RIP Bill Buckner | The Boneyard

RIP Bill Buckner

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Red Sox legend , and long time player on several teams, died of dementia at 69 years of age.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
That stinks. Horrible way to go.

I’m a lifelong sawx fan. I think the famous play came about due to managerial error. There’s no way someone with his bad wheels should have been playing defense late in a big game.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Buckner came up in the Dodger system, and played in LA for 8 years. He badly injured his ankle in 1974, and had 2 operations on it--in 1974+1975.
I remember at that time, that it greatly affected his play. He was a great left-fielder in LA, but after the injury, things went downhill.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score

I’m a lifelong sawx fan. I think the famous play came about due to managerial error. There’s no way someone with his bad wheels should have been playing defense late in a big game.
You are correct! Most of the season and certainly in the latter part, Bill was subbed out in the late innings, for the specific reason of a potential error. As a staunch Red Sox fan my whole life, since my Dad was one, I never felt worse for Billy Buck. RIP my good man.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed watching him play for the Cubs - such a wonderful hitter. Watching your loved one slowing disappear while fighting that disease is so sad. R.I.P.

Reaction Score

Boy, ain't that the truth BB. I was watching that game intently, and when the Sox took the field in that fateful inning I wondered aloud why the manager had not pulled Bill Buckner for someone else - he was obviously hurting badly. When that game ended, I just went outside and walked these country roads around here....I kept wondering why the Sox were always so star-crossed. Anyway, RIP Billy Buckner, you were a damn good player, and I'm so happy he got to go back to Fenway years later and throw out the first pitch- and get cheered heavily.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Wonderful ovation for him in 2008 when he arrived to throw out the first pitch of the season...

It shouldn't have been necessary to stage an apologetic return, due to the deplorable fanbase treating him like garbage for so many years after the 1986 season.

Hopefully he'll be remembered positively going forward, not just for one lone mistake. Keep in mind his play didn't lose that WS. They could have come back and won Game 7.

It's truly tragic to have to live through what that disease does, both for the victims and their families.

RIP, Billy Buckner.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Dave Stapleton always came in for Buckner, except this one time when McNamara decided Buckner should be on the field for the big one.

Shiraldi got two outs and then gave up three straight singles on fastballs down the middle. Stanley came in and wild pitched in the tying run. At that point, the momentum was entirely in favor of the home team Mets. Even if he fielded it cleanly, I think Mookie Wilson had a very good chance of beating it out. At best they were going to extra innings at that point.

In game seven McNamara surprisingly came in with Shiraldi again, who nervously gave up three runs in a third of an inning, the score going from 3-3 to 6-3. Final was 8-5.

The primary culprits were McNamara, Shiraldi, and Stanley in that order.

He was a great hitter, a pro’s pro. RIP Bill Buckner.

Reaction Score
I remember him from his Chicago Cubs days, especially during that 1980 season. One of my all-time favorite baseball cards was of him. Also loved how crazy Harry Carey would get whenever Buckner was at the plate. I wish folks would remember him more for his 2,000 plus hits than that one play during the World Series. Dude was an elite hitter for 2 decades.

Reaction Score
At the time I read somewhere that Buckner did not want to leave and he made that clear to McNamara. After 33 yrs, please do not ask me to find it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Dave Stapleton always came in for Buckner, except this one time when McNamara decided Buckner should be on the field for the big one.
McNamara really didn't decide. Buckner demanded he be put in the game and unfortunately McNamara gave in. I never felt too bad about Buckner because if you argue your way in, you have to make the play. He didn't make the play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom