RIP Billy Packer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RIP Billy Packer

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Trajan traveled...AND...he tripped!!!

Reaction Score
I was never a huge fan, but I respected the guy. He knew the game, for sure, and represented his craft as well as anyone.

I will admit the Chris Smith 'carry' v 'crossover' got on my nerves. To this day, I'm not sure why he singled Smith out. Plenty of guys were using similar styles/dribbling. Just with Smith's quickness and accuracy, it was an unpleasant combination for a defender.

Still, RIP Mr. Packer and prayer and best wishes to your family and loved ones.

Reaction Score
RIP Billy Packer, was amazing at his craft a great historian of the game, his analysis of the 99 team was a master piece, he basically called the Langdon travel before it happened.

Would love to hear what he would be saying today particularly about Hurley.

“Hurley is out of control you do not wanna pick up a tech here”

“When the ball goes to Sanogo he gets swallowed up inside too often, you have got to give Donovan Clignan more minutes”

Reaction Score
I seem to remember a spiff with JC over I think a Sellers foot stomping that Packer called out on national TV and JC never forgave him. You could always feel in the post game interviews JC was making Packer uncomfortable.
JC certainly stood up for his boys like a fierce parent would.

Reaction Score
In 1962 my Dad took me to Philly to see Ivy champ Yale play #3 ranked Wake Forest in the nightcap of a first round NCAA tourney tripleheader at The Palestra. I was in awe upon entering the "Cathedral of Basketball", packed to the rafters. Yale was a huge underdog, but took Wake to double OT before succumbing. I didn't know until decades later that Wake was quarterbacked by point guard Billy Packer.

Reaction Score
Miss his son Mark on college sports radio especially with Dakich. The younger guys they have now I find generally unlistenable. Guess I’m officially old.

Reaction Score
Rip for sure. But I’ll always remember how much it seemed like he hated Uconn. And then Jim nantz who was a Uconn fan would try to balance him off. He wasn’t too anti Uconn in that 99 final tho. Might have to watch that today

Reaction Score
Sorry for his passing but hated him as an announcer. He was a smug son of a gun.

Reaction Score
My favorite was 2004 when Packer said that St. Joseph's #1 seed in the tourney was a joke, making coach Phil Martelli's head explode. Was some great beef!

Man, that was a fantastic year in sports. UConn men, UConn women, Red Sox.

Reaction Score
He had some iconic calls in our games, but to be honest I always found him to be kind of a curmudgeon (not in an endearing way) and wasn't exactly heartbroken when CBS moved on.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He had some iconic calls in our games, but to be honest I always found him to be kind of a curmudgeon (not in an endearing way) and wasn't exactly heartbroken when CBS moved on.
He stunk.

Reaction Score
Was always too much of an ACC fan in his broadcasts -and I really think he hated Calhoun and upstart Connecticut

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom