RIP Bill Walton | Page 3 | The Boneyard

RIP Bill Walton

Reaction Score
Legendary player and absolute menace as an announcer in the best of ways. RIP

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Sad Cartoon GIF
I think at the moment he's forty minutes into a five hour conversation with Jerry that's already gone off on about seven tangents.

Reaction Score
Bummed for a lot of reasons. Athlete, announcer, music lover, historian, and a guy who loved and seemed interested in every person he met. I don't think he ever forgot a person, place or thing he encountered, or a book he read. Though he may have forgotten universes only he visited, or what game he was at in the middle of a reminiscence. On the Westwood One post game broadcast of our previous Championship in 2013 he laid out the most effusive praise of UConn Basketball I'd ever heard. It was refreshing given the fact we always seemed to have naysayers regardless of our success. Never forgot that.

RIP Bill Walton - say hey to Jerry

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
A lot of people on this forum have said they'd mute the TV when he was on. I always enjoyed his ramblings. "Have you ever been to a volcano?"

Of course he's not in the HOF for his color commentary. A top-10 if not top-5 college player and then an NBA MVP. And his injuries robbed him of what would have been an even greater NBA career.

Reaction Score
This is a tough one for me. I remember being in Memphis where I was going to school and listening on the radio to UCLA destroy Memphis State in the National Championship game with Bill doing the most damage.
As great a player as he was I truly loved watching and listening to him on tv coverage and I always had to defend his unique, funny and entertaining antics.
For some reason there were many here attacking that but each to their own. A monumental loss for the world of basketball. RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

Reaction Score
A lot of people on this forum have said they'd mute the TV when he was on. I always enjoyed his ramblings. "Have you ever been to a volcano?"

Of course he's not in the HOF for his color commentary. A top-10 if not top-5 college player and then an NBA MVP. And his injuries robbed him of what would have been an even greater NBA career.
Definitely top-4. He, Lew, Russell and Maravich have the most incredible college résumé’s.

Reaction Score
i thought I share one of my favorite Walton Quotesc
”“In life, being so self-conscious, red hair, big nose, freckles and goofy, nerdy-looking face and can’t talk at all. I was incredibly shy and never said a word,” Walton told The Oregonian newspaper in 2017. “Then, when I was 28 I learned how to speak. It’s become my greatest accomplishment of my life and everybody else’s biggest nightmare”
RIP Bill

Reaction Score
i thought I share one of my favorite Walton Quotesc
”“In life, being so self-conscious, red hair, big nose, freckles and goofy, nerdy-looking face and can’t talk at all. I was incredibly shy and never said a word,” Walton told The Oregonian newspaper in 2017. “Then, when I was 28 I learned how to speak. It’s become my greatest accomplishment of my life and everybody else’s biggest nightmare”
RIP Bill
That’s a beauty.

Reaction Score
Really shocked when I heard the news. I didn't even know he was sick. Did he keep it secret or did I just not know?

Reaction Score
I’ll never forget watching the 1973 NCAA final vs Memphis State . 44 pts on 21 of 22 . . Totally unstoppable.
That game was one of the most dominant performances I've ever seen. He had four other baskets that were disallowed because they were too close to being dunks (then banned).

Per the Athletic:
He was never close to 100% after UCLA.
He said he suffered a knee injury on the playground as a youth and was never the same. “My legs were pretty much shot by the time I got to the NBA in 1974,” Walton wrote. “I peaked when I was 12.” He had an unimaginable 39 surgeries on his legs, ankles and feet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom