to stand 60'6" away from Bob Gibson?

Reaction Score
I was a young kid following the Red Sox in 1967. Gibson had three complete game wins in the World Series, allowing just 3 runs. He hit a home run to boot.

Reaction Score
After the 1968 season MLB lowered the height of the mound from 15" to 10" above the baselines and home plate. Pitchers dominated hitters in '68. Gibson had an ERA of 1.12 and Denny McLain won 31 games.

And 13(!) shutouts in 1968. That is not a misprint.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom