Ring of Honor question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ring of Honor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Anyone know why it took so long to get Caron's name/number up there? I saw he went right next to Shabazz, who left only 2 years ago. Realize Bazz won two NCs while Caron didn't win any, just curious why it took so long for Caron....he's clearly one of the all-time greats at UConn.
Stupid question. Who does the selection? If coaches, well I am sure KO put Bazz up. Just a guess. Is there a selection group?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
As good as they were, I really can't see Adrien or Giffey being added.
Maybe, but it would be a change if an exchange student were honored? A little PR for European players?

Reaction Score
For Drummond to make it to the Ring it would have to be due to his contributions to the school and program over the course of the remainder of his NBA career and beyond. To date I don't think any one year player has come close to earning a spot based on what he did as a player here. Someone would need to accomplish something similar to Davis in his one year at Kentucky in order to make it on the wall for one season.

For Drummond to make it: write a big check.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree there. Caron is as deserving as anyone who didn't win a national title at UConn with the exception of Ray. Rudy is one of a few who were a step below that.
I probably should've done a better job explaining - sorry.

On the same day that Rudy Gay was inducted into the Huskies of Honor, it was announced that Ben Gordon and Caron Butler would be future inductees, but scheduling would need to be worked out to get them to a Gampel game. So, the only reason Rudy Gay was inducted into the Huskies of Honor before Caron Butler was simply a scheduling and timing issue, not because UConn felt Rudy was more deserving.

Reaction Score
Top two missing are Gordon and Thabeet...after that its just a great bunch of role players...what the heck, open it up for everyone.....too many fond memories.

Reaction Score
Top two missing are Gordon and Thabeet...after that its just a great bunch of role players...what the heck, open it up for everyone.....too many fond memories.

Honestly, if Thabeet is there than AJ needs to be there. Because AJ > Thabeet. (And actually, if we're talking about Boat being on there, AJ needs to be before that too.)

Reaction Score
I think Thabeet generally gets short-changed on this board because of the DeJuan Blair thing and because he was a bust in the NBA. He was a terrific player for us - 2nd team all-American.

Reaction Score
Does Scott Burrell deserve consideration? He was a monster in his final season and had a nice NBA career including at least one championship.

Reaction Score
I think Thabeet generally gets short-changed on this board because of the DeJuan Blair thing and because he was a bust in the NBA. He was a terrific player for us - 2nd team all-American.

So was AJ. And he was our best player and leader on a final four team.

Reaction Score
So was AJ. And he was our best player and leader on a final four team.

A.J. was a really good player. I don't think he was better than Hasheem or even Jeff. You could argue that he was our most important player, but the identity of that team was dominance defensively and on the glass - that all started with the man in the middle.

Reaction Score
The latter, one of the worst busts in NBA history , given curry and other stars were available . Still has a great resume in college IMO

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Gordon is the only one. Are we really discussing Jeff Adrien and Taleik Brown? Both great guys and great contributors, but if we're including them, may as well include the likes of Kirk King and Jerome Dyson. Not a chance.

The only other option I could see is since they inducted the 99 team, including the Dream Season team that was the first to put UConn on the map. Only problem with that is reassembling the team sans Tate George would be....awkward. But that squad deserves to be up there as much as any other.

King and Dyson the same as Taleik? What are you smoking?
TB was a 4 year starter and won an NCAA

I have no problem nominating a team/year

Reaction Score
I'm all for My Man Taliek Brown.

Freshman point guard (solo no mentor) held it down for the future AJP, Marcus, Kemba, etc...
Managed the biggest set of talent and egos ever assembled at UConn
Multiple BE titles (I'm guessing here)
Fearless leader and competitor on the Court
Tough SOB (never backed down from a challenge)
Won a Championship his final year
4 year UConn player, no controversy

Was he our best point guard, no. Was he the right point guard for those players, absolutely yes.

I'd like to see a 'non-superstar' but qualified player on the wall to give others hope. To me that player is Taliek. Even @mauconnfan wouldn't argue giving Taliek some recognition (I think) :cool:.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Three guys come to mind for me to be installed - Ben Gordon without question, Jeff Adrien - a workhorse for 4 years who carried the team in many games, and T Brown (I know there are many who disagree but he came in and point guarded UConn to a championship 2 elite 8s, 3 sweet 16s, 4 BE championships-2 reg season and 2 tournaments)
I would also like to see Giffs in there someday
Besides Gordon, none of the others deserve to be there. This should be for the best of the best and while solid, I don't think they belong. I don't want us to turn into the Yankees. At least the UCONN numbers are just honored, not retired. Are any actually retired?

Reaction Score
A.J. was a really good player. I don't think he was better than Hasheem or even Jeff. You could argue that he was our most important player, but the identity of that team was dominance defensively and on the glass - that all started with the man in the middle.

He was our best player (and quite frankly, vastly underrated here.) Jeff was a workhorse, and one of my favorite players of all time, but AJ ran that team. He was the leader. He was the offense. There's a reason we lost a Final Four game because they "cut off the head of the snake" aka..only cared about shutting down AJ.

Thabeet improved tremendously, and was a great defensive player in his final season. But he wasn't AJ.

If anyone from that Final Four team should be on the wall of honor, it should be Price. (I wouldn't be opposed to more than one though. But Price should be the number one option.)

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He was our best player (and quite frankly, vastly underrated here.) Jeff was a workhorse, and one of my favorite players of all time, but AJ ran that team. He was the leader. He was the offense. There's a reason we lost a Final Four game because they "cut off the head of the snake" aka..only cared about shutting down AJ.

Thabeet improved tremendously, and was a great defensive player in his final season. But he wasn't AJ.

If anyone from that Final Four team should be on the wall of honor, it should be Price. (I wouldn't be opposed to more than one though. But Price should be the number one option.)

I fear Laptopgate might keep AJ out.

Reaction Score
I could definitely see Thabeet having a chance. Any player who JC claimed to be the best/most important player in the country has a shot. I think he's just out.

Henefeld and Burrell are really interesting cases. Burrell seems so borderline, but just out.

Alterique Gilbert, I think, might be the next one (apart from those who have been approved but not yet been canonized).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom