Ring The Bell ... hopefully they really will | The Boneyard

Ring The Bell ... hopefully they really will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've noticed that UCONN marketing has increased the emphasis of "Ring The Bell". T-shirts, coaching interviews, and twitter hash tags have all increased the use of the term.

However, if marketing has decided to increase the emphasis on the slogan ... will the game day experience increase the visibility of the actual bell ringing? If they continue to utilize it the same way then it will be an anonymous after thought drowned out by PA music or the band playing the fight song.

Therefore I suggest:

1 - Have the male cheerleaders wheel the bell to a more visible location - near the goal post?
2 - Nominate an alumnus/former player/Jonathan to ring the bell.
3 - Make it a stadium wide event. Cheerleaders and band members can lead the fans in counting.

I know to some of you this is a minor game day detail that you may not even have known about. But I think there is potential to create something unique to UCONN football. UCONN has obviously made a greater effort to market the term ... now I hope they follow through and enhance the tradition.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
DING MOTHERF**KING DONG!!!! - Steve Lattimer, DE, Eastern State University Timber Wolves - The Program, 1993

That would be a great T-shirt...

I know I've posted this in another thread, but I'm getting fired up, in no small part to this clip (Audio - NSFW).

Husky25

Reaction Score
I've noticed that UCONN marketing has increased the emphasis of "Ring The Bell". T-shirts, coaching interviews, and twitter hash tags have all increased the use of the term.

However, if marketing has decided to increase the emphasis on the slogan ... will the game day experience increase the visibility of the actual bell ringing? If they continue to utilize it the same way then it will be an anonymous after thought drowned out by PA music or the band playing the fight song.

Therefore I suggest:

1 - Have the male cheerleaders wheel the bell to a more visible location - near the goal post?
2 - Nominate an alumnus/former player/Jonathan to ring the bell.
3 - Make it a stadium wide event. Cheerleaders and band members can lead the fans in counting.

I know to some of you this is a minor game day detail that you may not even have known about. But I think there is potential to create something unique to UCONN football. UCONN has obviously made a greater effort to market the term ... now I hope they follow through and enhance the tradition.

I believe, they have the bell in UConn's endzone. Jonathan and the cheerleaders do pushups for the amount of total points on the score board. This done right after the fight song after the extra point.

Reaction Score
I sit right behind the bell and I usually can't hear it. It's next to the cheerleaders and I believe a band member rings it.

Play the fight song, do the U-C-O-N-N chant, then ring the ducking bell.

Reaction Score
It was actually louder & better heard at Memorial Stadium than it is at the RENT.
Put a microphone near it.

Reaction Score
I can usually pick it up pretty easily right after the fight song.

Reaction Score
I believe, they have the bell in UConn's endzone. Jonathan and the cheerleaders do pushups for the amount of total points on the score board. This done right after the fight song after the extra point.

I know about the bell. My inspiration to start this thread came from when I was shopping at the UCONN co-op last saturday. A player and his parents were shopping for T-shirts and the mom asked her kid what "Ring The Bell" means. player responded ... "I have no idea" ...

What I am trying to say is: If the UCONN marketing department decided to make "Ring The Bell" a T-shirt ... then do something to make the bell a more prominent part of the game day experience.

Then you might even sell more T-shirts because people will actually know what the bell is without being an alum or sitting 2 rows behind it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I know about the bell. My inspiration to start this thread came from when I was shopping at the UCONN co-op last saturday. A player and his parents were shopping for T-shirts and the mom asked her kid what "Ring The Bell" means. player responded ... "I have no idea" ...

So you should have painted your face like Skelator and yelled in the most guttural voice you could muster, "DING - MOTHERF**KIN' - DONG!!!!! :D

P.S. I know I keep on writing it, but it's a h3ll of a lot better than "20 minutes," or an any of the other negative bologna on here lately.

Husky25

Reaction Score
GetImage.iaspx

So the coaches in Storrs are channeling their inner East Hampton, CT roots!!!!

Reaction Score
Have a bunch of hot chicks (dance team if they have one) ring bells.. and play head ringing.

Reaction Score
A player and his parents were shopping for T-shirts and the mom asked her kid what "Ring The Bell" means. player responded ... "I have no idea" ...
I know about the bell, but it definitely had a different meaning during years on the Storrs campus. At least for some alumni, seeing a "Ring The Bell" shirt or hearing about "Ring(ing) The Bell" prompts a sophomoric chuckle. ;)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
First we need to actually score enough points so the bell rings more than three times a game. Ok got my offense bashing out of the way.....

The bell is rung by a band member (got to do it my senior year in Memorial stadium in '03) I think they should find a way to mic it as they do ring it while the band is playing the fight song. However, I can see how mic'ing the bell could be loud and annoying, kind of like the Temple screeching Owl, etc...So it's gotta be a happy medium. That being said, the OP was spot on that if you're making this the hasthtag this year on twitter, every coach is using it, and it's on the T-shirts, then you gotta make it prominent.

I always found it odd that they used Ring The Bell on the shirts as not many knew it was rung. Why not put Stick it In, Stick It In, Stick It In on a shirt and sell more from all the people with dirty minds! Hahahaha. At least more UConn fans know that cheer.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
kind of like the Temple screeching Owl, etc...

I think the Temple "screeching Owl" is the same sound effect the Eagles use after the score. Heh.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, this isn't the first time Ring The Bell has been on t-shirts, it might be the first time it's been quite so prominent, but I'm fairly certain I have older shirts with the slogan on it

pj

Reaction Score
I think they should mount a giant 60 foot tall bell on top of one end of the stadium and have to give earmuffs to everybody in that end of the stadium because of public health requirements. If the bell cracks after a UConn touchdown, even better.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
As a UCMB alumnus it pains me to say this, but IMHO the band should take the mic(s) that they use on themselves in the stands and place them around the bell.

The UCMB is great and always have been, but big-time college bands don't need or use mics. They just don't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom