Ring of Honor question | The Boneyard

Ring of Honor question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone know why it took so long to get Caron's name/number up there? I saw he went right next to Shabazz, who left only 2 years ago. Realize Bazz won two NCs while Caron didn't win any, just curious why it took so long for Caron....he's clearly one of the all-time greats at UConn.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
2 year player . No NC.

He certainly deserves it but the immediate additions are for the legendary runs.

Reaction Score
Im not sure theres an exact reason why it took almost 10 years to induct Butler in the Huskies of Honor. After the first class that was honored in 2007, it took 4 years until they put another player up there with Kemba in 2011...Toner was inducted in 2009. Rudy Gay was inducted in 2012, El-Amin and Shabazz in 2014, and now Butler in 2016. Right now, there probably are not many more players deserving of the honor outside of Ben Gordon who I think needs to be in.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
the preference is to honor the players at a game they are actually able to attend. I believe Caron and Ben were scheduled to be inducted a couple years ago and then we're not able to attend (maybe due to a snow storm) so the ceremonies were postponed.

NBA players have pretty busy schedules I guess

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There are no rules. The worst snub was to KEA. He should have been put up the year after he left.

Reaction Score
the preference is to honor the players at a game they are actually able to attend. I believe Caron and Ben were scheduled to be inducted a couple years ago and then we're not able to attend (maybe due to a snow storm) so the ceremonies were postponed.

NBA players have pretty busy schedules I guess

NBA Lockout. Game versus Harvard. They were going to have Rip and Butler (Maybe El-Amin actually) but they delayed it when they NBA guys had to go back to work a few days before when the lockout was resolved. I was going to be at that one.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
NBA Lockout. Game versus Harvard. They were going to have Rip and Butler (Maybe El-Amin actually) but they delayed it when they NBA guys had to go back to work a few days before when the lockout was resolved. I was going to be at that one.

Right right. I had tix to that one also

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Three guys come to mind for me to be installed - Ben Gordon without question, Jeff Adrien - a workhorse for 4 years who carried the team in many games, and T Brown (I know there are many who disagree but he came in and point guarded UConn to a championship 2 elite 8s, 3 sweet 16s, 4 BE championships-2 reg season and 2 tournaments)
I would also like to see Giffs in there someday

Reaction Score
@gtcam I like the nod to giffey. He might not have been THE guy, but he was a loyal 4 year guy that made major contributions to 2 NC teams and improved his game by leaps and bounds in his years as a husky. I'd love to see him up there some day.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Where do you end it? Donny Marshall, Ricky More. I think they do a pretty good job. There is a difference between Giff and Adrien and the people on that wall. Gordon needs to be in, but I don't think that is a problem. Now 2 year guys can be there, that was a barrier holding back Caron. I wonder if they will ever allow a one year player. If so, Henefeld is much more deserving than Drummond.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For Drummond to make it to the Ring it would have to be due to his contributions to the school and program over the course of the remainder of his NBA career and beyond. To date I don't think any one year player has come close to earning a spot based on what he did as a player here. Someone would need to accomplish something similar to Davis in his one year at Kentucky in order to make it on the wall for one season.

Reaction Score
What I don't get is why Rudy ended up there before Caron. I see no way to justify that one.
Just timing is all. Wasn't like one deserved it more than the other.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Just timing is all. Wasn't like one deserved it more than the other.
I respectfully disagree there. Caron is as deserving as anyone who didn't win a national title at UConn with the exception of Ray. Rudy is one of a few who were a step below that.

Reaction Score
Gordon is the only one. Are we really discussing Jeff Adrien and Taleik Brown? Both great guys and great contributors, but if we're including them, may as well include the likes of Kirk King and Jerome Dyson. Not a chance.

The only other option I could see is since they inducted the 99 team, including the Dream Season team that was the first to put UConn on the map. Only problem with that is reassembling the team sans Tate George would be....awkward. But that squad deserves to be up there as much as any other.

Reaction Score
If I missed it I apologize but how has boat not been mentioned stayed with us through the ban major contributor on nc team I get the teams performance in his senior year wasn't great but he definitely deserves to be there I'd say Ben first then boat

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
As good as they were, I really can't see Adrien or Giffey being added.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Gordon is the only one. Are we really discussing Jeff Adrien and Taleik Brown? Both great guys and great contributors, but if we're including them, may as well include the likes of Kirk King and Jerome Dyson. Not a chance.

The only other option I could see is since they inducted the 99 team, including the Dream Season team that was the first to put UConn on the map. Only problem with that is reassembling the team sans Tate George would be....awkward. But that squad deserves to be up there as much as any other.

We'd have to put Tate's inmate number up. That would require a really wide banner.

Reaction Score

I agree with the point you are making. Once you get past Ben Gordon, Its hard to point to any one player without making an argument for others. I mean if they put Niels Giffey in, why would they not put in Rashad Anderson? If Jeff Adrien goes in, then why dont they honor Thabeet as well?

Reaction Score
I agree with the point you are making. Once you get past Ben Gordon, Its hard to point to any one player without making an argument for others. I mean if they put Niels Giffey in, why would they not put in Rashad Anderson? If Jeff Adrien goes in, then why dont they honor Thabeet as well?
Exactly. The honor is not for role players and guys who toughed it out. It's for those who performed the best of the best of those who've put on the uniform. To put it plainly, if you played post-1995 and didn't maintain an NBA career (and aren't named Khalid), you aren't getting in. Boatright, Giffey, Adrien, etc. all while great Huskies aren't in the same category as those on the wall. We all may like them as players and what they were part of accomplishing, but not a chance. I would vomit if Thabeet made it up there, one of the most overrated guys to ever come through UConn.

Reaction Score
Lots of very good huskies are not going to make the wall Freeman, Burrell, Giffey, Adrien, Taliek..even John Selvie ( Lets start a petition)

If everyone with a good career makes the Wall of Honor it sort of diminishes the greatness of the honor. Ben Gordon has already been slated to join the group. I think Jeremy Lamb deserves consideration and maybe Drummond - because it never hurts recruiting to see NBA all-stars associated with the program.

Reaction Score
What I don't get is why Rudy ended up there before Caron. I see no way to justify that one.
I thought one of the major criteria is if you're a First Team All American you automatically go in. That's why Rudy went right in after 2006. I can't remember how close Caron was to being a First Team All American but he must have been close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom